After surgery no perms but can I dye my hair?

MichelleNC
on 4/12/12 6:49 am
I am going so gray it is horrible. I am curious if the chemicals would be bad for my hair. They said I can't perm it but can I dye it? I don't want to be getting my skinny on and having a head full of gray hair popping out. Also the hair that falls out when it grows back in do you think it will all be gray? LOL I am so fearful of being gray at a young age....I am still young right? I just got my gray hair early!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

_Donna_
on 4/12/12 6:53 am
You can perm it or dye it.
Curious why anyone would tell you you couldn't perm it.

RNY 5-5-2011

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/12/12 6:56 am
Go ahead and dye it. There are lots of quality products out there that won't do a number on your hair, and the color can swell the hair shaft and give a fuller appearance.

I got my gray hair early too, in an odd streak over my left eyebrow--and not the cool Bonnie Raitt king of thing either.  So yeah, I cover that up. I don't think it makes me look old--it just looks weird with my haircolor.
MichelleNC
on 4/12/12 7:01 am
They told me in the surgeons handbook that I can't for 6 months after surgery because of my hair falling out it wasn't recommended to do anything with a chemical to my hair. I asked my friend who is a hairdresser she said she won't perm or dye someone's hair until after 6 months of childbirth because of the hormones issue and your hair. So maybe it is something like that. She did say dying it will make it look fuller so I guess it is ok to dye it good thing!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Lori P.
on 4/12/12 9:06 am, edited 4/12/12 9:07 am - Kenosha, WI

I dye my hair every 6 weeks....I did not stop after my surgery.    I had hair loss but it was not related in any way to my hair dying.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

rbb825
on 4/12/12 12:13 pm - Suffern, NY
I am sorry but I have to agree with your hairdresser.  After major surgery - we lose our hair for several reasons not all due to our nutrition - it is also due to the anestesia and the stress of surgery.  It is a big taxing on our system and some people do fine and others dont.  Dying and perming are putting chemical into your hair and on your scalp which is where the hair roots are and can affect future hair growth.  it is your body and your head but I would listen to your surgeon and hairdresser. 

I know I lost a ton of hair after some surgeries I had for compicatiosn after 2 years - I looked like I had cancer that is how much hair I lost and it was from the stress of the surgeries, the anestesia of 4 surgeries and excess weight loss.  I know how damaged even ther remaining hairs are.  I actually got a wig.  Now a year later, it growing back and pretty thick but not on the top - those folicles are just gone. Around the bottom they are thin and flyaway - you can still the remants of the old thin and lack of hair and I need to get it cut to even it out so it can look decent and like a semi thick head of hair.

But do yourself a favor, it you can stick it out and wait to gt it dyed and permed - i think it will be worth the wait and your hair will thank you

exohexoh
on 4/12/12 7:04 am - West Chester, PA
 i definitely dyed it within 6 months of surgery....

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Kat Kat
on 4/12/12 7:20 am - AZ
I dyed mine, and had highlights, and low lights put in within 3 months of surgery without any issues. The process plumps up the hairs and I definitely needed that with my baby fine hair.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/12/12 7:24 am, edited 4/11/12 7:27 pm - Baltimore, MD
You can perm your hair after surgery. Perming/dying has nothing to do with the digestive system.

ETA: I see your reply above about the falling out of the hair. Yes, I guess that would be an issue. But in the long term yes you can perm/dye.
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/12 7:25 am
you could use henna
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 203 views