Probiotics Help Gastric-bypass Patients Lose Weight More Quickly

nfarris79
on 3/29/12 3:11 am - Germantown, MD
 Cherill,
Currently I'm taking Align brand probiotic, which contains one strain of bifidobacterium infantis (Bifantis), and it seems to be working on reducing gas and semi-regular poos....I've tried cheaper things, like Phillips probiotics and Sustinex, and those may have been multistrains, but like my taste in jewlery, my guts seem to only like the more expensive OTCs! I've not tried probiotics available in natural food stores, so can't speak to their efficacy but I would presume that they may be good things to try too! Being 4 months out, you're still in that phase where pooing is a delicate balance and you're having to create the new science of getting regular - part of what my surgeon calls "learning your pouch". Good luck! and BTW, BEAUTIFUL pic for your avitar!!!
- Nicole

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

karync
on 1/7/12 10:18 am - Martinez, CA
Dr. John Morton is my surgeon and he is FANTASTIC!  He has suggested taking a probiotic but not really stressed it.  He mainly suggested it when I was talking to him about constipation problems.  I remember he recommended a brand but I can't remember what it was.  He mainly stressed that whichever one I took, it needed to be a refrigerated version. 

karyn

qnmimi
on 1/7/12 12:55 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I have read data that suggests the probiotic use is beneficial for us too....BUT I'd be skeptical of any article quoting a specific brand name of the probiotic instead of the type of probiotic itself. Info could have been tweaked by any marketeer looking to make a buck off a well placed brand name.

xtine
on 1/7/12 1:50 pm - San Jose, CA
I trust this informatiom and will start taking a probiotic daily. Dr. John Morton is a local well known and well respected surgeon in my area. Thanks for posting this!

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 241 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics