Gallstones after WLS?

BWB
on 12/3/11 1:03 pm
 Has anyone had gallstones since surgery?  I have ocassional sharp pain under my rib cage on my right side.  A hospital nurse said that is sometimes a side effect of WLS.

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 1:29 pm - OH
I did and yes, it is common.  However, there is a medication called Actigall that often prevents gall stones if taken for the first six to 12 months after surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 12/3/11 1:39 pm
 I was given a prescription for something to sprinkle on my food but it ruined my food. Guess I will check to see the name of it.  I would rather just swallow a pill.

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 2:16 pm - OH
Actigall comes in a pill form.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carol S.
on 12/3/11 10:53 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 I guess it is so common that my surgeon just pulled the gall bladder during surgery on all his patients (I don't know if he still does this).

Hope the medication works for you.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

tiffer4949
on 12/4/11 7:15 am - st cloud , FL
almost 6 months exactly from my WLS i was rushed to the ER I thought i was having a heart attack, when they did the scans I have 8 gallstones one had lodged its self in my bile duck and was causeing my severe pain. the day after christmas I had my gallbladder removed. the surgen said that it was a very common side effect of WLS.

Tootles Tiffer

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 345 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 101 views