What does it feel like when you get food stuck?

myminime
on 1/5/12 7:38 am - Eugene, OR
 I searched around and found other posts that indicated people have experienced food getting stuck, but not really much around what they experience.  I've got some crazy stomach cramping going on that started shortly after I ate lunch, and I'm not sure if I've got something stuck, or it's something different.

I actually called the doctor's office, and they said there wasn't much they could do for me except either have me wait it out, or head in to Urgent Care.  I have no desire to go to UC/ER unless I'm dying :)  so I'm waiting to see if it gets worse.

I figured in the mean time, I'd ask some of my favorite post-OP WLS people what their experiences were!

thanks!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

LJ1972
on 1/5/12 8:02 am - FL
to me it is a very painful pressure left of my sternum.... my nose runs, I salivate like a hound dog.
If it is protein that may be stuck (meat particularly) sometimes papaya enzymes help. - you can find them in the vitamin aisle.
If it continues to happen even if you are chewing carefully and slowly, you need to for sure follow up in case it is something needing more attention like a stricture
vmeyerw
on 1/5/12 8:09 am - belfield, ND
it hurts ! pressure below my breast bone . i just make myself barf and i feel much better
stlfocus
on 1/5/12 8:33 am - IA

To me it feels like I have a bowling ball stuck right around my breastbone.  It is very painful until the stuck food finally moves down.

owlisn
on 1/5/12 8:37 am - NC
 The bowling ball is a good analogy.  I also get slime accumulating in my throat.  I know that I need to go vomit to resolve.  No force needed, it just comes out.
Allison

Chilipepper
on 1/5/12 8:38 am
When something is stuck...you will know it.  No questioning if this is what it feels like..you will know it. Not much you can do....I DO NOT recommend Papaya enzyme..but if you know it is a protein..meat fish or chicken...and you have waited it out...then chew up 2 and it will help it disolve.  You have to remember we don't have stomach acids now to break down food...you have to chew it to a point where it will got through the stoma...a little hole.  A little warm tea will soften it up..

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

LJ1972
on 1/5/12 9:02 am - FL
why do you not recommend papaya enzyme?
Chilipepper
on 1/5/12 9:53 am
Papaya is what is used to make meat tenderizer...in a pinch..its ok, but........try to eat in small bites so you won't have to use it

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Mandy R.
on 1/5/12 9:57 am - Callahan, FL
I was wondering the same thing...

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Tammy G.
on 1/5/12 10:41 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
Why don't you recommend Papaya enzyme? It works wonderfully for the rare occasion that something gets stuck.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 503 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics