Juicing and RNY?

artroxy blue
on 3/27/12 5:33 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 I'm wondering if anyone incorporates juicing into their lifestyle, post-op? 

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last night, and one of the guys on there lost an amazing amount of weight through juicing. I'm not planning to juice anytime soon, but was thinking about this. It seems that some juicing might be beneficial since it's packed with tons of micronutrients. Since we have some malabsorption post-op, this might be an extra boost? 

I'm not talking about making smoothies, so no additional sugars, etc. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/12 5:38 am - waukesha, WI
For me........Juice has way to much calories and WAY TO MUCH SUGAR.  I use fresh juice (veggies and min fruit) as a treat.  I use whole fruit (has fiber) in my smoothies along with some fruit powders (from health food store and is low in sugar and calories) as supplement. 
KELLY R.
on 3/27/12 5:45 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12 with

You may want to ask your nutritionist the best way to incorporate this.  Juicing whole fruits and veggies is a great way to get vitamins into your system and is very good for you.  A friend of mine who is almost a year out does alot of juicing.  You may want to start by getting a book with some juicing recipes in it.  We have one that mixes fruits and veggies together and I would think that by doing so you wouldn't get too much natural sugar at once but then again you may just want to pace yourself with small amounts first to see how you react to different ones. I know I've read that berries are the best fruits to start with after RNY and they pack some of the best antioxidants.  I also don't see why you couldn't do some juicing and add either a flavored or unflavored protein to it for a great meal replacement :)

Good Luck!!

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

PMarie
on 3/27/12 7:25 am - Bloomington, MN
 Many programs advise against consuming large amounts of juice, as it is high in sugar(even if it is fructose)  and no accompanying bulk.  My program says no more than 1/4 c of juice a day.  Whole fruits are fine.  The goal with most nutritional plans is to use high density foods, especially protein, to keep you full longer.  Juices would 'run through' rapidly and not lead to satiety. 

happy_baker
on 3/27/12 7:45 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Ha, all the way up until you said "packed with micronutrients" I thought you were talking about steroids. Juicing. I was all, "WTH?"

I would stay away from the juicing in large quantities. As long as you're taking your vitamins properly, you shouldn't be having problems getting your nutrients in. Juice is SO calorie dense, full of fructose, and there's no fiber to help fill you up or create a solid bowel movement. You'll likely end up with diarrhea if you consume a lot of juice regularly.

Also, if this is a priority for you at all, consider that juicing is REALLY far removed from the natural state of eating. It's not what our bodies are meant to consume because it's not nutritionally complete.

Of course, the decision is ultimately yours--if you give it a try, you might find your body reacts really well. Or it might not. Good luck, however you choose.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Brittany M.
on 3/27/12 8:19 am
LOL @ "juicing"!!

artroxy blue
on 3/28/12 3:17 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 Thanks everyone! 

I thought about it afterwards, and I think that might be too much natural sugar.  However, I was thinking more of, say, spinach juice, when I originally posted. If I have mango juice, it's all over, Johnny! LOL I guess it's something to talk to the nut about, and go from there. 
wendydettmer
on 3/28/12 3:32 pm - Rochester, NY
 you could always try a green smoothie where you blend the kale/spinach/whatever in with other things.  i have one every morning and it's YUMMO

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

artroxy blue
on 3/29/12 5:26 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 Thanks! I'll give it a shot after surgery! I mean, it's got to make those protein shakes more tolerable, right? 
BrendaNNC
on 1/2/13 11:15 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 12/07/09 with

I've developed osteoporsis  since my RNY and I'm needing to know if I juiced Kale, Collards, and other such greens, would be good for me.  It's hard to eat the greens, even when I chop them up.  I'm wondering, since juice flows through our pouches, would I absorb the nutrients from juicing?

Tammi G.
on 4/17/12 9:31 pm - San Diego, CA
I think a lot of people, mistakenly, assume that "juicing" automatically means fruit juice.  I'm 16 months post-op, RNY, and have just started juicing, having watched the same film.  I have a friend who also had RNY, a month after me, and has been juicing for several months now and is doing great.  We both are focusing on vegetable juices and do mix in some of the pulp.  It makes getting in our veggies & assiciated micronutrients much easier, as the bulk from raw & cooked veggies makes it extremely hard to get in all of our daily servings.  It's a lot easier for me to drink the juice from two cups of kale than eating a plate of kale.  My favorite juice is a kale-cucumber-parsley concoction.  Juicing also makes it easier to make healthy veggie soups.  So far, our labs are excellent and we both have a lot more energy.

