Does rapid weightloss mess with hormones...PCOS...TMI

shirleyfhoffman
on 11/26/11 3:05 pm - CA
I have heard that when we lose weight this quickly, it releases estrogen from our fat cells and can make us an emotional wreck, but can it also cause abnormal periods and PCOS?

In October, I had a period from October 1st -19th. I ended up going to the doctor and had an internal ultrasound which found cysts on both of my ovaries. I had another period from November 3rd - 12th and I started my period again today (Nov 26th).

I have always had horrible pain the week before I started my period coupled with huge clots & heavy bleeding (super plus tampon and overnight pad with wings) when I start my period, but my periods have always been every 28 days until now. I have had three children by c-section and have never had a miscarriage. 

The doctor thinks I might have PCOS, but only perscribed tylenol3 with codine for pain and it doesn't work at all.

I don't know what's wrong with me. 

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

EnviousOfAngels
on 11/26/11 3:56 pm
=( PCOS is it's own animal. I had the same as you with the periods, after I had my son, It went full speed ahead.

Invest in a good heating pad, really watch your carbs and unfortunately unless your GYN has some better ideas, its going be very uncomfortable thanks to all of those cysts popping.

They do use medications like Metformin to help control it, I would definately get with your GYN and come up with a plan of action. PCOS sucks!

shirleyfhoffman
on 11/26/11 4:14 pm - CA
They want me to go on birth control, but they can't get me in till Dec. 13th. This is my third period since October. I bled for 19 days, stopped for 15, bled for 10, stopped for 14, and started again today.

before surgery, I would take about 5 ibuproferin every 4 hours the entire week before I started my period because I would start cramping so bad. I would start cramping if I went to the bathroom, tried to exercise, or pretty much did anything except lay in bed. I would start sweating and my legs would even start hurting clear down to my knees. Now, I can't take ibuproferin and I don't know what to do for the pain.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

Renee2be
on 11/26/11 6:22 pm - NC
I have PCOS, and have for years, your periods before though regular sound like mine. 

I to had gotten to where i would bleed for weeks.  like 6 to 8 and have to have medication and sometimes a D & C to make it stop.

I went in to my OB GYNS office and BEGGED for a hysterectomy.  Instead he suggested we try the Mirena IUD.  It worked wonderfully,  it has a hormonal support and immediately the periods start to adjust and become normal.   After 3-6 months i didnot have periods at all.  Now post op,  i am regular as rain,  (all the anitbiotics at surgery, this will cause you to start again with the mirena)  but it is extremely light and the PMS isnt bad.   Eventually they will stop again.

The surgery will help with PCOS in most cases,  that was one of the reasons i had for choosing this.

There is a PCOS forum here though not a lot going on on it.  There is still some good info there.
Renee2be
on 11/26/11 6:25 pm - NC
Oh, and for pain, i found that muscle relaxers did better than pain releivers.............may want to talk to your Dr about that.

takqia1
on 11/26/11 6:36 pm
Have you heard of a tubal ablation? Look into it it's just a in and out surgery and no more periods...AMEN!
emt_amy
on 11/26/11 8:13 pm - MN
I had the same as you pre op. So I decided constant bc was the way to go. Haven't had a period in over 2 years minus the one after surgery from the trauma. And even with bc my hormones are crazy, not really emotional but I have acne like no other. I feel like I'm going thru puberty again.

Trish S.
on 11/26/11 10:23 pm - Upstate , NY
I am still pre-op, but for years I had abnormal heavy bleeding.  Last November I had the ThermaChoice Heat Ablation.   They insert a small balloon into your uterus and fill it with warm water...takes about 7 minutes (you are under anesthesia anyways).  I had my tubes tied years ago, and was done having kids.  This procedure is NOT for women who want to have more children as your uterine wall is ablated...... You usually can't get pregnant after this procedure.  BUT it works wonderfully!!!  No period since last November.  I hope this helps. 
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Carol S.
on 11/27/11 2:03 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Don't wait for your regular Dr. to get on Birth Control.  Call Planned Parenthood.  Continuous BC rocks.  

Tylenol 3 does nothing for cramps.  Talk to your surgeon but many people like Ultram.  I know, the debate is still out about whether it is an NSAID or not blah blah blah, that is why I said talk to your surgeon.

In the meantime, research IUD's.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?