Craving some crab cakes... any vets have a WLS friendly recipe?

curvaceousdiva
on 10/20/10 12:50 pm - Hyattsville, MD
Id greatly appreciate it :D
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
tinkerbell025
on 10/20/10 1:02 pm, edited 10/20/10 1:02 pm - Fargo, ND
Here is one I got offline ( maybe originally Nikki's). I have re-vamped it to fit my needs.
It is a keeper, have fun with recipes and make them what you want them to be.

Fish Patties  
Ingredients:  1 lb. Salmon,Tuna,Crab etc…(your choice,same recipe)
¼ c. finely diced onions
¼ c. finely diced celery
2 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
¼ c. Kraft Light Mayo (or full flavor)
1/2 c. Oatmeal (dry)
½ tbsp Old Bay seasoning (any seafood seasoning)
1/8 c. mustard
Salt and pepper to taste  
Directions:  
1. Break up meat into smaller pieces- remove the bones & skin if you like (Almost shredded looking)
2. Add onions and celery to salmon and mix well
3. Add egg whites, mayo, and mustard and mix again. Mixture will be wet.
4. Add breadcrumbs or your choice of others listed above. Mix very, VERY well (visible moisture will decrease as bread crumbs absorbs the excess)
5. Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out uniform sized balls onto a sprayed cookie sheet.(I just slap a patty together).  
6. Bake in a pre-heated 425 oven for about 10-15 minutes        
7.Flip the patties over and bake another 8 to 10 minutes.
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/20/10 1:04 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
Nope, not mine! I cannot for the life of me get how to use oatmeal as binder for stuff. Yet, I use TVP all the time. Strange.

What should you eat for dinner tonight? How do you make a good protein shake? And just exactly what IS quinoa? The answers to all this and more can be found at Bariatric Foodie!

tinkerbell025
on 10/20/10 1:07 pm - Fargo, ND
LOL Nikki, I took out the TVP and I replaced the breadcrumbs with the oatmeal. Your to funny, love it! We just had this as salmon patties last night.
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/20/10 1:10 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with

I personally am a tuna cake fanatic. When the mood hits me. You should try it. It’s a super cheap dinner and you can flavor it virtually any way you want.

What should you eat for dinner tonight? How do you make a good protein shake? And just exactly what IS quinoa? The answers to all this and more can be found at Bariatric Foodie!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/20/10 1:02 pm, edited 10/20/10 1:04 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
Oh so you eat now???? (rolls neck a few times for emphasis)

Kidding!

Um...yes...you should know this already!

Here's my post-WLS recipe. This can be crab cakes or crab balls, whichever size works best:

Nikki's Crab Balls

1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
1 egg beaten
1/2 c. unflavored greek yogurt
2 tbsp light (not fat free) mayo
2 tbsp mustard (yellow does nicely but I like using dijon just for the heck of it)
Old Bay seasoning (I never measure but I'd venture to guess I use about 1-2 tbsp. I like the kick)
a splash of lemon juice

Directions:

First, make sure your crab meat is free of shells. Shells + pouch = TROUBLE

Combine yogurt, seasoning, mayo, mustard and lemon juice until well mixed.

Combine that with the crab meat in a bowl and then add the egg and mix thoroughly. If it seems too wet to form a ball, use a little bit of whole wheat bread crumbs. I never have to though.

Form into balls or patties and bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

Serve with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, garlic, dill and some more lemon juice OR my personal fave, just Greek yogurt and mixed with onion soup mix. (I heart onion soup mix btw)

curvaceousdiva
on 10/20/10 1:09 pm - Hyattsville, MD
On October 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:
Oh so you eat now???? (rolls neck a few times for emphasis)

Kidding!

Um...yes...you should know this already!

Here's my post-WLS recipe. This can be crab cakes or crab balls, whichever size works best:

Nikki's Crab Balls

1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
1 egg beaten
1/2 c. unflavored greek yogurt
2 tbsp light (not fat free) mayo
2 tbsp mustard (yellow does nicely but I like using dijon just for the heck of it)
Old Bay seasoning (I never measure but I'd venture to guess I use about 1-2 tbsp. I like the kick)
a splash of lemon juice

Directions:

First, make sure your crab meat is free of shells. Shells + pouch = TROUBLE

Combine yogurt, seasoning, mayo, mustard and lemon juice until well mixed.

Combine that with the crab meat in a bowl and then add the egg and mix thoroughly. If it seems too wet to form a ball, use a little bit of whole wheat bread crumbs. I never have to though.

Form into balls or patties and bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

Serve with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, garlic, dill and some more lemon juice OR my personal fave, just Greek yogurt and mixed with onion soup mix. (I heart onion soup mix btw)

ummm  I said CRAVE.. and my lil lady has to eat as well LOL... Ill be making BALLS though.  Wouldnt want to waste jumbo lump on cakes and I cant eat a whole cake.  My balls are about walnut size. 

WOT BUT is the pouch party downtown charles st???  getting ticket friday :D
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/20/10 1:24 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
Not exactly downtown. It's on the other side of the Harbor, closer to Federal Hill.

And yes...I love me some tasty balls! (I am in a MOOD today! See my newest post for more on that ;)

Paul C.
on 10/20/10 1:03 pm - Cumming, GA
RNY on 07/16/10 with
allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Maryland-Lump-Crab-Cakes/Detail. aspx

Use Low fat Mayo.  Whenever something calls for bread crumbs I replace it with a good quality finely grated Parm cheese.  Find something to replace the butter with and you should be set.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MoLawEd
on 10/20/10 1:18 pm - Cambridge, MA
Ellie Krieger's Crisp Crabcake recipe is DELICIOUS and very WLS-friendly.  The stats are amazing.  I made my crabcakes 1/2 the size of  her suggested size (the recipe made 16 crabcakes) and froze the leftover ones, so I could just cook one up whenever I wanted a crabcake.  The panko adds a lot of crunch and deliciousness but very few calories/carbs.

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/20/10 1:24 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
I love Ellie Krieger. I don't see her on Food Network anymore though.

imkim
on 10/20/10 3:04 pm, edited 10/20/10 3:04 pm - Chatsworth, CA
Check out www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. Pretty sure she had a recipe for crab cakes

Kim

This includes my pre-surgery weight

Rides4me
on 10/20/10 4:31 pm - Atlanta, GA
Trader Joes has individually wrapped flouder stuffed with crab.  One makes about 3 meals.  They are so good and the the closest I have found to the real thing.

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
serenadawn76
on 10/20/10 6:22 pm - Vacaville, CA
 BariatricEating.com has a wonderful recipe for crab cakes!
Serena xo