Whatever you decide, it's always best to check with your PCP and/or surgeon before you start.  Good luck :)
Living my life for no one but ME!

artroxy blue
on 4/18/12 3:59 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 Thanks for sharing your insight! I am more interested in the vegetable juicing rather than fruit juice, as you stated. I was thinking it would be easier to get vegetables in, and the micronutrients would be better absorbed. And, since I'm already anemic, I figured it couldn't hurt to incorporate one or two vegetable juicings a day. 
Tammi G.
on 4/18/12 5:39 pm - San Diego, CA
You're welcome!  I have a freind/co-worker who had her RNY surgery almost 5 years ago and still battles with anemia.  She was anemic pre-surgery and the surgery just compounded the matter.  But, after ending up in the hospital, she's finally listening to me and taking her supplements every day. 

As for juicing veggies & micronutrients, I've found that drinking the juice slowly is key.  I take about an hour to drink an 8-oz glass.  I use it for a mid-morning & mid-afternoon snack.  It fills me up and helps me avoid the "munchies".  Just make sure you do still keep up with your bariatric vitamins & drink plenty of water, plus keep up with your protein, and you should do just fine.  Again, make sure your PCP and/or surgeon gives the OK.  Always follow your PCP/surgeon's advice.

artroxy blue
on 4/18/12 6:18 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12 with
 Glad to hear she's OK!

I had the "iron talk" with my PCP a couple of weeks ago, so I'm being even more vigilant to keep up with my vitamins and supplements pre-op. Unfortunately, it seems to be unavoidable in my situation, but I'm hoping with a few changes in supplementation and birth control, it will improve. 
Tammi G.
on 4/19/12 9:15 am - San Diego, CA
Glad to hear you're being vigilant with your anemia and iron intake.  My friend was very  lackadaisical with her vitamins & iron, both pre-op and post-op.  Even though I was a surgery "newbie" compared to her, I constantly got on her about her vitamins.  It wasn't until she ended up in the hospital that she finally started listening to me.  Since RNY is malabsorptive, we have to be extremely diligent in taking our vitamins & supplements.  My friend is finally on track there.  Now, I just have to get her on track with water intake and she'll be good to go! LOL!

One thing I have found is, it's so important to not only have a PCP who is supportive of your decision to have the surgery, but make sure that they communicate with your surgeon, so everyone is aware of what's going on, healthwise.

Well, I'm off to whip up a "Mean Green" juice.  Have a great day!

aweavermusic
on 3/7/14 9:15 am
RNY on 03/02/09 with

Did you ever start juicing? I am 5 years RNY post-op, 8 months ago I gave up wheat and all processed foods and yes I juice daily. I see all the comments of people talking about all the calories, but juicing for us that have had RNY should mainly drink veggies. I have wheatgrass shots every morning and drink a green veggie juice at least 6 days a week, I still eat veggies and actually I eat a lot!! I was 360+ before surgery my original goal was 180lbs with a 34" waist. Which I actually met pretty easy. A year ago today I lost my dad, I spent the last 30+days by his side in the hospital and after all was said and done I gained... went up to 186 and it freaked me out (being the same fat guy in my head I am) so a couple months of not being able to lose it I completely changed my eating habits!! I don't take any supplements anymore and my labs are great!! Not to mention I now weigh 158lbs and like I mentioned I eat like a fat guy but I only eat very healthy foods and as raw as possible. It can be done and I would highly recomend it to anyone.

If anyone has any questions or feed back for this post you can e-mail me @ aweavermusic@yahoo.com and while your at it and if your still reading lol check out my youtube page lol www.youtube.com/abrahamweaver (selfish plug)

dasie
on 3/7/14 9:24 am - TX

I love juicing, and at one time did it regularly pre RNY.  I have been meaning for quite some time to begin again.  When I was pre op I asked my nutritionist that question.  At that time, she told me following surgery I should not do it because I would be drinking my calories.  I think she thought I wanted to juice which would prolong my process through the various phases.  I'm certain I will begin juicing soon.

FinallyFit
on 3/12/14 9:52 am

GREEN Juicing is amazing! The benefits are great! Mixing in an apple and a handful of blueberries or strawberries is extremely nutritious and the juice goes straight to your guts. Literally, because there is not fiber to slow it down....you can absorb all the awesome goodness much easier.

When my eating is NOT wonderful, sometimes, I'll overindulge in sweets. Over the years, I learned by accident, that if I drink a 1/2 serving of metamucil directly after eating too much sugar, I never get dumping syndrome. Why? Because the metamucil is full of fiber. It SLOWS the absorption of the sugar. So, I surmise, that by drinking liquid antioxidants, vitamins and ect. through juicing, my gestational tract sucks it right up and I don't just let it go to waste! LOVE IT!

We are talking Kale, spinach, parsley, ginger, grapefruit. ect. NOT bananas, pineapple, mangoes, or even many oranges.

I've been here since 2002, I just like to pretend I am NEW!