Most Active
Suitable Pain Meds
Andrew Thompson · 21 replies · 389 views
unfortunate update
snow_white · 20 replies · 571 views
Finally a Post-Op
mdaggett · 20 replies · 203 views

Average weight loss per week post gastric bypass?

sd2737
on 9/25/11 4:12 pm
Just wondering what the average weight loss is after gastric bypass. Had surgery almost 3 weeks ago and have only lost about 15 pounds. I am following everythng the doctors tell me and am walking every day. Just afraid my weight loss is to slow.
poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 4:16 pm - OH
I have no idea what the average per week is.  It would partly depend on how far post op.  But weight loss is usually not steady or consistent like that.  It's not like people lose about three pounds most weeks.  It's like, 10 pounds one week, two pounds the next, five pounds the next, no pounds at all the next two weeks, then six pounds the next......

An average of five pounds a week is not too slow.  How many pounds did you expect to lose each week?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Paula F.
on 9/25/11 4:17 pm - Rochester Hills , MI
I had surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have only lost 13 lbs.  I lost 10 the first week post op and have been pretty much stalled the last 2 weeks.  From everything I have read, we are normal and just need to be very patient as it will eventually pass. 
Lynns1960
on 9/16/13 3:39 pm

I have been doing the same thing just stalled. I had my surgery September 20th. I've been doing all the right things. Starting to feel depressed.

Dan OBrien
on 9/25/11 4:18 pm - FL

From what I've observed online, it tends to be the heavier you are, the faster you lose, and it seems like men lose a little faster than women, although not always.  Remember its not a race.  Think if you lose only 2lbs per week - thats 104lbs in a year.  So at that rate you're doing pretty decent.  Keep your chin up - there will be stalls and small ups and downs.  Don't live by the scale, you'll drive yourself crazy!

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

scottswife1997
on 9/25/11 4:53 pm - Ardmore, OK
RNY on 02/22/10 with

I had surgery almost two years ago.  I seemed to average a loss of 10 lbs a month.  Yes, some weeks I could lose a lb a day.  Then other weeks I wouldn't lose a thing.  I would say stay away from the scale...If you are doing what you are suppose to you will lose he weight.  It just takes your body time to adjust to everything!

Good Luck!  Keep up the good work!

Holly

Lisa R.
on 9/25/11 5:31 pm - CA
 My doctor said this, and it is true.

WL after RNY is like a set a stairs, you will lose a speed amount then level off, then lose then level.  SO if you are tracking your WL on a chart it should look like a set of stairs.  I track my weight on here and it does sort of look like stairs.  

15lbs in 3 weeks is amazing, you are going to lose no matter what you do and you are going to stop losing at times (stall) no matter what you do for the first year.  The surgery works.  You can help it along by eating right and working out.  Right now you want to concentrate on changing your habits.  Trust me on this, TRUST ME, your old habits will creep back up on you very soon.  When you start to feel normal again, like you did before surgery, it gets harder to stay away from trigger foods and "bad" foods.  Concentrate now on forming new habits and getting in some exercise and worry less about the weight.  It comes off!  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Eliza55
on 9/25/11 5:55 pm - PA
RNY on 08/11/11 with
Paula

It is difficult to compare how fast everyone loses because they start at different BMIs.  The surgeons track % excess weight loss.  So someone who has 150 excess lbs will lose lbs faster than someone who has 100. 

It is more important to make sure that you are learning to use your tool and make the permanent changes to your lifestyle.  If you're not successful at that, then you are at risk for more significant regain, no matter how much you lose now.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

LJ1972
on 9/25/11 7:41 pm - FL
Everybody is different, and everybody has different lifestyles and routines, so there is no average.
I am 6wks out this Tuesday and as far as I know I have only lost 13lbs. I workout in the gym 45min - hour 5 nights a week with cardio and strength training, I walk a mile most days and I work my small "hobby" farm by myself.
Had measurements done and I have lost 14.5 inches (2.75-hips, 4-waist, 1.75 thigh, etc).

If I tried to compare my weightloss to some 'average' I would be more mental than I already am!!
waitingtoexhale69
on 9/26/11 9:39 am - IL
YES IT'S HARD TO LOOK AT THE SCALE AND SEE THAT IT'S NOT MOVING AS FAST AS YOU WOULD LIKE IT TO MOVE, I BELIEVE THE BEST THING TO DO IS FOLLOW YOUR MEAL PLAN AND CONCENTRATE ON OTHE ACTIVITIES OR HOBBIES, AS I WAS ALSO TOLD THE WEIGHT WILL COME OFF EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT EXERCISING LIKE YOU SHOULD.  EVERY BODY  BODY IS DIFFERENT AND BURNS FAT DIFFERENTLY AS WELL.  I ONLY WEIGH MYSELF ONCE A WEEK SO I DON'T GET FRUSTRATED.  IT WILL HAPPEN DIVERT YOUR ENERGIES ELSE WARE FOR NOW.

MarineMomX2
on 9/26/11 8:41 pm - Dallas, TX
I'm  almost 5 weeks out, and like you I questioned myself a couple of weeks ago.  Personally, I think my body took a couple of week vacation to just get used to the idea of what had happened to it and the weight loss was slow too.  Even after having an accident and messing up my knee 10 days ago I figured I would be doomed to not lose.  Couldn't have been more wrong. 

When I went in for my one month visit with my surgeon last Thursday I was kinda shocked that the scale was actually moving down!  Yayy!  And, as of today I'm 28.7lbs down since surgery.  It takes time and you're going through a lot that you and your body have to get used to.  Your meds change, your eating habits change, and you're learning a whole new way to eat. 

I'm at a place where I feel good about what I've done and I know I can make it work.  That's not to say it isn't work...it definately is, but I can see changes that will make it oh so worth it!

Give yourself time (doc said slow was good too) and understand yourself and your body, you can do it at your own pace...not what anyone else has done!

Nelda
"Suck it up...you're a Marine Mom"   Lets do this!!          
nuvizions
on 5/22/12 10:39 am - IA
I am 4 weeks out from RNY bypass surgery and have loss 48 lbs. I did have complications right after surgery that required nutrition tube for one week first 3 days nothing but ice chips. This may have accelerated the weight loss amount.
dirks34
on 1/2/13 12:14 pm
RNY on 10/31/12

I had the surgery 9 weeks ago and have lost 56 lbs. I find some weeks I lose lots and other weeks just a few pounds.

I do have 155 lbs to lose total so 99 lbs to go. I would focus on the foods you are suppose to eat and not worry about

the scale.

ramsesleilapop
on 1/19/13 9:13 pm
Its been 2 and a 1/2 months since my surgery (10-31-12) and Ive lost 86 lbs. Just relax...there are weeks youll lose a lot and weeks it'll go slow. Just excercise and have fun.
Lori F.
on 1/20/13 8:52 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

According to my surgeon, the following is the average he sees in his practice:

2 weeks - 5-10%
6 weeks - 10-15%
3 mos - 20-30%
6 mos - 45-55%
12 mos - 60-70%
18 mos - 75-85%

To find your percentage: [(pounds lost) / (excess body weight) x 100 = %

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Katie K.
on 9/17/13 2:23 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I just did the math and I've lost an average of 2.6 pounds per week since surgery. Some weeks I lost more, some weeks I gained. My highest weight was 284, and my surgery weight was 245. Today I'm 213.

_Donna_
on 9/17/13 6:45 am

People really shouldn't ask for averages because everyone's journey is different and it is very hard to compare.

Some people have lost in 2 months what it took me 2 YEARS to lose.  I only lost 50 (FIFTY) pounds since my surgery in May 2011.

RNY 5-5-2011

HW 260, SW 246, LW 180,  CW 193, GW 140

Nik's Bariatric Foodie blog site!