Do people eat popcorn after gastric bypass?

HouptMom
on 3/10/12 8:09 am - PA
 I am only a month out from surgery, but am just wondering, if I get in enough protein and fluids during the day, is popcorn ok?  Of course it would be no salt and no butter.  I was just wondering.  I understand I don't want to waste pouch space and get enough protein in.  Of course at this point I am still only tolerating soft foods and protein shakes/puddings.
Thanks for any input.
Karen  

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

poet_kelly
on 3/10/12 8:14 am - OH
Well, some people do.  I eat popcorn.  I put butter and salt on mine, though.

I was not supposed to eat it at one month post op,though.  I was still on soft foods then.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

susanjdk
on 11/12/13 1:24 pm

Did your Dr. say you can have popcorn?  I was just filling out a form as part of my process to get surgery and it asked if I was willing to give up popcorn. (I don't know details about that yet.)

Maz-K
on 3/10/12 8:20 am - NJ
i started eating popcorn about 3.5 wks post op.  its one of the few foods that doesnt make me puke.  just a small bag of reg lightly salted or buttered popcorn wont kill you.  I have about 1 bag a week, its a non filling food so you dont want to overdo it by scarfing it every day. 
rbb825
on 3/10/12 3:31 pm, edited 3/10/12 3:33 pm - Suffern, NY
please be really careful - the kernel are very hard to digest and I was told to wait a year plus you need concentrate on protein - you shouldnt' be eating starches at 3 1/2 weeks, I was still on pureeds, never mind junk food - it can also swell up and clog your stoma that early up it is still swollen and healing - that could also get stuck in your suture line and you could end up back in surgery

dasie
on 3/10/12 8:21 am
I waited a very long time before I attempted popcorn.  It swells.  You need to check your plan to see when, and if, you can have it.  It swells, and you don't want to eat some that  then causes an issue for you because you are too early at this point.  Check your plan, and if it is not listed, ask your NUT or bariatric nurse.

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/12 8:30 am - NJ
I eat it, and although it does have fiber "good carbs", it still has lots of carbs.  Now that I maintain, I don't eat it as often as I did when I was losing.  When I do eat it, I pop it on the stove top using coconut oil - soooo good!!
ohioh
on 3/10/12 8:31 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
I eat popcorn (with butter and salt...microwave) everyday..it's my treat!  I didn't start eating it until 9 months out or so though. I probably could have eaten it sooner, but I didn't. I wouldn't try it at your stage though, definitely act your surgeon.

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
HouptMom
on 3/10/12 8:34 am - PA
 Good Advice!  Thanks everyone!  I was just thinking ahead to next winter and the holidays...would be nice to have just a handful or so of plain popcorn when I am around others and want to munch.  I do understand snacking and grazing is a no-no, but I do think realistically there are times that it should be ok, especially if it isn't very often at all!  

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

poet_kelly
on 3/10/12 8:58 am - OH
I don't think snacking is a no-no as long as it fits into your plan.  I eat about six times a day, so one of those times I could have popcorn if I wanted, as long as I made sure I got enough protein the rest of the day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 6 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics