Vitamins: Swallow vs Chew

ladyquenn
on 2/26/11 7:17 am - WV

I am 4 months post op and trying to decide whether to switch from chewable to swallow vitamins now. My Dr says If I can its ok, and I have been taking only tablet iron the entire time. I also had no problems with the post op vicodin tablets and potassium. I guess I just worries about buying them and not having then go down and now some say they might not dissolve enough to give me full benefit. My Dr says that is not his experience. I think I might be paranoid about this, anyone else have any issues or opinions pro or com?

Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/26/11 7:20 am - OH
Your pills and vitamins will dissolve just fine... especially since you should be drinking 64 oz of water each day!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 2/26/11 7:28 am - OH
They will dissolve just fine.  The ASMBS says vitamins you swallow are fine and no studies have found otherwise.  It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Kelly
Michelle E.
on 2/26/11 7:29 am
I dislike the taste of most chewables plus they get stuck in my teeth.
Melissa88
on 2/26/11 7:35 am
 I am also about 4 months out and I have been taking regular vitamins for two months now. I have never had a problem with them. I hate the chewable vitamins so I switched as soon as possible. If you like the chewables take them until you feel ready. No need to push yourself, right? I take two a day due to the absorption issue per my doctors direction. My doctor recommended taking one pill every 15 minutes to avoid any blockage problems. Hope this helps and good luck! :)

~Gotta live like you're dyin'~            
YourPerfect10
on 2/26/11 7:50 am - Newtonville, MA
Hi,

I am new to this site and I thought it would good to see what others are going through. I am considering the Gastric Bypass surgery and feel a little scared about doing so. I will be attending a seminar information session next week.

Can you tell me how long does it take for you to recover and stay away from work?

Thanks
Andrea U.
on 2/26/11 7:55 am - Wilson, NC
I take swallables.  Have been for years.  Have the labs that show they work, too.

mainegal
on 2/26/11 8:19 am - Thomaston, ME
I was SO glad when I could stop the chewables and do regular vits post surgery. Hated the taste of chewables. I've never had a problem. DH is still taking chewables- reg swallow vits didn't sit well with him. Everyone is different.

Emily     SW 320, Pre Surg 271.3, Lowest 189.8 Current 212.9 GW -155-188
Continuing the weight loss journey 10 pound goals at a time.  June 2011

Brenda C.
on 2/26/11 8:28 am
I am three months out, I snap mine in half -- the size of the eraser on a pencil rule.  I do a combination of some chewables, but mostly swallowable pills (is that a word?)

My blood work is on Monday, so I will know more this upcoming week if I am doing the right course.  If there are any problems, it will show in the blood.

Hope that helps.
Brenda  : )~
soblessed
on 2/26/11 8:32 am - NJ
I was so nauseated for about six to eight weeks after surgery, plus I have always hated chewable pills, so I switched to swallowable pills ASAP, which was about 10 weeks out, I guess.  I also couldn't stand the protein shakes and so I get my protein from food alone and my vitamins from pills.  My surgeon had me taking Urso Forte pills for six months after my surgery and I took them faithfully.  They were huge and since I was able to swallow half of them at a time from the beginning I figured it would be fine.....and the labs show it was :)
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views
Recent Topics