A victory but not for me

Rhonda A.
on 11/3/11 10:34 pm - North Providence, RI
 So I just got this overwhelming feeling that I wanted to share on the board. Everyday I come on here to read how we are all doing in our journey. This is what keeps me going. I come on here and look at pics, read about struggles, victories. But it isnt very often that we see posts about how our surgery has impacted the ones closest to us. So I thought I would share some victories that werent really mine. When I was told my band had to come out (slipping) I had to make a decision to convert to RNY or nothing. I thought long and hard about it and decided that I needed the WLS to improve my health. Honestly I was OK with being "fat" the rest of my life just not OK with being a walking stroke or heart attack. So decision made I sat my family down and told them what I was about to embark on. My kids (14,10) were terrified of losing me during surgery. I was more scared of them losing me without it!. I told them that changes for me would mean changes for them. Positive ones. The bad habits I had were no longer and inturn the bad habits I passed to them would cease as well, So beginning with my preop diet I started measuring all food, not just for me but for all of us. If I made them rice and a serving was 1/2c that is what they got. Well FF to today. My GF has lost almost 15lbs just by portion control. She is my biggest supporter and is right there by my side for everything. My oldest daughter has lost 10lbs and my little one about 3. I DO NOT have them on a diet Im just not giving them seconds or oversized portions. Now for the kids they still get to have goodies now and then but I am teaching them how to eat to live and not live to eat. So if you sum it all up we have as a family lost about 63lbs. I am just proud of not only my victories but thiers as well...thanks for reading :-)

Craig C.
on 11/3/11 10:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Congrats! Non Scale Victories come in many shapes and sizes and this certainly qualifies. Keep up the great work by continuing to set the right example.

Craig

tulips52
on 11/3/11 11:27 pm
 I call that the "trickle down" effect. lol You are doing your children such good for teaching them portion control now. Congrats to you!

iowa_missie74
on 11/4/11 1:15 am - IA
That is great that you can be an influence on your friends and family! I have tried converting my family and my daughters aren't really bothered by any of the changes, like using crystal light rather than drinking kool-aid, or using splenda and not sugar, I don't buy soda anymore and if they want something sweet, they don't get large sizes, but rather mini sizes. Ice cream is a good example. Rather than buying a half-gallon, they get a smaller containter and share it. There are so many good changes we can all make. My bf is the only one that can't handle the "fake" sugar, as he calls it, lol.

Kim S.
on 11/4/11 1:32 am - Helena, AL

Just think--if our parents had done that for us, we may not have needed WLS!  Good job and best to you on your journey!

Kim

DisneyLover
on 11/4/11 2:28 am - WI

My weight issues had a lot to do with portion control and bad food choices.  Things I am now teaching my kids how to do...the good versions.

Way to go!

Sarah

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics