Feeling cold after surgery

mrschriscross
on 10/21/10 3:59 am - Oswego, NY
This is actually the husband posting.  My wife had her surgery on tuesday morning and has come home today.  Since she has been home, she has felt extremely cold.  She is currently in bed with a heavy comforter and a smaller blanket over her.  Is this a normal occurence?  I'm a bit of a worrier :)
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Ma2jenna
on 10/21/10 4:05 am - Fleetwood, PA
Does she have a fever?  If not, no worries.  Get used to it.  She will be freezing ALL THE TIME from now on. I take a hoodie into a restaurant with me when it is 99 degrees outside.  

How sweet you are to support her so much! 
Sandra                                       MY WL themed Blog:  MA2JENNA

Karen RN P.
on 10/21/10 5:56 am - Galesburg, MI
 It is normal to feel cold post op.  I am an RN and anyone receiving general anesthesia will feel cold post op.  I had RNY on 9/14/10 and am experiencing the cold also.  I asked my surgeon and he said it's because "You've lost some insulation."  I live in Michigan so I'm not looking forward to winter now!  Hope this helps.
Karen RN

Stacey N.
on 10/21/10 4:10 am - Chesapeake, VA
As long as she is not running a fever and is not showing signs of infection, yes it is normal. I did balance out though after the first month, I feel alot better and nowhere near as cold.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Carebearny1999
on 10/21/10 4:13 am - Rochester, NY
I too was FREEZING when I came home--which is completely NOT me! I echo the others--as long as there's no fever just let her bundle up and rest!
mrschriscross
on 10/21/10 4:22 am - Oswego, NY
Thanks for the replies.  The first thing I did was take her temperature.  97.9F so all is good.  Everything went beautiful while she was at the hospital, just want to make sure it continues at home :)
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Pam T.
on 10/21/10 4:35 am - Saginaw, MI
Like others have said, as long as she's not running a temp, the cold is normal. Here's why:

** Reduced calories. What is a calorie? It's a measure of how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of water. So fewer calories means less body heat being generated by the body.

** Reduced insulation. Although she may not have lost much weight just yet, she will. And fat is a great insulation for our bodies. But as she loses weight, she'll also lose her permenant winter coat that keeps her overheated all the time.

I'm 3 years post-op and I remember that first winter after surgery. I was so cold it was literally painful for my skin to be exposed to anything other than cozy warmness. It took about 18 months before I started to notice that the bitter coldness went away some. But I'm still cold by nature even so far out from surgery. My mom had WLS 7 years ago and she still gets cold easily too.  It's just a new part of life after WLS.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Pamela S.
on 10/21/10 4:38 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Very common. I'm still cold.
Pamela S.
on 10/21/10 4:39 am - Virginia Beach, VA
SweetGirl11
on 10/21/10 4:53 am
I'm 16 months out and I'm always cold...... except when I'm having a hot flash!  LOL.  Right now, I'm wearing two t-shirts, a sweat shirt, leggings and socks.... and I'm still chilly!   I never realized when I was obese how much the excess fat was making me hot!

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?