How much can you eat at one sitting?

kylieh51
on 1/9/11 3:10 pm
 I am almost 10 months out and am a little worried about how much I can eat at one time.  I can eat 2 cups of veggies at one time.  I know that sounds crazy, but I am trying to get the last 10 lbs off, so I am eating lean proteins and veggies and protein shakes.  I am eating about 4 cups of veggies a day and can eat 2 cups in one sitting without being full.  Is that too much?  I know it sounds like a weird question, I am just slightly concerned
CoastiesGirl
on 1/9/11 3:18 pm - Point Reyes Station, CA
Well, I am only 3 months post op but I can eat a cup of food at a time. Depending on what it is of course, less if its a dense protein. But, again I am just 3 months out and eating about half of what you eat at a time. So it seems normal to me, that you would be eating 2 cups at a time at 10 months.

Ladytazz
on 1/9/11 3:37 pm
What kind of vegetables? I can eat 2 cups of lettuce because it is mainly water and compresses when I eat it.
kylieh51
on 1/9/11 4:00 pm
 I eat a blend of cauliflower rice, broccoli, bell pepper, zuccini, and squash.  I "rice" the cauliflower and roast up the other veggies with garlic and mix it together....so yummy!
MoLawEd
on 1/9/11 5:16 pm - Cambridge, MA
 That sounds DELICIOUS. I may try that soon. And I will probably eat 1.5-2 cups of it ;-)

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

HealthierTimesAhead
on 1/9/11 4:28 pm
RNY on 12/20/10 with
I'm only 3 weeks out and eating 1/2 a cup per meal; 3 meals a day.  Eventually I am to go to a max of 1 1/2 cups per meal.  Overeating would expand my pouch and cause me also to be hungrier.  The 1 1/2 cups per meal is down the road on the Maintenance Food plan.  I am following all of my instructions to the T and so far, all is going fantastic.  I'm SO thankful.
ohioh
on 1/9/11 4:44 pm
RNY on 11/15/10 with
This really makes me wonder about myself because I can barely get any food in before I am full. I am 8 weeks out and I can't get in more than 1/4 of a cup usually.  Maybe once I have been able to eat a whole yogurt (and I can't eat greek yogurt because it is too filling for me) I eat refried beans with yogurt and cheese mixed in alot and I literally can get down about 4 or 5 small bites and that is all I can get down.  However, I can eat a string cheese.   I can eat some cottage cheese and usually I can get down 1/4 cup. I am supposed to be advanced out of the soft/pureed stage of foods in 2 weeks (or less) and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to eat anything! I get most of my protein from my 2 shakes a day (although all of the food I DO eat is protein).  Any ideas out there???

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
aspan
on 1/9/11 7:24 pm
RNY on 08/16/10 with
I think it is different for everyone..for me too I could hardly get anything in until about now..even today I was only able to get a few bites of dinner in before I got full so it really depends on the day and what I eat..I get most of my protein in through shakes and slider foods like yogurt...
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Sherri K.
on 1/9/11 10:54 pm, edited 1/9/11 10:54 pm - Inman, SC
 It was about at the 6 month mark that I was able to eat 1/2 cup of food less if it is just meat.  I at a few bites to a 1/4 cup of food for months.  I don't think there is anything wrong with you.  The size of your meals will eventually change. You will need to get most of your protein thru shakes until you can eat more.  For the first few months I mostly ate cottage cheese, cheeses, plain greek yogurt mixed with dannon light & fit vanilla yogurt because meats didn't settle very well.  The softer foods go down a bit easier and you can eat more of them at a time compared to meat. Even now at almost 10 months out I rarely eat more than half a cup of food at a time unless it is salad.
]            
ohioh
on 1/10/11 3:57 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
Thank you, I appreciate your response...I was wondering!

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
Heidi M.
on 1/9/11 4:41 pm, edited 1/9/11 4:41 pm - Fridley, MN
RNY on 11/23/10 with
My plan is as follows:

3 Months - 1/4 cup of food
6 Months - 1/2 cup of food
9 months - 3/4 cup of food
1 Year and beyond - 1 cup of food

This is per meal and I am only suppose to eat 3 meals a day - no snacks and a protein shake would be considered a meal.

MoLawEd
on 1/9/11 4:46 pm, edited 1/9/11 4:46 pm - Cambridge, MA
 What kind of veggies? I don't think it sounds like too much esp. if you're talking about something like salad. Veggies contain a lot of water and chew down to very little.  It would be one thing if you could eat 2 cups of chicken breast, but lots of us can and do eat 2 cups of certain types of vegetables by 10 months out.  I've noticed that I can eat 2 cups of raw spinach or lettuce or green beans, but much less of more fibrous, dense veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

kylieh51
on 1/9/11 4:55 pm
 1 cup at a year out??  Oh wow!!  I guess I need to start limiting myself.  I really hope I have not stretched my pouch.  
MoLawEd
on 1/9/11 5:23 pm - Cambridge, MA
 Ugh. See, this is one of the things I hate about doctor's guidelines. They try to keep things simple so people will be able to follow them, and I get that, but in the process they have to dumb a lot of stuff down.

A cup of cooked vegetables, or a cup of Greek yogurt, is not the same inside your pouch as a cup of chicken or fish or any other dense food. I am sure you have not stretched your pouch beyond the normal, expected growth, or your stoma.

Part of the reason people are taught to stick with one cup of food, even when it's slider food, is so they don't get used to eating high-volume again. One day it might be high-volume veggies; next year it's high-volume cake or donuts (also slider food.)  But slider foods aren't going to "stretch your pouch" beyond the natural, normal increase in capacity that occurs over time.

You may want to limit yourself, but not because roasted vegetables are going to destroy your pouch.  They aren't.

CoastiesGirl
on 1/9/11 6:14 pm - Point Reyes Station, CA
All doctors guidelines vary. Just because one person is told 1 cup at a  year doesnt mean that is what your expectations should be. My surgeon didnt give me limits that far out. He told me some of his patients can eat a cup of soup and a half a sandwhich eventually. But he never gave me measurements.

Pam T.
on 1/9/11 6:22 pm - Saginaw, MI
I'm 3 years out. A typical meal size for me might be (sometimes it's easier to use examples from restaurants that we're all familiar with to give a better visual):

- 5oz lean meat (grilled chicken breast) and 1 cup veggies or side salad
- A McDonald's grilled chicken salad - the whole thing minus the crappy lettuce I pull out
- A large Wendy's Chili and a side of oranges
- A half-size sub from Subway 
- About 85% of a Jimmy John's Tom Turkey Sub with double-turkey

For you at 10 months out.... it sounds pretty normal to me depending on what type of veggies you're eating. Remember that vegetables are mostly water, so when you chew them they turn to mush and leave the pouch fairly quickly. Try eating all of your meat (3-4oz) at the meal first, then see if you can still fit 2 cups of veggies on top of it. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Bonnie C.
on 2/19/11 10:37 pm - Miami, FL
If you're worried that you have stretched out your pouch try THIS.  Hope it helps :)
Check out my blog for recipes and more
@
Bye Bye Pounds
HW-310/SW-292/CW-182/GW-160