Recent Topics
Just 3 lbs to go!
SkinnyScientist · 3 replies · 68 views
Absolutely no energy
angel91e · 2 replies · 84 views
The scale moved!
MissHolly · 1 replies · 70 views

Anyone else have trouble sleeping at night after surgery?

alljemms
on 2/9/11 1:39 am
Ughhh I had my surgery just about 4 weeks ago and I am having trouble sleeping at night. I am not sure if it's because I am napping during the day.....anyone else have different sleeping patterns? I think what I need to do is force myself to get up early like I do when I am working and not nap all day to see if that helps.
Jane N.
on 2/9/11 3:25 am - Round Rock, TX
I had terrible insomnia the first two months.  My doc said it was perfectly normal and temporary.  Now I'm on the other side of the spectrum and for the first time in my life I get sleepy before 10pm and go to bed early most nights. 

Amy R.
on 2/9/11 3:29 am
RNY on 12/09/08 with
I'd try that, but I know I had trouble sleeping after the surgery as well, whether I napped or not. I still do (witness that its' 3:20am here).

My GP theorized at first that I was releasing a lot of energy as I lost weight - ie, I was used to sleeping more than normal before surgery, but as I lost weight I had more energy to do things and didn't need to sleep as much. He still thinks that's the issue, and in reality I've been in bed since 10 so I've gotten 5 hours which is more than a lot of people get.

I'm thinking I'll start going to bed around midnight.

But I do remember immediately post-op, I could only sleep about 3 hours at a time regardless of whether it was day or night.

Best of luck to you. Congrats on making and following through with a major, life-changing decision. Even if you can't sleep for a while, you won't regret it (the surgery)!!!!

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.  Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.  Watch your habits, for they become character.
              Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.  ~ unattributed

Ann S.
on 2/9/11 4:53 am - FL
Another day where I come on to the board, see a title and SMILE knowing I am NOT alone!! LOL!! It's been driving me crazy!! My hubby came to me last night and says baby.... come to bed. He had just woken up and I wasnt in it so he came looking for me. I'm sitting at the computer and I said I will, when I can sleep!!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers    

MellyB
on 2/9/11 5:41 am - Brooklyn, MD
RNY on 09/20/10 with
My husband can't sleep either.  He had surgery at the end of August and he is up all hours of the night.  The Dr gave no explanation 
Start - 241, Surgery - approx. 237, Surgeon's Goal - 175, My goal - 160, Height 5'7"

ohioh
on 2/9/11 6:59 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
I had issues at first not being able to sleep and sometimes I find myself waking up several times a night. Something that I found helpful in those first few week in particular was to listen to my ipod. I don't know about you, but I tend to lay there frustrated when I can't sleep and as a result I tend to think about how frustrated I am that I can't sleep and that makes it worse..lol.  When I listened to my ipod it kept my mind off of all that and I would fall asleep. Just an idea!! Sometimes I would wake up if music would stop but then I would just start it again on another long music list.  Regardless of whether you try this and/or it works for you...I hope you start getting some rest soon!  Oh..another thing i have tried is watching t.v., that tends to make me sleepy, again distracting me..and I will fall asleep watching the television. Good luck! 
soldierzgirl36
on 2/9/11 7:02 am - WA
What about a sleep aid? Like tylenol pm to help on occasion?

SOLDIERZGIRL

unewillow
on 2/9/11 8:48 am - CT
I suffered from bouts of insomnia before surgery, so I just chalked it up to my normal swing in sleeping patterns. I have the hardest time falling asleep, but once I'm out I don't want to wake up! I could go to bed at 2am and sleep until 2pm. I try to make myself get up early, not take a nap, and then go to bed at a decent time but that doesn't always work.

alljemms
on 2/9/11 10:16 am
Does Tylenol PM really work? I mean does it really make you tired? I definitely do not want to get any kind of prescription sleeping pill but I would try something over the counter
AliSarah
on 2/9/11 1:01 pm
I have trouble getting to sleep at night... Once I'm asleep, I don't have any trouble sleeping or staying asleep or any of that... But, I might lay in the bed for 2 or 3 hours waiting to fall asleep!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Susan G.
on 2/9/11 2:03 pm
I don't have a problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. I'm usually wide awake at 3 or 4am. Very frustrating, I am so sleepy!
Sue G.