The Post Op Meal Plan from My Bariatric Center of Excellence

janet2921
on 1/21/11 2:35 am - Chicago, IL
I resisted this as long as I could.  I decided to give some details on my Bariatric Center of Excellence meal plan for Roux-en-Y.
I will not be able to give full details as they are the for their patients and probably have been revised as they are carefully dated.  But the following is a general overview of what I believe was an absolutely excellent progressive meal plan for RNY post op patients.

Phase I-- Pureed Food - Weeks 1-3.  Food types are provided and sources of concentrated sweets to avoid are included.  A lot of emphasis is placed on protein and how to increase the protein intake.  Exercise, post op care and vitamins are included in this very very detailed 8-page patient education document.

Phase II-- Soft Foods- Weeks 4-6.  Examples of soft textured foods are documented.  It also warns against intake of high fiber foods.  This is also a very detailed 3-page document.

Phase II- Regular Consistency.  This is the return to regular foods, increasing fiber back into the diet, maintaining the 60 grams of protein for RNY and moderate / controlled fat consumption.  Physical activity is advised at 30 minutes a day.




Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
Price S.
on 1/21/11 5:12 am - Mills River, NC
That is similar to what we got and do but ours was broken down even further into 5 phases with one more at 6 months.  We had classes with each phase to be sure we understood.  I do think some Dr groups do a much better job than others in education, before and after surgery.

    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  65 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board
      
 

janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:15 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM Pacific Time, Price S. wrote:
That is similar to what we got and do but ours was broken down even further into 5 phases with one more at 6 months.  We had classes with each phase to be sure we understood.  I do think some Dr groups do a much better job than others in education, before and after surgery.
Yes Price!  There is a lot of variability in the post op meal plans.  You are correct as some doctors groups do a much better job in patient education than others.  Thank you for adding to this discussion.  It should help others who may not have received the education that we received.

Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
Myfurtureisbright
on 1/21/11 5:48 am - PA
Your introduction to soft foods was way earlier then mine. I am 5 weeks out and still on pureed food. But as you said this was your specific plan and others will be different. I can't wait to get to soft foods.
    
janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:17 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 5:48 AM Pacific Time, Myfurtureisbright wrote:
Your introduction to soft foods was way earlier then mine. I am 5 weeks out and still on pureed food. But as you said this was your specific plan and others will be different. I can't wait to get to soft foods.
Hi!  Yes, my bariatric team keeps good records on how their patients do on the meal plans.  My team had good success with their strategy.  I took each phase slow and easy.  Thank you for contributing your meal plan to this discussion. 

P.S.- You'll love the soft foods stage!!!


Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
lulusmom87
on 1/21/11 6:36 am
My doctor was far more conservative (I think too conservative):

Weeks 1-2 - clear liquids

Weeks 3-4 - full liquids

Weeks 4-8 Pureed Foods

Weeks 8-10 - soft foods

Thereafter - normal consistency

I'm currently in the full liquid phase but I don't think I will be on it for 2 full weeks.
janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:20 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 6:36 AM Pacific Time, lulusmom87 wrote:
My doctor was far more conservative (I think too conservative):

Weeks 1-2 - clear liquids

Weeks 3-4 - full liquids

Weeks 4-8 Pureed Foods

Weeks 8-10 - soft foods

Thereafter - normal consistency

I'm currently in the full liquid phase but I don't think I will be on it for 2 full weeks.
Yes, your plan is conservative, but I am sure your team achieved a lot of success with that approach.  Thank you so much for contributing your post op meal plan to this discussion!

Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
terilynn112
on 1/21/11 6:51 am - maryland, NY
1-3 full liquids NO Lumps
4-6 puree's, Thin enough to drink
7-9 soft solids- more like puree's but not quite real foods.
9-12 medium solids -some like real well cooked veggies basically are added.

then slowly add back regular foods, minus seedy, nuts, and roughage. That comes at 6 months.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

                           

janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:22 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, terilynn112 wrote:
1-3 full liquids NO Lumps
4-6 puree's, Thin enough to drink
7-9 soft solids- more like puree's but not quite real foods.
9-12 medium solids -some like real well cooked veggies basically are added.

then slowly add back regular foods, minus seedy, nuts, and roughage. That comes at 6 months.

Teri
This is so interesting.  I enjoy reading the different approaches.  Terilynn, you have a nice conservative approach that I am sure is very successful!  Thank you so much for sharing and contributing to this discussion.  This is great for others who may have little patient education. 

Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
terilynn112
on 1/21/11 8:06 am, edited 1/21/11 8:06 am - maryland, NY
Thank you Janet,

I had nothing by mouth for 24 hours, then a swallow study (nastiest stuff I've ever had in my mouth), and then after the results were in, I got clear liquids for 24 hours, then started full liquids.

I too wanted to say I went to a certified center of excellence. Truth is at this point, with the exception of wanting despirately an egg, I'm loving the concervative plan . I'm doing great on liquids, don't want anything BUT an egg.


Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

                           

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/11 5:33 pm - OH
Why do you assumne that "conservative" translates to "successful"?!?

Lora

 6 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

 

janet2921
on 1/21/11 6:13 pm - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
Why do you assumne that "conservative" translates to "successful"?!?

Lora
I do not assume that anything is successful for someone else.  If an intervention was unsuccessful, being with complications, then that person would have said problems were encountered. 

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/21/11 7:19 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
My surgeon practices at a Bariatric Center of Excellence but this was not my plan.

I did nothing 24 hours post-surgery then went straight to purees. At 2 weeks I was cleared for whatever foods I wanted to try.

It's amazing the variance...
HealthierTimesAhead
on 1/21/11 8:07 am
RNY on 12/20/10 with
Wow Nik...I was SO surprised they advance their patients so quickly. I love your site!! Awesome place for info and recipes.

My post-op is a 5-Stage program. Right now I'm on Stage 4 of puree/blended/soft foods; should be advancing to the final stage of Stage 5 next week posibly. I too am in a program at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. My surgeon is phenomenal and all the literature/education they give us is awesome.

Terry
                 
mypookiesma
on 1/21/11 11:22 am - SC
Like Nik, I too was allowed nothing by mouth for the first 24 hours.  Then a barium swallow test was done to check for leaks.  Once cleared it was on to clear liquids for the first week. 

Then full liquids for weeks 2-3.

Weeks 3-6 was soft foods.  After week six you go into the maintenace phase which is 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal, 3 meals a day, liquids between meals, no snacking, 60 grams of protein and 64 oz if liquid.  Cleared for Raw fruit with peelings, seedy fruits, raw vegetables, bread, cereal, rice, pasta, crackers, pickles, nuts, seeds and popcorn.

It IS amazing at the variety in the plans.

My surgeon too is at a Bariatric Center of Excellence.
        
redbedhead
on 1/21/11 7:26 am, edited 1/21/11 7:26 am - Colorado Springs, CO
My plan was sure different than everyone elses.  It went like this

DAY 1 post op Clear liquids
DAY 2 post op Pureed
DAY 3 post op Soft foods (2 tablespoon max limit per meal, 3 meals per day,  no snacks, no protein shakes, 50 percent of meal to be protein)
DAY 4-7 same as day 3 but at home  instead of in hospital
Week 2 post op regular consistency foods
weeks 3- 52 post op add 1 teaspoon every week to max limit  all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 to be maintained 

Protein shakes MAY be added at anytime IF the nutritionist believes weight loss to be too rapid.  (visits to Nutritionist at week 2, month 3, month 6, month 9, and month 12)

By week 52 and then for life after max limit will be equal to 1 cup total volume all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 in place


Edited to add: Each week had a list of new foods to incorporate like nuts, cooked veggies,  certain raw veggies etc.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  
        

janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:28 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, ncmdgirl wrote:
My plan was pretty good, I think:

week 1-2 (full liquids)
week 3-5 (pureed foods)
week 6-8 (soft foods)
week 8 (start introducing regular foods of all types and consistencies)

I was told that I needed to be getting minimum 80 grams of protein a day, drinking 64oz. of liquid, exercising at least 30 minutes daily with emphasis on weight training.
Yes ncmgirl, 
Your plan looks nice and very realistic.  I am enjoying reading the differences.  Thank you so much for your sharing and details with the protein, fluids and exercise!

Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
janet2921
on 1/21/11 10:50 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, redbedhead wrote:
My plan was sure different than everyone elses.  It went like this

DAY 1 post op Clear liquids
DAY 2 post op Pureed
DAY 3 post op Soft foods (2 tablespoon max limit per meal, 3 meals per day,  no snacks, no protein shakes, 50 percent of meal to be protein)
DAY 4-7 same as day 3 but at home  instead of in hospital
Week 2 post op regular consistency foods
weeks 3- 52 post op add 1 teaspoon every week to max limit  all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 to be maintained 

Protein shakes MAY be added at anytime IF the nutritionist believes weight loss to be too rapid.  (visits to Nutritionist at week 2, month 3, month 6, month 9, and month 12)

By week 52 and then for life after max limit will be equal to 1 cup total volume all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 in place


Edited to add: Each week had a list of new foods to incorporate like nuts, cooked veggies,  certain raw veggies etc.

WOW!  Amazing details.  This is great!  I am loving these comparisons and am happy to see many centers do indeed take the time to be careful with the diet plans. 

Thank you so much Redbedhead!  This is really appreciated!!

Janet

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100
    
redbedhead
on 1/21/11 3:33 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Oh!  I forgot to add 

They do not have protein gram goals just that each meal be 50% protein.  They did have a minimum water goal of 64 ounces a day, however.

My Center was also a center of excellence.  

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  
        

janet2921
on 1/21/11 7:31 am - Chicago, IL
Thank you all for sharing your postoperative meal plans.  We were fortunate to have wonderful patient education on nutrition.  I am hopeful that newbies will be able to come here and see  our center's plans and strategies..... only if they need it. 

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."
 

   


cent100