Methadone and Gastric bypass

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/6/11 8:53 pm - OH
If you had the sleeve you had no intestinal bypass and still ahve your pyloric valve and therefore you won't dump.   Only those with RNY risk dumping becasue of the altered anatomy.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 3/6/11 8:59 pm
I was gonna say something, but realized I was wrong before I even started typing. So here ya go: 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

lizzdabestmom
on 5/31/16 7:37 am

I am waiting for my next appointment (in a whole month) to hear if they can do the (sleeve) surgery since I am on methadone.  They are worried about absorption. Id love to know if someone had success (or not) wiwith surgury being on methadone. I have chronic pain so I don't see me getting off the methadone program. But it will break my heart if I hear I can't have the surgery. I take 140mg. Liquid methadone a day.

J. St.peter
on 4/10/12 10:30 am
Bubsmama
on 8/8/18 11:15 pm

Nikki

Im a gastric bypass patient 2012 i had mine and i am on methadone matience myself and was hoping for a update on your taper you were doing i went from 196 to 114 mg still working on it im just so scared of the withdrawl.. I hear others say it is worse then herion withdrawl and that really is my fear. I cant handle the aniexty of withdrawls.. Thank you...

Bubsmama
on 8/8/18 11:16 pm

Nikki

Im a gastric bypass patient 2012 i had mine and i am on methadone matience myself and was hoping for a update on your taper you were doing i went from 196 to 114 mg still working on it im just so scared of the withdrawl.. I hear others say it is worse then herion withdrawl and that really is my fear. I cant handle the aniexty of withdrawls.. Thank you...

Mat225
on 10/21/18 9:34 pm

Hi, everyone.II had my surgery April 30, 2007 and am now 11 and half years post surgery. I was 301 lbs day of surgery. I had RNY, and lost 160 pounds originally, having had only one child prior. Lost my weight in 18 months and was pregnant by my 2nd year and continued having my kids until 2014 at baby number 4. I fluctuate between 168lbs to 179lbs. I am overall happy and have great skin elasticity. I was young though and worked off what I could.

I know posting so much time after this post was originally posted seems ridiculous, but I enjoy reading posts and comments no matter when posted. So, maybe my story will help. I came on here looking for research as to why I am having so much trouble absorbing a medicine that Is supposed to be staying in my body for long periods of time....methadone. I keep upping my doses, my doctor that I am under pain management with has me do serum tests about every other time I go up in dose, so after going up about 20 mgs or so he will send me back in for another test, which I do not mind because I too, am curious at the absorbtion levels. Their range is 100-400mg my first test at 90 mgs of liquid methadone was ranged at 160mg. So he upped me a few times before doing another one. I was at 120mg and he sent me in again, and my range was 270mg. Still too low, because I am still having withdrawals at about 8-10 hours after dosing. He upped me again. At 130mg of methadone I tested aging before dosing and it's still on my 280mg range. He now has bumped me to 140mg. I know it's going to keep climbing over time. Which upsets me that it takes so long to level out. I can take my meds home once my dose is stable. I dose at a narcotic treatment center, because my pain management dr sends me there to get me on a higher dose of methadone. Keeping me at the clinic before I had pills for pain and had experience with norco, morphine, oxy, and so on...nothing would last. I switched to methadone pills and it was so helpful but not enough. So here I am a year later and after 15 years on pain meds. I am only 33 (almost 34 in Dec.).

My son was born very large and they ripped my pelvis open to deliver him before he almost died. I suffer from those affects now for almost 15 years. I have had public syphisis surgery and have mental plates and screws holding it together, but I have arthritis, scoliosis, sciatica on both sides, herniated discs...fibromyalgia, I am a mess and this is the only way I get any relief and can raise my 4 kids.

I struggle withalabsorbtion and was on here researching, like I said, maybe my story and experience will help someone else. It has helped me, realizing I am not alone.

I wish I could be normal and have no pain and not be on anything at all. But that's not the hand I was dealt. I hope someone else can relate to my story.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/6/11 9:02 pm - OH
I took two vicodin a little while ago for the pain in my knee, so I might be needing your "oops" graphic myself today...  I tend to make silly mistakes on vicodin!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 386 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views