Which is better Gastric Sleeve or Lap Band????

Painted_minis
on 1/1/12 1:13 am
Hi there all I am seeing a Doct in Winnipeg at the maples Centre and I was going to see about the Lap Band.. But I hear the gastric Sleeve? ( I think that is what is called) is about the same and Manitoba health Covers that??? Am I right? PLEASE help me decide I dont want to pay 15,000 for almost the same result.. Im New here and reading your stories is so helpfull..Please any input!
poet_kelly
on 1/1/12 1:18 am - OH
Better in what way?  Or better for whom?

Everyone has different needs but I think the lap band is not good for very many people.  It has so many complications, most people end up needing another surgery to remove/repair/replace it in less than ten years, and the average weight loss is only about half your excess weight.  So if you are 100 pounds overweight, would you be happy just losing 50 pounds?  And many people don't even lose that much, many actually end up having another kind of WLS down the road.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seashell6417
on 1/1/12 1:34 am - Gaylord, MN
I am confused why you are asking about the Lap Band and sleeve on the RNY board???  Most of us here on the RNY board have had RNY (some have had revisions from other surgeries to RNY).  I am pleased a*****h w/ my RNY.  I researched the sleeve and band procedures as well and, at one time, thought the sleeve was right for me.  In the end I had RNY and do not regret it.  I think you need to list the pros and cons of each surgery you are considering in order to help make your decision.  I would guess you could find what those pros and cons are by posting this question in the sleeve and band forums.
Tami

aanmarie
on 1/1/12 1:40 am - NY
The lap band stinks it didn't work for me or the 4 people that had it done with me.I have the Rny and Im doing much better with this surgery.Trust me don't waste your time and energy on the band.If it doesn't work you will have a have a hard time getting the insurance to pay for 2 surgeries.
rainyone
on 1/1/12 1:53 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
The sleeve and the RNY are covered in manitoba through a pilot project. You need a referal from your dr and have to meet criteria ( bmi between a certain amount, healthy etc) they also refer out of province to alberta if you don't meet the requirements.  The wait is about a year. There is also a manitoba forum where everybody would have more info.

The lap band is around 18 000 and isn't covered - it isn't as effective.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 2:07 am
 My personal opinion of the lap band is that I just did not want to have a foreign object in my body. I did a little research and most of the post that I found had to have revisions from lap band, and as Kelly said they lost about 1/2 the weight as compared to other operations. 

grmadeb01
on 1/1/12 3:22 am - FL
my choices that were covered under my insurance was the lap band or gastric bypass...i had researched the sleeve, and thought that was for me also, but my insurance did not cover that so...for me i did not want to take the chance of having to get another surgery later on down the road to fix or replace anything...i did not like the idea of having to get fills each month....i would have had to drive an hour one way for the fills each month, gas, tolls, traffic in orlando...not fun...i had read there were many problems with the band, my surgeon said it would not get me off my diabtic medicnes or blood pressure medicneds as quickly as the by pass would..i was taken off my diabetic medicines while i was still in the hospital right after surgery...off my blood pressure with in a week of being home...off my acid reflux medicine in hospital also since they fixed a hital hernia i had...so i had met those goals right off the bat....the surgeon said they have never seen anyone taken off the diabitc medicines while in the hospital that quickly...now that i am 8 months post op, i have lost 105 pounds and feeling great....so i am glad i had the bypass...my mother had the lapband 4-5 months ahead of me, she has lost only like 50 pounds if that, she is still on all of her medicines she was taking pre op....yes she can do better with her eating as we all can...but i dont feel that the lap band was the right choice for her, i am not impressed by her surgeons office either..i told her that if she is going to get bypass, she was going to come down here to florida to have it done with my srugeons office...but not sure she will ever do that...
just make sure you do your research to find out which is the right procedure for you and your life style....i guess the major deciding factor for me was, well i can take the medicines or vitamins for the rest of my life....so i chose the vitamins, instead of taking all those drugs i was taking..
have a great day
dbby
FLJeepGirl
on 1/1/12 3:28 am
I had the LapBand placed in 2008 and wouldn't recommend it, had too many compmlications  (personally).  However, I do know of a few people that have been successful with it.  I had RNY revision, from the band, this year and am much happier.  I wish that I hadn't been scared ot RNY (which I was); and had it done to begin with.  Do your research, talk to those who have both the band and sleeve (both successful and not), and make your own education decision.  You may decide on another WLS altogether.  It isn't a decision to be made lightly - good luck and Happy New Year!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/12 3:30 am - OH
 The statistics for the Lap Band are abysmal.  The amount of weight lost is the lowest of any type of WLS, and the rate of additional surgeries for complications is the highest of any type of WLS.  The people in our support group who have the MOST trouble eating early out are not the RNYers, but thse with bands!

There are, however, some people who use it very successfully.  The odds are not very good for that being the case, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cheryl N.
on 1/1/12 4:18 am - Des Moines, WA
Don't go the lap band route, I had the band placed, in 2009 and revised to bypass in 2011 and am very happy.  I love being able to eat without constantly throwing up after every meal with many random tightening. 

Go for bypass or sleeve.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404