Gastric Fistula ??

goodbyegordita
on 10/12/11 5:54 pm - Miami, FL
Found out tonight that I have a Gastric fistula between pouch and old stomach. Just got done having a hernia repaired July 4th...Anyone had a fistula before? Does this always mean surgery again? Please tell me the 411 about it.

Surgery date Sept 08, 2010.
Down 210 lbs since Surgery.
Follow my new blog on
http://goodbyegordita.wordpress.com/
add me on Facebook by searching
goodbyegordita@gmail.com

goodbyegordita
on 10/12/11 6:10 pm - Miami, FL
writing bigger so u can actually see...LOL
Found out tonight that I have a Gastric fistula between pouch and old stomach. Just got done having a hernia repaired July 4th...Anyone had a fistula before? Does this always mean surgery again? Please tell me the 411 about it.

Follow my new blog on
goodbyegordita@gmail.com

cajungirl
on 10/12/11 7:20 pm
What does if mean? It means food from your pouch will empty to your remnant stomach and getting full/staying full is harder to maintain hence lack of weight loss or regain.

The handful of those I've seen posting on OH end up getting a revision.

Sorry to hear this, do you know if your pouch was transected, I was thinking it was less likely to happen on those with more recent surgery dates?

I hope Vitalady or someone that has been around here longer will respond. I also suggest you post to the revision and complication boards to seek more information.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

SUSIEQQ62
on 10/12/11 8:58 pm - EXETER, PA
WOW I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE WHO IS HAVING THE SAME FRUSTRATING PROBLEM AS I AM..LAST YR I HAD AN ENDOSCOPY AND THEY FOUND A FISTULA AND REALLY ACTED LIKE THEY WERE NOT CONCERNED--SO I GOT SO FRUSTRATED BY NOT GETTING ANY ANSWERS FROM THE SURGEON AND HIS TEAM--THAT I JUST LEFT IT ALONE--UNTIL LAST MONTH--I PRESSED THEM ABOUT THIS AS MY POUCH AND LEFT SIDE OF IT MAKE THE STRANGEST NOISES AND SOMETIMES SOME PAIN.. WELL I JUST HAD AN UPPER AND PARTIAL LOWER GI SERIES AND THE DOC WHO DID THE TEST TOLD ME THAT I DEFINITELY HAVE A FISTULA AND IT IS LEADING TO MY OLD PART OF MY STOMACH AND 3 DAYS LATER THE SURGEOS OFFICE CALLED ME TO SCHEDULE ME TO TALK REVISION WITH THE SURGEON--THEY CALLED SO FAST I FIGURE THAT THIS IS SERIOUS OR THEY MIGHT HAVE FOUND SOME MORE COMPLICATIONS WHO KNOWS WITH ME.. I HAD MY RNY IN FEB 2007 AND LOST A LITTLE OVER 200 LBS AND NOW I AM GAINING SOME WEIGHT --LIKE 25 LBS IN THE PAST YR--BUT THIS SCARES ME AS I NEVER WANT TO WEIGH 450 LBS AGAIN.. I ALSO WAS ASKING EVERYONE FOR INFO AND NOT MANY PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT IT..I STILL DO NOT KNOW ALOT--BUT SOMEONE RECOMMENDED THAT I ASK THE SURGEON TO TAKE OUT THE OLD PART OF MY STOMACH AND MORE INTESTINES.. AND ALSO LIKE SOMEONE TOLD YOU THAT THE SURGEON MAY NOT HAVE CUT BETWEEN THE STAPLE LINES OF MY POUCH AND OLD STOMACH.. I WILL PRAY THAT YOU GET ANSWERS AS I PRAY I DO ALSO..  I DO NOT WANT TO GO THRU SURGERY AGAIN--BUT I AM AFRAID THAT I AM GONNA KEEP GAINING AND GAINING AND I WILL BE IN A WHEEL CHAIR AGAIN--I HAVE DIABETIC COMPLICATIONS AND AM STILL CONSIDERED A HIGH RISK.. YES VITALADY--PLEASSE HELP US--EVERYONE SAYS YOU KNOW IT ALL --SO PLZ HELP US OUT HERE.. I WILL ADD U AS A FRIEND AND ALSO ON FB SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH AND SEE HOW WE ARE MAKING OUT AND CAN EXCHANGE INFO ABOUT THIS FISTULA OK? I LIVE IN PA.. SUSIE SMITH

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

goodbyegordita
on 10/13/11 2:36 am - Miami, FL
Thanks Girls for the info. Yes please Susan add me. I am left not knowing what to think. In fact when I left the hospital my discharge papers said nothing about the Fistula just the hernia so I dont even have anything to show my surgeon. Gonna call medical records to see if I can get them to send CAT scan. I am in pain so I need to get this figured out. Plus reading that I can start to gain weight back scares me to death.
The dr that discharged me also acted like the fistula was no big deal. They said it was common but when I came home and googled it to me it sounds like a emergency. Wonder what my dr is going to say. Do you have pain?

Please facebook me or email me at tig1414@aol.com
I dont come on this site as often

Jenny
Follow my new blog on
goodbyegordita@gmail.com

SUSIEQQ62
on 10/13/11 10:58 am - EXETER, PA
Thank Jenny for letting me be your friend.. I have some pain--nothing excruciating just uncomfortable--alot of loud gas and gurgling going on--sounds like  the creature from the black lagoon... I mostly have discomfort where my old part of my stomach is--just did not feel right..You might have to have an upper GI series--When u drink the cahlky crap like in a catscan and then they take a picture or 2 or more and they can see when u drink how the liquid go down and if there is a fistula they will see it and the doctor who did mine said there was definitely a Fistula there and it is definitely leaking from my pouch to my old stomach.I am not sure how the weight loss surgeon is gonna handle this--But they sure are good at  not telling u everything--and that makes me so mad.. I do not want more surgery either--But like you I am so scared that i am gonna gain back al the weight i lost and i never made it to my goal in the first place..  Talk to you later/
HUGS  Susie 

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

hedrider
on 10/13/11 10:21 am - Midlothian, TX
This is, of course, not medical advice.

This one would probably not be considered an emergency unless it were causing you pain or becomes obstructed..  Basically it just means that your new pouch is still communicating with your remnant stomach and food will be able to pass through the fistula.  It was either not transected completely or has regrown together somehow.  This could potentially mean you can eat more food than intended, therefore lose less weight overall.  It depends on the size of the fistula as to what and how much can pass through.

I would give your surgeon a call, he could probably get the results from the hospital if he has an affiliation with them.  Otherwise you just call medical records and get them (there may be a charge).  He will most likely want to do an endoscopy and there could potentially be a revision.  Again, it depends on the size and your decisions.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

SUSIEQQ62
on 10/13/11 11:17 am - EXETER, PA
Jenn --do not get an Endoscopy--I had one and they told me i had one--but this test only takes a look at the inside of your pouch-they can see that a fistula was there--but could not see how long it was or anything--so it was a waste of time--i donot want u to go thru that like i did--If they want you to have a test to prove--absolutely prove that you have a Fistula and if it is leaking into your bypassed stomach--the Upper Gi will see it from the outside and when u drink the liquid they get a good picture of what is happening when u swallow and drink and eat.. In the past year I have had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy and now a upper/partial lower Gi .. The GI series is the best test to find out about this Fistula and what it is doing.. Susie

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

kyutzy
on 10/19/11 3:36 pm - Arlington, TX
 I appreciated your question.  I was found to have a fistula about three months ago.  
The Upper GI showed the leakeage.
Went directly to my WLS and he didn't appear to think it was an emergency.  I have gained about 30 this past year and, like you,I don't want to gain it all back.
My doctor said the surgery to repair would not be considered a "revision".  He explained that he would remove the pouch and reconnect the old stomach, it being long and slender. (Sounds like a sleeve)  No malasorbtion but more restiction.  I have to following up with him next month so will find out what his plans are.
I have a belly full of adhesions and scar tissue along with mesh from an hernia repair.  It scars me.

Keep us abreast of you progress.