Cake recipe idea?

cm102869
on 4/25/12 12:15 am - Concord, NC
FobiPouch on 03/15/12
I need to make a cake for a co-worker and wasn't sure if anyone has used the Splenda blend for baking or if that has to much sugar for us to have.

Any other dessert ideas for a Birthday?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/25/12 12:19 am - Baltimore, MD
When you say "too much sugar for us" you mean you are planning to have some cake?

Splenda sugar blend has real sugar in it (via the brown sugar)so it really depends on how your body reacts to sugar.

I personally would bake the cake and not have any though. I did that my first year, even for my birthday. Baked a cake for other folks, did not have any. It's not worth the risk, especially in public.

BUT there are sugar-free cake mixes (I believe Pillsbury makes them). The caviat is they are high in sugar alcohols which can have equally unpleasant effects (painful gas, diarrhea).
hedrider
on 4/25/12 12:35 am - Midlothian, TX
There are sugar free mixes, and I've used regular Splenda (not the blend) for baking with no issues.  It doesn't brown like sugar, but tastes fine.

If you are making it for a coworker, you could just make a regular cake and abstain from eating any.  Or you could make sf for everyone and enjoy a tiny piece.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

cm102869
on 4/25/12 12:48 am - Concord, NC
FobiPouch on 03/15/12

Thanks!  I will try the Splenda without the sugar in it. I just wasn't sure if it was any good and didn't want to make it for everyone and it taste nasty but I will give it a try before I take it into work and use some of my friends to test it first.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/25/12 12:50 am - Baltimore, MD
 Sounds like a plan. You also test it (since again I'm assuming you're doing sugar-free because you intend to have some) to make sure it goes down ok. ALWAYS test at home first. Trust me on this one. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

hedrider
on 4/25/12 12:53 am - Midlothian, TX
Maybe cupcakes?  So you can sample without messing up the cake!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Mary B.
on 4/25/12 1:07 am - Southern, MD
My family (and friends who Ive shared the recipe with) LOVE pumpkin muffins. They are the easiest thing in the world and SO MOIST and yummy!!

One box cake mix
One standard can pumpkin

Mix throughly by hand. spoon into cupcake cups. bake at 325 for about 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Thats all. Makes about 8 cupcake/muffins

Ive used spice and carrot cake mixes. I like to play so I'll add a splash of vanilla, extra cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I'd like to try it with a chocolate cake mix. Ive also added chopped nuts and butterscotch and chocolate chips. NUMMY! I believe this is an old WW recipe...minus the nuts and chips though.

On a side note, they dont really rise, so when you spoon them into cups make them pretty :)
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/25/12 1:34 am - Baltimore, MD
You can easily remedy that by adding some Egg Beaters. Eggs + baking powder make cakes rise.

:)

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Strjen
on 4/25/12 2:10 am, edited 4/25/12 2:11 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I used to make this as well. Used to love making chocolate cake mix with a can of pumpkin. I don't even ice them, its kinda like a brownie. And yes it is a WW recipe. Very good.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

oxfordcat
on 4/25/12 1:27 am - NJ
sugar free cheesecake with almond meal crust.  You can have a sliver and its all good. 
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 286 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views