sexygrandma1953 · 2 replies · 73 views
What would you say?
brandito · 6 replies · 176 views
Post Op Appt
Judi2 · 3 replies · 88 views

10 yrs post op gastric bypass surgery

bmukemu124
on 5/13/12 3:26 pm - LAWRENCEVILLE, GA
I would like to know if there is anyone whom had gasyric bypass surgery, lost the weight 10yrs or less and begining to gain weight back and are considering other weight loss option for instance lap band surgery?
karlbf
on 5/13/12 3:32 pm - stoke on trent, United Kingdom
sorry to answer with a question but is it possible to have a band after a bypass. I thought bypass was the most extreme of options, I might be wrong

birthdaygirl
on 5/13/12 3:37 pm - Lithonia, GA
On May 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, karlbf wrote:
sorry to answer with a question but is it possible to have a band after a bypass. I thought bypass was the most extreme of options, I might be wrong
singer and reality star Carnie Wilson just recently had a lap band over bypass.. she had gastric bypass in 1999 and lost a lot, had PS,osed for playboy, and had 2 babies and weight came back.....this year she had the band over bypass.

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Lady Lithia
on 5/13/12 3:37 pm
There are people who do "band over bypass" (BOB) though I think that given the risks of the band, I'd just rather gain the weight than worry about the risks of lapband surgery.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

birthdaygirl
on 5/13/12 4:13 pm - Lithonia, GA
On May 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM Pacific Time, Lady Lithia wrote:
There are people who do "band over bypass" (BOB) though I think that given the risks of the band, I'd just rather gain the weight than worry about the risks of lapband surgery.

I agree with you.

hockeymom8016
on 5/15/12 5:28 am - NJ
I agree. I would not have the band under any cir****tances.

poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 3:38 pm - OH
I've only regained a little weight.  I would never consider lap band because it has such a high failure rate and so many complications.  If I needed to consider a revision, I would look at DS.  But first I would look at why I had regained and see if I could get my tool to work for me without more surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

birthdaygirl
on 5/13/12 4:14 pm - Lithonia, GA
On May 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
I've only regained a little weight.  I would never consider lap band because it has such a high failure rate and so many complications.  If I needed to consider a revision, I would look at DS.  But first I would look at why I had regained and see if I could get my tool to work for me without more surgery.
I also agree with you.....is it possible to revise to a DS after RNY and what are the options for us....will I be able to take NSAIDS again, and what would they be converting to add more weight loss?

laura_vermont
on 5/13/12 4:48 pm
 I think that my 1st visit would be to a surgeon to see if there were any mechanical issues (stretched stoma, etc.)....... then talk options.  My surgeon told me to contact them if I gained significant weight -- they're there to help.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/13/12 5:29 pm - OH
 I agree with Laura (see your surgeon as a first step to see of there is something mechanically wrong that might be able to be corrected) and with Kelly (determining what you are doing -- or not doing -- that is causing the weight gain is a better option than another surgery, especially one so flawed as the Lap Band).

Personally, I would not consider another surgery.  The band has too many complications and I would not submit myself to the additional malabsorption of vitamins associated with the DS.  Unless you have significantly stretched your pouch or stoma, you already have a weight loss tool that works. I am almost 5 years out and generally maintaining at my "bounce weight" (5-7 pounds above my lowest weight), but have a 5 pound gain threshold; when I hit that, I go back to basics and get it back off.  I increase my protein and water, pay more attention to portion sizes, and eliminate as many of the non-dairy carbs as possible.  That enables me to get the 5 pounds off in 2 or 3 weeks. There is no reason that the same approach would not work for you.  It is very easy to let too many carbs creep in and to have your portion sizes slowly increase until you are eating more calories than you think or intend.  Even with another surgery you would need to figure out what you were doing that is causing the regain or you would likely face regain again down the road even after another surgery.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Created2bGreat
on 5/13/12 7:39 pm - NY
Yes, I am nine years out and have gained back my weight, but I never got lost all my weight to begin with. I have a bmi over 50. My highest weight was 513. My weight before surgery was approximately 440. The lowest I got down to was 330. I went back up to about 420. Last year I decided to lose the weight on my own and I am at 312, but can't seem to get under 300 no matter how hard I try, so I met with my surgeon to discuss my options. He is trying to convince me to do a new procedure which he calls the Apollo, which is a restorative procedure that is incisionless. All they do is restore the stoma and pouch back to post op size
donnas1960
on 8/26/14 7:08 am - Dallas, HI
with

My name is Donna and I am 10 years out and I have regained about 50 lbs. I don't think my insurance will pay for a revision.