Most Active

Pretzel/cracker substitute?

TJN66
on 8/11/10 9:39 pm - Elmira, NY
What can I use for a pretzel substitute?  Or a cracker substitute?  I love the light laughing cow cheese and I would love to have some of it on a cracker or a pretzel. 

Any suggestions?
Tammy       250 presurg/160 surgeons goal
                  130 my goal/130 currently

Vivian Prouty
on 8/11/10 9:45 pm - Fort Worth, TX
RNY on 11/22/05 with
 You can order some protein pretzels on Kay's Natural's website and also Focus 28 have them.   I use FF crackers sometimes but be aware that these don't have any great nutritional values.    Have you tried microwaving Turkey Pepperoni?   It is really awesome and all protein.   You can use this in the place of chips and crackers.    Also something good is taking a container of cottage cheese and some dry Ranch dressing mix and mixing them together in a blender till smooth and adding a little milk.   I use this as a veggie dip and it is yummy and almost all protein with little calories ( FYI....my family thinks it is Ranch Dip...I don't tell them it is really cottage cheese.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

BlueberryBB
on 8/11/10 9:46 pm
 I get either Lentil chips or Humus chips from Whole foods.  Yummy.  
Dawn

207 lbs lost; 47 to goal
raerin
on 8/12/10 5:55 am
RNY on 07/21/10 with
My fiance discovered pork rinds that are low-fat.  How?  they're not fried ahead of time.  Basically they come in a bag like unpopped popcorn, and you 'nuke' it for 90 seconds.   It's high in protein, has lots of crunch, and only has 2 grams of fat.   Only drawback is the sodium.  He and I both have low blood pressure, so that's not a concern for us, but for some it would be.

Last night he made them and dipped with Hummus and said it was YUM (he is 1.5 years post op).  I'm sill in puree stage, but would definitely consider using those crumbled up or as a crust on things instead of flour!

Rachel        "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you" - Hillel                                                                     Starting Weight: 248/ S W: 244/ CW: 176

Kris H.
on 8/12/10 6:04 am - Columbia, MD
 What is the brand?  Where did you get them?  Thanks!
raerin
on 8/12/10 7:18 am
RNY on 07/21/10 with
Amazon.com is my friend..  :)  They're called Lowerey's Bacon curls Microwave pork rinds.

Here's the link:  www.amazon.com/Lowreys-Microwave-Original-1-75-Ounce-Package s/dp/B000UPFWW6/ref=sr_1_1

Full  nutrition info:

Serving size: 1/2 oz

Servings per container:  3.5

PER SERVING:

Calories: 60
Calories from fat: 15

Total Fat: 2g
Saturated Fat: 0g

Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 350 mg
Total Carbohydrate: <1g
Protein: 9g

Strangely though, it then says:  "not a significant source of protein".  Not sure why

I've not had any yet - but he says they're yum.
  Rachel        "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you" - Hillel                                                                     Starting Weight: 248/ S W: 244/ CW: 176

tee_lee
on 8/12/10 6:48 am - Columbia, SC
Those actually sound good. :)
Where did he find them? Are they in the chip aisle or popcorn aisle?

DeborahWright34
on 8/12/10 6:06 am
I occasionally will eat True North Pistachio Cracker/chips with cheese, these crackers are made with ground nuts so they have protein and are lower in carbs, I don't eat very many maybe 4 at a time is all but they are yummy

Deborah Wright

altheda71
on 8/12/10 7:03 am - Bear, DE

Shortly before surgery I discovered Cheez Its...OMG.  I loved the Smokey Cheddar/Monterey Jack mixed box and I have unfortunately carried over the habit to post op.  I don't eat them that often, but if they are in the house it's like I will substitute a protein snack for them b/c they are easy and available.

What kind of option would you guys suggest?  I love cheese and spice.

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
Kris H.
on 8/12/10 7:07 am - Columbia, MD
 Have you ever made your own?  I take a small plate, Pam it really well, put a slice of reduced fat cheese (or a circle of shredded) and microwave it till it's brown.  Take it out, put it on another plate, and let it cool.  It crisps up nicely.  I love it.
altheda71
on 8/12/10 7:58 am - Bear, DE
I will try that.  I remember something about this from my atkins days!

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
Kris H.
on 8/12/10 7:59 am - Columbia, MD
 Yup, that's where it's from!
Chilipepper
on 8/12/10 7:31 am
These are my goto crackers...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fNxDuEdjL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpgOR

LF Rye Wasa crackers..

"Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be-
but before you start pointing fingers... make sure your hands are clean!"

— Bob Marley

Shellbop
on 8/12/10 9:23 am
RNY on 03/12/10 with
Has anyone ever tried these?  If so, what are your thoughts?  Thanks!

Nut Thins Barbecue Nut and Rice Cracker
-Vii-
on 8/12/10 1:15 pm - MN
I  have had other flavors of the Nut-Thins and thought they were pretty good.  Never tried the BBQ.  Sound good though.  Can usually only eat a couple anyways and then full, but nice for a crunch occassionally

Carolyn "Vii"

rbb825
on 8/12/10 8:31 pm - Suffern, NY
You are 5 months out, why can't you have cheese and crackers or an occasional pretzel?  I was allowed cheese and crackers at 5 weeks out as a meal.  Pretzels I waited much longer but I do eat them