The Post Op Meal Plan from My Bariatric Center of Excellence

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/11 9:33 am - OH
Why do you assumne that "conservative" translates to "successful"?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

janet2921
on 1/21/11 10:13 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
Why do you assumne that "conservative" translates to "successful"?!?

Lora
I do not assume that anything is successful for someone else.  If an intervention was unsuccessful, being with complications, then that person would have said problems were encountered. 

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/20/11 11:19 pm - Baltimore, MD
My surgeon practices at a Bariatric Center of Excellence but this was not my plan.

I did nothing 24 hours post-surgery then went straight to purees. At 2 weeks I was cleared for whatever foods I wanted to try.

It's amazing the variance...
HealthierTimesAhead
on 1/21/11 12:07 am
RNY on 12/20/10 with
Wow Nik...I was SO surprised they advance their patients so quickly. I love your site!! Awesome place for info and recipes.

My post-op is a 5-Stage program. Right now I'm on Stage 4 of puree/blended/soft foods; should be advancing to the final stage of Stage 5 next week posibly. I too am in a program at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. My surgeon is phenomenal and all the literature/education they give us is awesome.

Terry

mypookiesma
on 1/21/11 3:22 am - SC
Like Nik, I too was allowed nothing by mouth for the first 24 hours.  Then a barium swallow test was done to check for leaks.  Once cleared it was on to clear liquids for the first week. 

Then full liquids for weeks 2-3.

Weeks 3-6 was soft foods.  After week six you go into the maintenace phase which is 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal, 3 meals a day, liquids between meals, no snacking, 60 grams of protein and 64 oz if liquid.  Cleared for Raw fruit with peelings, seedy fruits, raw vegetables, bread, cereal, rice, pasta, crackers, pickles, nuts, seeds and popcorn.

It IS amazing at the variety in the plans.

My surgeon too is at a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

redbedhead
on 1/20/11 11:26 pm, edited 1/20/11 11:26 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
My plan was sure different than everyone elses.  It went like this

DAY 1 post op Clear liquids
DAY 2 post op Pureed
DAY 3 post op Soft foods (2 tablespoon max limit per meal, 3 meals per day,  no snacks, no protein shakes, 50 percent of meal to be protein)
DAY 4-7 same as day 3 but at home  instead of in hospital
Week 2 post op regular consistency foods
weeks 3- 52 post op add 1 teaspoon every week to max limit  all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 to be maintained 

Protein shakes MAY be added at anytime IF the nutritionist believes weight loss to be too rapid.  (visits to Nutritionist at week 2, month 3, month 6, month 9, and month 12)

By week 52 and then for life after max limit will be equal to 1 cup total volume all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 in place

Edited to add: Each week had a list of new foods to incorporate like nuts, cooked veggies,  certain raw veggies etc.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

janet2921
on 1/20/11 11:28 pm - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, ncmdgirl wrote:
My plan was pretty good, I think:

week 1-2 (full liquids)
week 3-5 (pureed foods)
week 6-8 (soft foods)
week 8 (start introducing regular foods of all types and consistencies)

I was told that I needed to be getting minimum 80 grams of protein a day, drinking 64oz. of liquid, exercising at least 30 minutes daily with emphasis on weight training.
Yes ncmgirl, 
Your plan looks nice and very realistic.  I am enjoying reading the differences.  Thank you so much for your sharing and details with the protein, fluids and exercise!

Janet

Janet

cent100

janet2921
on 1/21/11 2:50 am - Chicago, IL
On January 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, redbedhead wrote:
My plan was sure different than everyone elses.  It went like this

DAY 1 post op Clear liquids
DAY 2 post op Pureed
DAY 3 post op Soft foods (2 tablespoon max limit per meal, 3 meals per day,  no snacks, no protein shakes, 50 percent of meal to be protein)
DAY 4-7 same as day 3 but at home  instead of in hospital
Week 2 post op regular consistency foods
weeks 3- 52 post op add 1 teaspoon every week to max limit  all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 to be maintained 

Protein shakes MAY be added at anytime IF the nutritionist believes weight loss to be too rapid.  (visits to Nutritionist at week 2, month 3, month 6, month 9, and month 12)

By week 52 and then for life after max limit will be equal to 1 cup total volume all other restrictions as stated on DAY 3 in place

Edited to add: Each week had a list of new foods to incorporate like nuts, cooked veggies,  certain raw veggies etc.

WOW!  Amazing details.  This is great!  I am loving these comparisons and am happy to see many centers do indeed take the time to be careful with the diet plans. 

Thank you so much Redbedhead!  This is really appreciated!!

Janet

Janet

cent100

redbedhead
on 1/21/11 7:33 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Oh!  I forgot to add 

They do not have protein gram goals just that each meal be 50% protein.  They did have a minimum water goal of 64 ounces a day, however.

My Center was also a center of excellence.  

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

janet2921
on 1/20/11 11:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Thank you all for sharing your postoperative meal plans.  We were fortunate to have wonderful patient education on nutrition.  I am hopeful that newbies will be able to come here and see  our center's plans and strategies..... only if they need it. 

Janet

cent100

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 550 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 535 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 333 views