Reached 100LBS!! Woop! Woop!
NYMom222 · 14 replies · 135 views
Let it end soon!!!
Ocalasam · 11 replies · 169 views

Pain in lower left abdomen

Debbie McMahan
on 4/21/11 10:30 am - SC
RNY on 04/11/11 with
I am having serious pain in my lower left abdomen. It is not near my incisions. Do you think this is where my small intestine is reattached? Or could it still be gas pain?

SURGERY DATE SET!  - April 11, 2011
LorieL
on 4/21/11 11:26 am - Melbourne, FL
Call your doctor's office. They expect you to have questions.
Good luck.
L
SoulLips
on 4/21/11 8:41 pm - Ukiah, CA
I was very blessed and lucky after my surgery.  I never used my pain pump when I was in the hospital and I was able to get up and walk for long periods of time without any problems while I was still in the hospital.  When I got home, I was stunned at the horrible "gas pains" I had.  The worst was in my lower left abdomen.  The pain meds wouldn't even take the edge off of the pain!  I tried walking, massaging the area, laying down in different positions... everything I could think of to move that "gas".  When I talked to my surgeon he said it wasn't a gas pain, it was my remnant colon going into spasms. 
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

Debbie McMahan
on 4/21/11 8:44 pm - SC
RNY on 04/11/11 with
What did you have to so for that and how long did it last?

SoulLips
on 4/21/11 9:04 pm - Ukiah, CA
The pain eventually went away on it's own.  I think it took a week or more for it to go away.  In the meantime I just assumed I was having the WORST gas pains I'd ever had in my life.  I had a couple times where the pain was so severe it buckled my knees and I literally could not move.  It was awful.  I seem to have a high pain threshold... and the "gas pains" crippled me.  It's worth a call into your doctor to see what he or she has to say about your pain... just to be sure.
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

princessfrogee
on 6/28/11 5:05 pm - AL
Debbie, I am curious to know what your surgeon said about this?  I am one week post-op and get pains there as well and also wondered did they reattach something there.  Mine only hurts if I move too fast or something.  Mainly trying to get out of bed.  I have to roll to my left in order to get out of my bed and I get a twinge/tweek there each time, but today I sneezed twice in a row and it jarred it bad and a little later I went to get off my bed as I had been laying down resting and it burned for a good ten minutes afterward.  When I walked upstairs I felt every step there as well.  I have my one wk post-op tomorrow morning and will ask, but was just curious what your doc told you.  Thanks!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Debbie McMahan
on 6/29/11 2:39 pm - SC
RNY on 04/11/11 with
The pain lasted another week at least. Then it went away overnight. My surgeon said that the gas that they put in you during surgery can get trapped and takes a long time to go away. It also can move around causing pain in various locations, especially on the left.
I hope you feel better soon.
Debbie

princessfrogee
on 6/29/11 5:53 pm - AL
This definitely wasnt' a gas feeling.  Went to my one wk post-op today and he explained that area is one of the areas that they cut through the muscle to get to the other stuff.  The stapler goes into that incision just above that area so they cut a bigger area there.  He said more than likely it is the staples they had to staple into the muscle to close up being pulled and that is normal, but not to stress over having ripped my intestine or stomach area where they did sutures and staples.  The burning was gone today, but the pulling/pinching feeling was still there so just gonna take it even more easy for the next few days and hope that like yours, it goes away in a week...or less.    Thanks!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180