Counseling Advice?

hlacy
on 4/23/12 2:21 pm - Chandler, AZ
I am just over eight months out. I have been attending a support group regularly, but have developed some depression lately I believe. I am having trouble adjusting to my new body image, seeking a relationship, trouble at work, etc. I have not been to an individualized counselor for many years - my last visit with one one on one was my surgical consult. I am wondering if I should look for one that specializes in eating disorders, or I am okay with one that is a generalized counselor/psychologist/psychiatrist. I have been on Celexa for several years for anxiety, and I might need a change in meds - I know I will need my PCP or a psych for that.

Just looking for some ideas from others who may have been in my shoes - did you do better with someone who specialized in eating disorders or did it really matter? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

poet_kelly
on 4/23/12 2:41 pm - OH
Well, you don't want a psychiatrist if you want counseling.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors and typically they just prescribe meds.  They usually don't do counseling.

As far as what type of counselor, there was at least one study that found it didn't really matter if people saw a psychologist or licensed independent social worker or licensed professional counselor - outcomes were about the same.

Unless you think you have an eating disorder, I don't think you need a counselor that specializes in eating disorders.  Any good counselor should be able to help with things like depression, relationship issues and body image stuff.  I just started seeing a new therapist, and it turns out she does have some experience with eating disorders, but I didn't seek her out for that reason.  I was looking for someone with experience with depression and PTSD, and she pointed out that people with eating disorders often have histories of trauma, so she's dealt with both issues.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 4/23/12 10:00 pm - Chandler, AZ
Thank you, as always, Kelly!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/23/12 4:00 pm - OH
As Kelly said, unless you have an actual eating disorder (just overeating does not count), there is really no need to seek out someone who specializes in eating disorders.  Most counselors should be competent to deal with relationship, work, body image, and weight issues.  Psychiatrists these days do almost no counseling. They just need to know enough about what is going on and your symptoms so they can prescribe meds.  A Professional Counselor or Psychologist is probably your bet bet.  There are also some Social Workers who do a great job of counseling, but some of them were trained primarily for case management types of things rather than counseling (and it can be difficult findi that out ahead of time).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hlacy
on 4/23/12 10:03 pm - Chandler, AZ
 Thank you, Lora! I knew you'd have some solid advice. I believe it will be easier to go with a generalized LPC, MSW or a psychologist anyway than finding a specialized on that takes insurance :)

Lisa T.
on 4/23/12 11:59 pm, edited 4/23/12 11:59 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
My husband has issues with anxiety and depression. For years the PCP just prescribed a basic anti-depressant. We found that going to a psychiatrist to find the right combo of medication paired with a counselor for talk therapy made a world of difference. He signed the release for them to communicate with one another so he could receive the best care possible. Two years later, he is thriving on a daily basis instead of struggling. I hope you find an avenue of care that works for you.

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?