lettuce+laxative???

DianaLynn1
on 11/21/10 11:13 pm
Okay, I've eaten lettuce a few times with no trouble.  I had a big salad yesterday and this morning it's like I took a load of laxatives.  Has anyone had the same problem before?
DianaLynn    
Razzmuffin
on 11/21/10 11:29 pm - Collinsville, IL
haha yes, I had that problem even before surgery though. Salad in and out the same day.

Pink_Sparkles
on 11/22/10 12:54 am - Durham, NC
Lettuce did not agree with me until 5 months post-op.  Even now, I can only eat very little and sometimes it still has the laxative affect.  You are not alone!!  

DianaLynn1
on 11/22/10 3:09 am
I didn't start lettuce until I was 3 months post-op, but have had no trouble with it.  I've eaten it in small doses with no trouble.  Yesterday I ate a large salad.  Today, I've already lost 2 pounds!  Guess I know what to do to get me off of my stall the next time.  A BIG SALAD!!!  lol
DianaLynn    
MastoDon
on 11/22/10 3:14 am - Los Gatos, CA
Actually, the semi-laxative effect of lettuce and other salad veggies is something I've learned to count on.  Without going into too much detail, I can affirm that any evening meal in which salad is a component is always easier to deal with the following morning than a meal that's more exclusively protein.
There might not be a lot of food value in the lettuce, but its fiber effect is certainly worth the small reduction in protein I can eat as a compensation.
Now that pears are available in grocery stores for a while, I like slivers of iceberg lettuce covered with half a peeled comice pear, drizzled with a balsamic vinegar, and then capped with a bit of crumbled or grated blue cheese.
Good going in.  Good going out.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

DianaLynn1
on 11/22/10 3:21 am
That sounds delish!  I've been living on HoneyCrisp apples with natural peanut butter as a snack since Watermelon is now out of season here.  I thought the apples would be good fiber, but I peel off the skin.  I had a grilled chicken ceasar salad that was amazing.  But MAN...I am so feeling it today. lol
DianaLynn    
Kimmeroo
on 11/22/10 3:42 am
RNY on 09/14/10 with
I have had a time with constipation..I started eating 6 prunes during the day and that helped a little.I started eating salads and bingo no constipation..Yay! So I try to eat one every other day or when we go out and make sure there is ham or turkey breast on it. I also like sharp cheese with peanut butter on top w/my salads.mmmmm.

Thanks for the post! :)   Kim

Kim    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Hit Onderland 1-11-11...my anniversary!:)
Lost 116lbs total since my journey began

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?