A distinct change.......
angel91e · 0 replies · 23 views
Texas Caviar?
Myfab5 · 1 replies · 90 views
Most Active

Broth - clear liquids PRE-OP! yuck!!!

Shelly41673
on 11/12/10 7:19 pm
 Okay, so today was day 1 of 3 for Pre-Op clear liquid diet, I have had a massive headache ALL day...I guess that is to be expected.

Jell-o, okay the first two times around but by 4pm Jell-o wants to make me sick.  

So I reach for the broth for something warm for lunch, holy heck is that stuff NASTY plain.  I was telling my mother about how gross it was, she suggested the broth from cooking Ramen Noodles, my son ate the noodles and I sit here with a steaming bowl of *broth* in front of me.

I need opinions before I go buy more Ramen Noodles.   IS this considered a CLEAR BROTH?!

HELP!

Thanks 
Shelly
Luke's Momma
on 11/12/10 7:37 pm - mattoon , IL
I use what is called soup base. It is near the boullion cubes and it is easily disolved in warm water and I think that the flavor is good. Also you can have popsicles, and there are all kinds of drinks that are clear liquid. Good luck on your journey! Can't wait to hear that you are home and on your way. Lisa
Jessilyn258
on 11/12/10 7:37 pm - Cumming, GA
Hey Hun,

I'm thinking that broth from Ramen Noodles may be loaded in Sodium so probably not a good idea, what is the other type of broth you have?
Shelly41673
on 11/12/10 7:47 pm
 I know that the Ramen Noodle broth base does have a high sodium content.   I guess this headache is getting me all out of whack.  I keep drinking water and apple juice to help stave off the hunger, I am taking Tylenol every 4 hrs. Bed time is soon and being a weekend where I don't have to get up with the kids, ALL I am doing is praying to sleep at least MOST of the night.

Thanks!

Shelly
Mrs-stick
on 11/12/10 7:53 pm - Orting, WA
What if you pop a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce in your chicken broth?
      I Like this quote I dislike this quoteWhy compare yourself with others? No one in the entire world can do a better job of being you than you.

Heather G.
on 11/12/10 9:23 pm
It's probably OK to eat the broth from Ramen noodles, but it's sooo high in sodium.
HW: 299 / SW: 286 / CW: 175 / GW: 144-165 / Height: 5'9"

pamkb
on 11/13/10 6:03 am - Crestview, FL
Hey Shelly

I am on day 2 of clear liquids for surgery on Tuesday.  So far it is has not been an issue for me.  I would worry about the sodium in ramen noodles but if hypertension is not an issue for you then it may be ok.

Thursday night I took my boxed chicken broth and simmered onions, carrots, garlic, celery - basically cleaned out my fridge.  Anyway simmered them to get out all their flavors, strained out the food and now have a delicious broth to get me through the weekend.

between the broth, hot caff-free tea, crystal ligh****er, jello and sugar free popsicles I always have something near at hand and not even thinking about what I am not eating.  At my last pre-op apt Tuesday I was told getting through these 4 days is the toughest mental aspect of our whole new journey.

I hope the weekend goes well for you and good luck with surgery on Monday. 

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

Jim Parker
on 11/13/10 6:49 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Know the feeling...  I like some of the Isopure "ready-to-drink" flavors (grape and orange are pretty good, the others...  not so much), and used those a lot.  I also learned (from my NUT) that you can mix 8 oz of Isopure (orange or peach mango) with Diet V8 Splash (Tropical is my favorite) and it is absolutely wonderful!  Somehow the V8 cuts the aftertaste of the Isopure.  For the grape Isopure, I mix it 50/50 with Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry-Grape.  Again, it tastes great, and you get 10g of protein.  I find it also takes the edge off my hunger, big time.

Good luck on your surgery!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." — Franklin P. Jones
Shelly41673
on 11/13/10 12:13 pm
 Thank you everyone for the responses,  I do not have high blood pressure or hypertension.  I just mixed the seasoning pouch with 3 cups of steaming water, that made it clear rather than the cloudy mixture from straining off the noodles (my theory is the starches from the pasta).  

I am feeling like a bit of a limp noodle right now.  I am adding some Sprite and some White Tea to the mixture, see if that helps.

Thank you EVERYONE!!

Shelly
Cindy K.
on 11/13/10 12:32 pm, edited 11/13/10 12:33 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 09/10/10 with

On my pre-op diet I was able to drink protein drinks. I only had to have clear liquids for a few days after surgery(post-op). You may want to call and confirm whether you are to have clear liquids or just liquids. Protein drinks would provide more substance and energy for you.

I drank the low sodium chicken or beef stock in the box. When stock is made they use both the meat and veggies so it has a more rounded soup flavor. Broth is jus****er, meat, and bones. You would probably enjoy the stock better.

cindy

Proximal RNY 9-10-10
High Weight 230
Surgery Weight 205
Goal Weight 140   

MarcosMom
on 11/13/10 12:39 pm - Long Beach, CA
There are some awesome progresso LIGHT canned soups that you can cook and strain all the chunks out of, you get amazing flavor with no chunks (way better than soup base/plain broth).

As far as protein goes, I am a convert. I detest the powders and have switched to Isopure zero carb ready to drink. The apple melon tastes like apple pucker, a little sour, but almost completely masks the protein taste. My second favorite is grape frost to mix things up occasionally (icy orange is third). They are clear, best when cold, and easy to grab on the go. Glass bottles make it a bit bulky, but 40g of protein in 20oz, makes it easy to say "I'm at 50g protein today, I need 70, need to drink me 10 more ounces".

Good luck, the first couple weeks on clear liquids are the worst. Try some sugar free popsicles, they have good ones from Crystal light, also, plain water was a pain in the ass for me, I liked mixing in some crystal light, my favorite drink mix was lemon berry breeze by hawaiian punch it wasn't too sweet, or too sour.