Ketones and Protein in Urine

nduke39
on 7/22/11 4:00 am - FL
I went in for Urine Analaysis last night for a UTI and it came back with Ketones of +4 and Positive for Protein.  Nothing else other than the UTI came back positive.  Is this normal?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/22/11 4:02 am - Baltimore, MD

Are you pre-op or post? If post, how far out from surgery?

I know that we produce ketones initially in our process (which is why we get the bad taste in our mouths and bad breath). But I also, VAGUELY, know that ketones and protein in urine have to do with the kidneys as well.

So in short, while I am probably the LAST person who has the answers, I think the answers to the above two questions might help the person that does.

:)

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

nduke39
on 7/22/11 4:08 am - FL
I am 3 months post-op from RNY

AmyCathleenRN
on 7/22/11 4:26 am - VA
RNY on 06/13/11 with
We produce ketones when our body breaks down fat instead of sugars for energy.  Usually seen in high protein/low carb diets (which is basically an RNY post op diet).  As for protein in urine, and I am not a doctor so take this information with a grain of salt, protein can (but not always) indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.  Of course there are a hundred other things it could be but blood pressure is usually the first thing they check. 

juspeachy1
on 7/22/11 9:30 pm - MO
IM NOT SURE WHAT IT MEANS AFTER A ROUXENY BUT THOSE SYMPTOMS RESEMBLE DIABETES
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 770 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 107 views