Can I take Doxycycline Hyclate Tablets after wls

RainDiva
on 11/27/11 8:11 pm
Guys I have a minor infection and have doxycycline from pre op. Can I still take this post op.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/27/11 9:16 pm - OH
Yes.  Really the only restrictions on medications after RNY are on NSAIDs and extended/time release meds and antibiotics do not fall into either category (unless, of course, there are some new extended release antibiotics that I am not aware of).

I would see a doctor first, though, because different kinds of infections respond to different kinds of antibiotics and you don't want to take an antibiotic that will not help (not only because it will not help but also because of the concerns with over-use of antibiotics).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RainDiva
on 11/27/11 9:37 pm
thank you so much for the advise.

Dave Chambers
on 11/27/11 11:12 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Although antibiotics are ok to take, you may have some issues with some. I took Cipro on several occasions preop for treatment or prevention of infections after small procedures at the ER, etc.  I used without any issues. I got a bad cut post op and again used Cipro.  About 3 days later, I thought I had terminal diarrhea for a week.  I ended up stopping the Cipro and had to get a script for Lomotil to stop the diarrhea.  My PCP said the Cipro was probably "too good", killing off all bacteria in me, upsetting the natural balance in the colon.  I've use Bactrim on a couple of occasions since then, and have not had any similar issue. My medical chart is marked NO CIPRO, as a result.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

RainDiva
on 11/28/11 12:45 am
I had to take cipro for a deep puncture (my dogs got into a fight and I tried breaking it up bad mistake) but anyways, I know cipro was so good it was so bad. I had to eat none stop yogurt of course this was pre op, but I will be very careful thank you

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics