Roz4103 · 42 replies · 1233 views
Full liquids
bublegirl1 · 29 replies · 500 views
Misery and Donuts!!!
MyLady Heidi · 21 replies · 645 views

can you take TO MUCH vitamin B12?

Down200Pounds
on 3/2/11 5:09 pm - MA

Can a person take in TO MUCH vitamin B12?

I used to get b12 shots because of very low levels and anemia.  I recently had a blood test, and it showed normal b12 levels for the first time in a long time.  

I just realized that my new daily vitamin routine gives me a lot of b12.

Daily vitamin with 100mcg

Vitamin c chew with 75mcg

Acai chew with 75mcg

Is that too much for one day? Or is it good for someone with a low B12 history and  anemia to take in as much as they can?

Thanks

Ginny, Orange, MA
RNY with Silastic Ring: 7/3/03~Dr. Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
Total Weight Loss:  #200
somedayitwillgetbetter@yahoo.com

ANNI D.
on 3/2/11 5:12 pm
This may be dumb but............May I ask what a silastic ring is?
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

poet_kelly
on 3/2/11 5:16 pm - OH
Those are all things you chew or swallow, right?

Since you have very little intrinsic factor, you'll absorb almost none of that.  So no, it won't be too much.

Are you still doing shots?  You'll need a B12 supplements (shots, sublinguals, nasal spray or patch) for life after RNY.

Kelly
avidreader
on 3/2/11 5:27 pm - Cary, NC
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I take 2500mcg 3x a week, sublinguinal

I think what ever your body doesn't use is just expelled in your urine.
The bad thing would be to not get enough - not a good thing.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
m53 r
on 3/2/11 6:02 pm
i think you're good. as long as your labs are good i would not worry about it.

Down200Pounds
on 3/2/11 6:19 pm - MA
a silastic ring is a procedure im not even sure if they do anymore. its like the fobi pouch. a permanent ring between the pouch and intestines.

i also do sub-lingual b12 twice a week. well, my labs are normal, so i guess im not ingesting TOO much

thanks guys for your responses!
Lindsayc
on 3/2/11 7:55 pm - Medicine Hat, Canada
My doctor told me that what you dont use you just expel. In fact he loaded me up just before and just after my surgery so I wasn't so exhausted.

rbb825
on 3/2/11 10:07 pm - Suffern, NY
first of all, what is in your multi vitamin doesn't count since we can only aborb sublingual or injections. I am not sure about the chews but those are such tiny doses, I doubt they count for anything.  We need a minimum of 1000mcg daily and if you have a history of B12 deficiency, I tend to think you need alot more than that.  Are you still doing any injections?  How much sublingual are you doing and how often?  You say your B12 level is normal, what are you considering normal?  Prior to your WLS, you wanted to your level to be above 200 up to 900 but like the other posters said, you can go higher because you just pee out the excess.  Now postop, ideally we like our levels up around 1200-1500 and as high as 2000 to make up for the severe  malabsorbtion that we have.

If I were you, I would aim for higher levels - you don't want your B12 deficiency to come back.

coconut01
on 3/3/11 5:19 am - Canada
I have too much B12 according to my nut's.  I was taking 500 mg( I think it is mg) a day, then they told me to cut down so I did to 250 a day, they told me the next time it was still too high so now I take 250 every other day.  I have my next appointment in April so we will see.  Not too sure why it is so high for me, but I feel okay and they have not panicked they just told me to cut down for now.
HW- 269.5   SW-255  CW- 128.5   Goal - 130  Lost so far ( including optifast) - 141
Started optifast 15/02/10
Gastric ByPass 01/03/10

Down200Pounds
on 3/3/11 7:38 am, edited 3/3/11 8:48 am - MA
these were my labs a few weeks ago before i really started to get SERIOUS about my vitamins:

Iron: 77

Ferritin: 14  
B12: 320  
Vitamin D 25 hydroxy: 26  
Total serum protein: 5.9  
Glucose: 96  
Magnesium: 1.8   

reading the posts above, i have deducted that my  labs are lower then i thought~on the lab sheet it shows NORMAL ranges...but i guess for us WLS patients its different.

since getting these yucky labs back i have changed my vitamin routine to include:

(8) vitalady tender iron- 25mg carbonyl iron~ 4 pills taken 2x a day with a vitamin c chew. 

B12 sublingual under tongue liquid-1200mcg, 2x day and i even swab  some in my nose!

Calcet calcium citrate 500mg & Vitamin D3 400ui lemon chews, 3xday. (taken at least 3 hours away from the iron)

2 EAS protein shakes daily~84 grams protein

Magnesium Citrate Pill~500mg 1x day

should i be doing anything else, or more????

(i see the doc in a few weeks...i have the feeling he is going to put me on 50,000 vit d weekly by prescription, and b12 shots for a few months.)

Ginny, Orange, MA

Lady Lithia
on 3/5/11 4:31 pm
Your Vitamin B12 is CRITICALLY low. If you have any sublinguals pop a few RIGHT NOW.... as in don't finish readign what I am writing In fact, I'll add what else I want to say in a separate post. Seriously! Your in teh range where you can get PERMANENT nerve damage. so go do it! If you don't haev any sublinguals, go to the store and buy one and pop it (before you even pay for it, get one going) 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Down200Pounds
on 3/6/11 6:21 pm, edited 3/6/11 6:21 pm - MA
i popped a few!!!!....thank you
then went to my general doc and she wanted to know why i wanted shots as my results were NORMAL....and wouldnt give them to me. wow.
im popping (2) 5,000 sublinguals a day for the past few days.

im also taking (2) vitamin d3 1000 sublinguals a day until my d3 50,000 dry pills get here.

thanks guys :-)
Ginny, Orange, MA

Lady Lithia
on 3/5/11 4:36 pm
Vitamin D.... you don't want to do teh prescription vitamin D....that's usually the wrong type of D and often useless.

Buy some DRY D3 that is not suspended in Oil.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Just Ducky
on 3/3/11 12:34 pm - Belleville, IL
My B12 in my labs was 2900...(Yep you read that right) my Surgeon was not concerned...It is near impossible ot OD on B12.

I was doing 2 B12 injections per month (1 on the 15 and one on the 1st) as well as 1000mcg Sublingual 1 times a week...

You will NOT get any B12 from "eating" it...As we have no intrinsic factor....Your B12 is dangerously LOW.

I ended up stopping the sublingual and cutting my injections down to 1 time a month. You need to do the (prescription) Nasal Spray, Injection or do Sublingual B12 1000mcg DAILY.

Good luck
Warmly,
Jackie

Down200Pounds
on 3/5/11 4:23 pm, edited 3/5/11 4:39 pm - MA
i went to my general doc the other day to discuss b12 shots, and she said no, i didnt need them.... "why? your b12 is in normal range"....yeah right, she knows nothing about the bypass surgery.

after i insisted, and insisted....she said she will consult with my bypass doctor about shots. but you know.... i think just taking 5,000 sublingual daily will do the trick. thats an even higher dose than you get with the shots.

I had NO idea that we couldnt injest and absorb b12 in our tummies. the doctor said, take your daily vitamin, take calcium take b12~ so i did. they didnt say HOW to take it. so i just took it in the wrong forms....i was so faithful for a year to take my stuff every day, and look what happened, yikes!!

i also discussed  with her going on a D prescription, and she wouldnt write that either, without discussing with my bypass doc first, tick tick, days are going by here and i havent heard back from them. i will just take it into my own hands, and i am starting d3 50,000 for a while.

i guess i just kinda got pissed today, can i say that here? LOL.
its like, none of my doctors ever told me how to take these vitamins or anything. I have to call them for my own blood tests....i have to pull teeth to get on any vitamin supplements, my general doc knows crud about what i am going through, and my bypass doctor takes my blood once a year and i never hear from him again for another yearn until i contact them for another blood test. i see my results, and they dont look bad to ME...so i didnt really realize anything was wrong. i am now more informed and know my labs suck, and both my bypass doctor and general doc got the results...and neither one ever called me in regard to anything. i figured out how bad they were by you guys, my bypass buddies. i just learned today from pam about our intestines and how we dont absorb micronutrients from FOOD products. like when we eat steak. we absorb the protien, but not the iron or b12. I guess i just need to take responsibility and start reasearching and taking care of myself...i just didnt know i wasnt.

wow, 7 years later and this forum is teaching me more than i have ever known before. just a big thanks to all of you, :-)

Ginny, Orange, MA