How much weight did you lose after your first month post op?

CoachArch
on 8/5/11 3:34 pm - NM
I'm officially one month out and have only 28 pounds. Is this normal? It seems to be kind of slow to me, but of course I'm no expert lol. I think I'm in a stall as I've only lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks. Can someone please advise.... I have a lot to lose and don't want to be the one person this surgery doesn't work for lol. I'm getting in all my liquids and struggle to get in my 145 grams of protein per day, but do manage to get it in most days. I think I've been following the rules by weighing my food, exercising and such. Please share your experiences with me...
Lisa R.
on 8/5/11 3:44 pm - CA
Really?  You think 28 lbs in a month doesn't seem like a lot?  It is massive!  

A stall is when you don't lose any weight at all, you are losing 2 lbs a week, that is good.

This is a common post on these boards, you are not alone when you feel frustrated that your weight is not coming off in sheets and waves.  It is coming off, steady and sure.  You will really start to notice it about the 3 month mark.  

Keep up doing what you are doing, make sure you eat enough and don't lower your calories to lose more weight, that won't work.  You need to eat to lose.

I have lost 50lbs in 3 months and one week.  Give it time, I am pretty sure this surgery works for everyone in the first 6 to 9 months.  Your focus should be on gaining new healthy habits so that when the weight is gone you can keep it off.  

Don't stress you are doing good and it is working for you.  28 lbs in a month is great!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Tim T.
on 8/5/11 9:20 pm - Eastham, MA
I'm 4 1/4 weeks out and I am down 26 lbs. from 265 day of surgery (7/5) to 239 this morning. I feel like I have stalled, 10 lbs. came off the first week. I'm getting 80+ grams of protein and 600 to 700 calories daily.

Laura in Texas
on 8/5/11 10:15 pm
I lost 29 pounds the first month, but I had lost zero prior to surgery. People who lose a lot pre-op seem to have slower weight loss at the beginning than those of us who did nothing. Relax. You are doing well!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Auroro13
on 3/26/14 11:57 pm - Canada

That made me feel better to read. I lost 29lbs pre-surgery and have only lost 8lbs in the past four weeks. Granted, I'm losing weight, which is a first in so many years, but it has really made me feel sad.

Mizzkat
on 7/24/17 10:57 am

I also lost 29 pounds pre-surgery, and now Ive only lost 18 pounds post-surgery! its annoying....i keep saying to myself, I wonder if the surgery is even going to work for me

TraceyBrown
on 8/5/11 11:56 pm - NJ
My surgery was 6/28/11 I am down 30 lbs. I was down 29 lbs on week 3 and have not lost any since. I too feel like I may never lose any more. Could I possibly be the only person who does not lose weight after surgery??? BUT I constantly look online and see that MANY others are having the same problem. I guess I will feel better when I see the scale move I'm thinking that feeling may be similar for everyone in the situation.
Carebearny1999
on 8/6/11 12:06 am - Rochester, NY
Wow!  145g of protein!  I struggled to get in 70g....  Anyway--back to your question--YES, it's normal--remember you ALSO lost the good 10 pounds of fluids they pumped you with for surgery!  Your weight will come off like that--your body's "readjusting" to the new eating style.  Trust me, it WILL come off, I'm living proof!  I do NOT exercise and it's still coming off ;-)  Remember--slow and steady wins the race!   Keep it up!

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 1:40 am - FL
A lot of it depends on how much weight you need to drop.  At one month I was down 54 pounds.  I would say that is not typical from what I am reading on here, but then again, I have a lot to drop too.  I have slowed now and I am losing about 3-5 pounds a week.  I even had a one week stall around week 3 too.
Graceful1969
on 8/6/11 2:09 am
I had surgery the same day as you and as of this morning I am down 31 lbs.  Nut says it's very normal for weightloss to slow down between weeks 3 to 6.  I can't get in all my protein, all the protein powders and drinks totally gag me and I've been very nausous lately.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics