Question for those who have had a stricture

Rhonda A.
on 10/16/11 9:47 pm - North Providence, RI
 I am like really losing my mind over here. Last Friday I had an EGD done and I did indeed have a stricture. I kind of figured it since I couldnt keep a popsicle down. It was 8mm and the Dr stretched it to 12mm and it went back to 10mm. I left the hospital feeling great and had no trouble with liquids on Friday and soft food on Saturday. Rewind to yesterday. In the morning I had breakfast fine (1egg 1pc toast couple bites hash). Last night for dinner I made a pork roast (which ive made before and had no problem eating before the stricture). Well I am lucky if I ate 1oz of it before I started feeling funny. Not full, not sick just something not right. Needless to say I couldnt drink anything the rest of the night because I was throwing up every 10-15 minutes. So I went to bed thinking the heck with it and I was up until 4AM choking in my sleep. This was a total flashback to when I had the band and now Im thinking it closed again and the stricture is back. Is this possible? Was it just a reaction to the pork just this one time. Please if youve had a stricture respond to this and give me advice. I really think im going to have a nervous breakdown. i feel like I take 2 steps forward and 10 back...thanks   Rhonda

TTEDR
on 10/16/11 10:42 pm

Rhonda-
I have had two EGD done two weeks apart from eachother. Yes it is very possible to have another stricture. I would be calling your Dr. today to let him no what's going on. My Dr. told me it can take a couple to get the opening the size they want. I wish u the best of luck. Sincerely Tina

franjellica
on 10/16/11 11:35 pm - PA
yes I also had to have two done like 2 weeks apart.. and it is very possible cause they cant stretch it all at one time.. And it is also possible to get one again depending on how you healed.

HW 300  SW 287  CW 186 Surgery Date May 5,2011          

Rhonda A.
on 10/17/11 12:16 am - North Providence, RI
 I am going back in 2 weeks for another EGD. it still needs to be stretched more. Im just wondering if its possible for it to have closed shut so soon after getting it opened

lanagirl
on 10/17/11 2:40 am
I'm really surprised he let you eat food that soon. I was put on full fluids only until it is stretched again and that is 2 weeks. Mine was also stretched to 10mm, although it was just swollen not a stricture. I would find out if you are supposed to be eating pork.

bubbylucy
on 10/17/11 4:59 am - Raleigh, NC
I had a stricture diagnosed at about 4-5 weeks post op. I had it dilated a total of 5 times. Mine started at 6mm and is now 15mm. It took a GI specialits to cure the problem. At dilation #4 he injected a drug called kenalog into all four quadrants of the scar tissue, causing the stricture, whcihc allowed him to dialte easily to the needed mm. You may want to suggest this to your surgeon. They are not as skilled as GI specialtist with difficult strictures.

Good luck
Audra

jkjstars123
on 10/17/11 2:30 pm - Tama, IA
I had to have 5 dilation's, about every two weeks. I was on a full liquid diet for a long time. Each time I had a problem I was put on that diet longer. Until you have to get another done try the liquid diet for awhile.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Rhonda A.
on 10/17/11 8:30 pm - North Providence, RI
 I was wondering why the Dr told me regular diet. Im gonna stick with the softer stuff for now. It really did a number on me though. I think I ended up bleeding somewhere because I had a black stool and my throat was killing me. But it was back to normal last night. Thanks again   rhonda

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 361 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?