1 pound GAIN
HFA70 · 2 replies · 31 views
Test
Miss_Creant · 0 replies · 11 views
Protein Slushy / Icee
MissHolly · 1 replies · 40 views
fingernails
jennyq88 · 2 replies · 60 views

WLS minefields (aka "Eating on the boardwalk")

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/8/12 8:43 pm
RNY on 01/10/12 with
We went to Ocean City MD for the day yesterday.  While my family ate their way up and down the boardwalk (Thrasher's fries, Fisher's caramel corn, Love's shaved ice... and then Sonic for sweet potato tots and onion rings on the way home) I just kept sipping my Propel.  It's amazing how few healthy food options there are on the boardwalk!

The good news is I was down 1.2 pounds this morning from yesterday.  

But I need to find some good, non-perishable foods to eat while navigating the WLS minefields of life.  I ended up having a truly disgusting Atkins bar for lunch.  It was not a happy thing.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

hoosierapple
on 4/8/12 8:45 pm - MA
RNY on 04/30/12

Congrats on your strong will power!  :)

🍎 surgery scheduled 4/30/12  🍎

Neaucora
on 4/8/12 8:51 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 I have not had to deal with that yet. My surgery is on the 23rd. BUT what about sunflower seeds. The ones with the shells. Are we allowed those? I use them now for when I take the girls to the mall or to the movies. I take a spare colored water bottle for the shells. They have saved me. I hope they are still an option after the surgery.
Bettisima
on 4/8/12 9:03 pm
Congrats on sticking to your plan.

You are far enough out that you can pack some almonds or walnuts as an on the go snack. Also look for a protein bar you can tolerate. Quest bars are great, with some very good flavor choices. I also like the Think Thin bars. Always try something at home first, to see how your body deals with it. But it's always good to have something you know is safe or on plan.

Best of luck
BugdocMom
on 4/8/12 9:28 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/11 with
Good for you! Be proud. But, it is definitely easier to make it through those mine fields when you are prepared. I keep WLS friendly foods stashed everywhere. There is an Atkins bar I actually like that I keep in my desk at work for emergencies. And I keep nuts and jerky in my purse and tote bag and car at all times. When an emergency arises and I eat one, I immediately replace it so I won't be stuck without it later. I also like to keep a pack of Kay's Naturals Protein cookie bites in the glove box. They cannot go in the purse or they will crush into powder. I second the Quest bar suggestion. Lots of folks swear by them and since they aren't covered with melty chocolate, they go into the purse well. Great job, again!!
Barb H.
on 4/9/12 12:20 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
This may not work for you, but I sometimes take an insulated bag with the frozen things in them and pack sometime I can eat. I can't do dairy now but I used to pack string cheese. I've also packed deli meat but whatever you can tolerate and enjoy,
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

lillypond...
on 4/9/12 2:12 am
Congrats for your willpower:) Never really noticed how a lot of places does not have healthy food before WLS, cause I was one of the people who did not eat healthy food. But now lol it is so different. I always have nuts, cheese, jerky also peanut butter and crackers, I have low blood sugar, so I keep peanut butter for those days when the sugar wants to drop, I have a cooler that looks like a purse, it comes in handy, when family goes out to the ocean front, and eat eat eat lol I carry my yogurt and cheese and deli meat in it and when they are eating, I am eating too only healthy,, Good luck on your journey, it is a interesting one :)