SURGERY WITH H PYLORI..???

Lorrainecma
on 2/24/11 3:36 am, edited 2/24/11 4:16 am
Wondering if anyone has any info. on what they do when doing surgery on a patient who has H pylori. All treatment so far have failed, and I am scheduled Tuesday  for my consult to schedule surgery and my doc will go over everything then, but just curious if anyone else is familiar with this process??

Thanks,
     Lora
SI_Mike
on 2/24/11 4:36 am - NY
RNY on 03/23/11 with
Hi Lorraine,

I was recently treated for H Pylori and my surgeon told me he would not do the surgery until I was able to produce a negative result.  Fortunately, i was able to get a negative result from a breath test about 1 1/2 months after my treatment.  Each doctor's criteria is different, so I wish you the best of luck!

Be well,
Mike

JloCuchara
on 9/11/17 9:31 am

Mike, I currently am taking 2 antibiotics and prilosec for my h.pylori, i just started them a few days ago, i see you said you tested negative 1 1/2 months after the treatment? Did you do anything else besides taking the meds? Did you only have to take them for 14 days or did you have to do the regimen 2 times? I am not scheduled for surgery just yet as i have to be negative before they will schedule my sleeve surgery and I was supposed to start that process in October but now not sure?

cajungirl
on 2/24/11 4:49 am
I don't think any surgeon would do it, I may be wrong.  I personally would not have surgery until the h pylori has been treated successfully.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

TamaraL
on 2/24/11 8:32 am

They are not supposed to do the RNY if you are testing positive for H pylori because this is what causes ulcers so if you test positive then when you have the surgery you are at a increased risk of getting ulcers.

I honestly would not want the RNY until the H Pylori is cleared because I would always be in fear that I would have a ulcer

Tamara

gldngrlz47
on 2/24/11 10:44 am - CA
Hello. I had the h pylori bacteria before surgery. the gastroenterologist would not recommend surgery because of the bacteria he said it causes ulcers. I was tested three times. I heard on doctor oz that pepto bismol extra strength kills the h pylori bacteria. I took that instead of the medication the 3rd time and the test came back negative. good luck to you.
mrstuttle09
on 3/15/11 2:37 pm - MA
 how long did u have to take the pepto for? i am positive for h pylori and i am currently on 4 medications that make me ill.
gldngrlz47
on 3/21/11 7:46 am - CA
I took the extra strength pepto bismol until the bottle was gone and was re tested (stool) sample and it was negative. It was a week before my surgery. Hope this was helpful. 
Carol M.
on 2/24/11 2:01 pm - TX
H. Pylori is difficult to get rid of. It requires a very heavy duty antibiotic regime. The main reason for not doing surgery if you test positive is it a primary cause of ulcers. An ulcer in the lower stomach after surgery can be very problematic and not worth the risk. I've never heard of any doctor performing surgery with a patient testing positive. As for self remedies, I wouldn't try them. You might get a negative breath test, but it might only be masking the presence of the bacteria.
Carol , East Texas
kristeninoc
on 2/24/11 10:57 pm - Santa Ana, CA

I asked one of the Dr.'s at my surgical center and he said they would do it. I just could not shake it and by end of the third round I did not even test again because I didn't want to treat again.  So I really don't know if I had it when I had my surgery.  However, when the Dr is cutting your stomach and the camera is in there I think they can see if there is any damage from the h pylori.  I am 4 months out and have had no problems.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics