10 year old weighs 112 pounds

HolliM
on 12/21/10 11:33 pm - Red Bush, KY
Hello everyone. My son is 10 and he has ADHD, ODD, Mood Disorder and Anxiety. He is on meds. for these issues and has gained about 25 to 30 pounds since May. It's like he can't get enough to eat. Anyway how can I help him not gain so much weight. I don't really think a kid should be on a diet.
Just looking for ideas and opinions here. Right now the med he is on is the only one helping with his major mood problems. So we are not changeing it.
~holli

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

angie00708
on 12/21/10 11:49 pm - College Station, TX
How tall is he? How active? My son is 8 and is 110 lbs. He is almost 5 foot tall, though. He is solid muscle, not fat. He is extremely active and I am very particular about what he eats (low sugar, high quality protein). He is also ADHD, ODD, Mood disorder and anxiety and on meds.

Candy S.
on 12/21/10 11:55 pm - Big Spring, TX
WOW your 8 year old is almost 5ft? I think I would cry if my son who is also 8 was that tall already, he is my baby! My 13 and 11 year old daughters are a little over 5ft, and will be as tall as me (5'5") very soon, my kids are so big, and it is making me feel old, lol!
Colleen W.
on 12/22/10 2:38 am
My dd is 9 and just over 5 ft, wears a women's size 8 shoe too.  I have to check the size on the jeans when I put away the laundry, she wears a size 6 and I wear a size 10 now.  LOL
HolliM
on 12/22/10 2:01 am - Red Bush, KY
He is 4"8. Not too active at the moment. We are working on this.

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

Miss_Amanda
on 12/22/10 11:29 am - redding, CA
I totally understand, My oldest is Almost 11 and is 5'5 and weighs 119. He is a soild built kid. Already in Mens sizes. We try to jkeep fruit and hig protein snacks in the house since that what I can have( high protein) we are HUGE water drinkers. I would suggest getting him active. Bike riding, soccer, football, hiking or what we do when its rainy outside. We play the Xbox Kinect. Its a video game, but tires them out Goodluck
 HW: 367...  NEVER AGAIN
 S
W: 345 ... Started a new chapter in my life

1GW:275... Less than I weighed when I married my hubby
 CW: 230  ... USING my tool & loving it
 2GW:200... How much I weighed when I was preggo ,10 years ago

GW:  165... Haven't been this weight since high school. IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!

When I'm good, I'm
good, but when I'm bad, I'm better
Follow my Blog Girl Gets Skinny        

Candy S.
on 12/21/10 11:51 pm - Big Spring, TX
I have been struggling with the same exact thing with my 2 girls. The Dr believes kids shouldn't be on a diet, but to watch the junk food, and to have them more active. The winter is hard though to kick them out of the house. There is no ice on the sidewalks right now so I kicked all of my kids out to take walks yesterday after bundling them up real good. I was a nervous mommy because 2 of the kids I have not let out of my sight until now. I need to loosen the strings though, lol.
The girls are always hungry and always want junk. I try to have fruits and yogurt in the house to offer them and let them have that any time they want. I also tell them to drink water to try to fill them up when they say they are hungry. Carrots and celery sometimes work for them too. I want to be able to get a membership to the YMCA maybe after the new year (due to $) so there are more opportunities to keep them busy.
Just so you know, I really know what you are going through, one of my daughters (11 yrs) is schizophrenic, and her med makes her hungry all the time, and my other daughter (13 yrs) is bipolar, and PDD-NOS and her meds also have weight gain as a side effect. I life in upstate NY and it has already been snowing, and ice everywhere, and dark early so it is hard to get them out!
Chris N.
on 12/21/10 11:53 pm

Your son certainly has a lot to deal with.  I was about the same weight at that age and it was difficult enough without the added problems of all that your son has on top of it. 

I don't have any experience with ADHD, ODD, etc....but what about joining a gym as a family.  Make it fun to exercise by creating your own challenges.  Not how fast are you type challenges but more how many minutes have you spent exercising.  Very nonconfontrational....just when you reach a certain amount of time exercised, you get a prize. 

I wish your son the best and hope you can find a solution that helps. 

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

2tired2befat
on 12/21/10 11:56 pm - Spring Hill, TN
We have the same son!  LOL!  My 8 year old is 5 feet tall!!! He weighs 102 pounds...Pediatrician said his height and weight are charting close together.  I know it is seriously scary for us to see our children gaining weight, but I needed a wake up call that his weight/height ratio were realistic.  Once the pediatrician assured me that his chart looked good she gave me priceless advice for a child in "growth mode" (which it might be because my son's meds supress his appetitie unless he is in a spurt).  I only keep produce, sugar free popsicles, granola bars, yogurt and cheerios in the house for snacks.  If he is hungry he has to make one of those choices.  At first I felt like I was punishing him by not keeping "kid friendly (in most cases actually un-friendly) choices in the house.  Take goldfish crackers for example, even at 8 he could eat a whole 7 serving bag of those things without flinching.  My NUT gave them a D- and told me to get them out.  I don't worry now if he eats 4 popsicles at 15 calories a piece or eats a 1/2 pound of grapes...boys eat like crazy during growth patterns.  His pediatrician said as long as he is making healthy choices and listening to hunger cues (don't let them eat out of boredom) than she is feels it is normal growing boy stuff.  As long as he isn't filling on pop, cookies, chips or cake, he should be fine!
Good luck!
April

laura_vermont
on 12/22/10 12:19 am
My son's ADHD meds make him stop eating - he's very thin (17yo, 6'3", 140lbs).  You said that his mood meds are working - how's the ADHD?  Maybe you could do an addition? 

Also, what are his normal growth patterns?  My dd is 9, and gets a little belly right before she shoots up another couple inches, then, belly is gone.  (My dd is a shorty, about 4'4" and 68lbs.)

We keep the kids very busy - not all activities are expensive.  We use the afterschool program for some activities.  Right now, my youngest son, 7, is enrolled in gymnastics and a boys only dance program. 

You can also serve low-cal treats that still seem special.  My kids love my SF jello with SF whipped cream.  They really think it's a treat. 

Good luck, the weight thing is so challenging.  My oldest dd is completing her program for bariatric surgery - sad, but at least she's doing it young.  I wish I had done this years ago.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 116 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?