Insurance & Skin removal

Kimberly129
on 9/4/10 3:31 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 12/02/10 with
I had read here a few times that there are some insurance that will pay for the skin removal, I was just wondering if anyone has actually ever had their insurance pay for skin removal and if so where did they approve skin to be removed from?
HW389 SW367 CW273 GW180 
1lb lost is 1 step closer to your g
oal !!

Deedles
on 9/4/10 4:11 pm - Highlands, TX
I have BCBSTX and they will pay for a pannilectomy IF it's medically necessary. That means I have to keep records, with pictures, of any/all rashes, infections, etc. and they also have to be documented by my PCP. I'll also need copies of any prescriptions filled to treat these rashes and infections.

It's funny...or sad....that we spend years doing everything we can to avoid getting these rashes and problems from folds of skin rubbing together and in order to correct the problem that's causing them, we have to intentionally allow the rashes and infections to occur just to prove we need the skin removed! There's just something wrong with that picture!!!
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

Lblayze1
on 8/10/12 4:52 pm
I agree! I think it is ridiculous that it has to come to that for insurance to pay for it. I was told I had to wait for 6 months worth of skin rashes before thyey will pay for it. I had gastric bypass in April of this year and my surgeon wants to do the pannectomy he was hoping in October, but I have to wait! Its stupid!
Heather G.
on 9/4/10 4:18 pm
Like Deedles, my insurance will cover it if rashes or other documented complications occur.
HW: 299 / SW: 286 / CW: 175 / GW: 144-165 / Height: 5'9"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/10 9:53 pm - OH
Usually a panniculectomy is ALL insurance will pay for, if anyting, (and that includes ONLY the skin below the belly button... it does nothing for extra skin ABOVE the belly button).  Sometimes poeple are able to get a full tummy tuck covered as well, but that's usually only if there is a hernia that requires repair.

The arms, thighs, upper abdomen, etc. are almost never covered.  (Several of us with lots of extra skin in the arm pits and rash and other issues (e.g., infection after nicking during shaving) have attempted to get at least PART of the brachioplasty covered with no success.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MultiMom
on 9/4/10 10:19 pm - NH
My insurance (HMO Blue) paid for my panniculectomy without any rashes. I went the extra to have my belly button moved and then all the excess abdominal skin was removed (above and below the belly button). My belly button was sewn back in after the skin was pulled down so I still have it :)

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Meg_S
on 9/5/10 12:34 am - Natick, MA
I have HMO Blue too so that's good to know!

Thanks.

Meg
Sara C.
on 9/5/10 8:14 am - Granville, NY
What do you mean you went to the extra?  Was it an extra cost?  It would suck if they'd take the panni off and have the bellybutton in a weird place and they wouldn't fix it.  The way things are covered i'm a little scared I'll come out like Frankenstein's Monster

sonnieN
on 9/5/10 1:41 pm - grand rapids, MI
a panni removal usually is just removing the extra apron of skin that goes from below the belly button. The "extra" is a full tummy tuck where they actually loosen up the skin above the belly botton and pull that down and reposition the belly button. They also tighten the stomach muscles at the same time.
curvaceousdiva
on 9/4/10 11:23 pm - Hyattsville, MD
my CIGNA insurance covers the same... or a total body lift when the hanging skin reaches a certain number of inches that hangs
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 236 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics