ClaudiaW · 0 replies · 30 views
Still hungry
mhaslett1 · 2 replies · 37 views
Happy day
nhowe61 · 1 replies · 70 views
FRIDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 16 views
Most Active

What do we eat instead of pasta, bread and potatoes?

hope2beskinnyB
on 12/28/11 7:46 pm - NC
I came from a home where having mashed potatoes or pasta as a side for meals was a standard.  Obviously, I love them both...What do we eat now instead of these things?  I have such a hard time planning meals...what to have with my chicken on the side with my vegetable?  What to have for breakfast or lunch without my traditional sandwich, toast, etc?  I would love some ideas...
Tessie W.
on 12/28/11 7:51 pm

How far are you out of surgery?

I still eat pasta, potatoes, and breads - just not with every meal.  I buy whole grains and light breads.  If making mashed potatoes I add skim milk and fat free cheese, in fact that was a meal for me when I was early out. 

If you are talking about eating at home, why not just the chicken and a veggie?    

My staple for breakfast is a protein drink or bar, usually drink so I get a jump on my liquids. 

TXKashmir
on 12/28/11 7:51 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I just forgo the starches. I will have a meat & a veggie for dinner. Lunch can be a roll-up of lunch meat and cheese. I miss the starches, too, but I don't miss all the problems that come with being MO. Good luck to you!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

dori M.
on 12/28/11 7:54 pm - MD
 I've been having meat & veggies for my meals and just skipping the starchy side di****'s weird at first but you proably won't have any pouch space for it after eating the meats & veggies. It was strange the first time I made gumbo and didn't eat the rice but it's fine now. For lunch I usually pack a sandwich using  100 calorie whole grain sandwich thins or a salad with cut up meat. For breakfast I eat 1 scrambled egg and 2 slices of turkey bacon or some fiber one cereal.

rayjack12
on 12/28/11 7:55 pm
Instead of bread for lunches I will have those carb control wraps by Mission.  They are good.  Sometimes I have whole wheat bread.

I just don't eat the carb with dinner. 
boilerbabe003
on 12/28/11 8:08 pm
It's all about making changes.  Today I went to Wendy's for chili (thanks to some posts that I read last night) and had it with fat free crackers.  When I have a sandwich I use low calorie bread.  Instead of mashed potatoes I have a baked sweet potato with nothing on it.  And I have switched from white rice to brown rice. 

Before surgery I was a huge carb fan (mostly rice and bread).  Now that I can only eat 4 oz at a time, I don't want to waste it with carbs.  I would much rather have some extra protein or a second vegetable.  But you know, every once in a while I REALLY want a bit of white rice or regular bread and I just do it.  I figure that one bite every month or so is not the end of the world. Funny thing is, most of the time when I have that bite, I realize that my tastes have changed and I don't really care for it anyway.

Good luck!
Ladytazz
on 12/28/11 8:21 pm
I eat gluten free and avoid refined carbs.  I will eat potatoes or rice sometimes but not often.  I love making mashed cauliflower and I also will rice some cooked cauliflower to use instead of rice.  I make pizza crust out of riced cauliflower, too.  For pasta I usually use spaghetti squash.  For other ideas check out some low carb recipe websites.  One of my favorites is the Dukan diet recipe site.  They have a lot of interesting things on it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 110.

poet_kelly
on 12/28/11 8:25 pm - OH
I eat those things, but not often.  Usually at meals I eat more of the main dish and less, or none, of the sides.  Or I just serve a veggie or fruit on the side instead of a starch.  I eat sandwiches sometimes but other times I eat the sandwich fillings without the bread.  For breakfast, I usually do a protein bar or protein shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 12/28/11 8:41 pm - FL
Nik has some recipes using cauliflower for rice, potatoes... zuchinni for pasta... www.bariaticfoodie.blogspot.com

and so does eggface www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 9:16 pm, edited 12/28/11 9:17 pm - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

isn't it funny how we've trained or learned that we need to have meat, starches and veggies at every meal?  I feel like you do, that is weird yanno, to not have those foods, however, I started cutting them out and really with the small amount of food you are eating, you won't miss them.   I may make pork chops and sauted brussel sprouts for dinner, we (me, husband and son) all eat them, no starches, and you know what, I make enough so noone is hungry after and noone has complained.  I think its more of our learned expectations that we have to have those foods with our meals.

