jennyq88 · 0 replies · 11 views
Surgery successful
Mybratboys3 · 2 replies · 17 views
Help
Beth M. · 6 replies · 93 views

bowel cleanse before surgery

karif
on 6/26/11 11:35 am - CA
Does anyone remember what they used for bowel cleaning before surgery?
lorilea
on 6/26/11 11:50 am - MN
RNY on 01/12/11 with
I used the lemon flavored Magnesium Citrate.  You can buy this at most drug stores, i have also seen it at Walmart, Target and my grocery stores. 

Don27516
on 6/26/11 11:50 am - NC
 Magnesium Citrate. I chose the lemon lime flavor. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

GastricKitty
on 6/26/11 12:04 pm - VA
 Magnesium citrate. I used the grape flavor. I got it at Walgreens. Drink lots of water!
Halobabe99
on 6/26/11 12:11 pm
My surgery is next week---an I'm supposed to take Milk of Magnesia two days before then go on a liquid diet...then another dose next day if needed.
sadielee
on 6/26/11 12:54 pm
my surgery date is july 14th and I haven't been told to do anything yet. When do they tell you?
sadie
Graceful1969
on 6/26/11 12:58 pm
RNY on 07/05/11 with
My surgery is July 5th and I haven't been told anything about doing that either.....

Jen44
on 6/26/11 1:54 pm
My surgeon doesn't believe that a bowel cleanse is necessary because they aren't doing anything with the large intestine.  I was on clear liquids the day before surgery.

syarbroG-5
on 6/26/11 2:53 pm
Hi Karif,      My surgery is tomorrow morning. I am now on the liquid pre-op diet. The same as the first meal after your surgery.  My doctor gave me a prescription for MOVIPREP Powder Kit. It is a prescription formula that comes as 2 doses. You have to mix package A & B with a whole quart of water and drink 1/4 every 15 minutes.  It has 2 applications of this stuff. And I'm suppose to fini**** in 1 hour.(at 12)  Then do it again at 4.  Not happening!!! I called my friend who is a Nurse and she told me just to make sure that I finish at least 1 quart. Which I did. And my bowels are running like water and clear. She said that is what they are looking for. But I could not eat anything solid today.  I think I would rather drink Buttermilk and I have never drank Buttermilk.  At first it taste like Alka-Setzer but it has a sweet aftertaste. YUUUCK! YUCK!  & more YUCK!!  It would have been nice if your doctor gave you better instructions or more help. Funny how not all Bariatric doctors practice the same laws or rules of engagement. But runny and clear is what you are looking for. Also, I have had the magnesium citrate and it works to do the same thing as this stuff. Wish I had that as an option.              Sharon

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

astrochick18
on 6/26/11 2:58 pm - Archer, FL
I als had to take Magnisium Citrite the day before surgery. They told me about it at my pre-op appointment (3 days before surgery). I was told to take the entire bottle the afternoon before surgery. Within a few hours it kicked in and everything was running clear when I arrived at the hospital.

Holly O.
on 6/26/11 3:41 pm - FL

I had to go to Publix and get (2) fleet enamas.........$2.38!!  Hated it but it was over quick!!  Dr. just wanted anything hanging around out before the surgery!!  All went well.  I am 11 days out and have had a b.m. everyday!! -Holly

Holly                                      
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/26/11 4:38 pm
RNY on 06/08/11 with
I did clear liquids the day before surgery.  Then at 4 pm 1/2 of a 8 oz bottle of Mirlax (17 doses per bottle) in 32 oz. of any clear liquid.  At 8 pm the other 1/2 bottle in another 32 oz. of clear liquids. 

Winnie