Now, I do eat bread, Arnold's makes a double protein whole grain bread that has 7 grams of protein per slice and I'll eat that with peanut butter on it, maybe even with some ripe banana too!  I have had very small amounts of rice (brown) and whole wheat pasta (with pesto and grilled chicken).  I haven't stopped eating those things, but I do it in smaller and healthier versions.  You can substitute the rice by using cauliflower, or make mashed cauliflower instead if you are craving potatoes, just do some atkins (low carb) searches and you'll find alternatives to help you when you have the cravings.  But try to just not have them, tell yourself, I don't need a starch, its okay, I am not missing out by not eating those taters, I have a juicy chicken breast and some roasted green beans, skip the taters!  Oh and I edited to add, that occassionally I will eat a baked tater with some protein on it, like chili and cheese and fat free sour cream, by the time I get to the actual potato part I've full on the other stuff and I really only ingest a little of the potato, so I feel satisfied and that craving has been met.

Good luck!

Cheryl N.
on 12/28/11 9:57 pm - Des Moines, WA
French cut green beans make an excellent replacement for spagetti..  YUM!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

takqia1
on 12/29/11 12:00 am
Glad I read your posts I'm from Idaho...lol....
I'm almost three months out I've ate a little mashed potatoes with protein cheese sauce I bought online I liked it but now prefer califlower by far. We had left over spiral ham that I can no longer tolerate from Christmas and made fried rice. Problem is I'm still not allowed rice so I had to have family members taste it rumor has it it was yummy bowl was empty before morning. I have been told to avoid carbs for a year to focus on proteins. I do miss breads. I've tried nibbles but afraid it will make me too full and I won't get my proteins down. I use lettuce wraps a lot and chobani plain yogurt for sour cream for tacos or spicy shrimp wraps.
In one of my support groups everyone brought a dish if you have a foreman grill flatten out some chicken then sandwich it between grilled zuchini with a little bit of cheese. Great sandwiches!
Every meal presurgery we had taters, pasta, rice or breads I now understand why myself and my family are not healthy. My tastebuds have changed and so has my cooking style guess what?.... My family is also losing a few pounds a month without even trying :o)
Shrimp and marinara sauce, turkey pepperoni and pizza sauce, turkey chili... tomatoes and beans are my other great new friends.
I did try a turkey dumpling that I made for my family with left over turkey, and it wasn't as good as I remembered and french fries are so gross to me now but don't tell my state I may be evicted! :o)
missjann
on 12/29/11 1:23 am
RNY on 12/21/10 with
It's really all about changing your tastes and getting used to eating
differently. Pasta sits very heavy in my pouch and doesn't feel good so
I found that what I love about my pasta is really my home-made, cook-all-day
spaghetti sauce. So, I put it over some kind of squash and now I love it.
I can have a very grainy, low-cal bread, so I have one slice of toast with
peanut butter several days a week for a mid-morning snack. I have
switched to quinoa or couscous instead of rice on the occasions that
rice is an inherent part of a dish, but otherwise I don't miss those things
at all now that I've edited them out of my daily foods. The sandwich thins
are also nice and pita bread works well for sandwiches. Some folks do
the low carb wraps, but I still find them "doughy". If I do a sandwich, I
use 1 slice of my grainy 75-cal bread and either eat a half sandwich or
do it open-face. I also put tuna and egg salad on cucumber slices and in
half of a red or orange sweet pepper and use those for bread substitutes.
    Jan