Life expectancy post-gastric bypass???

Laura in Texas
on 5/18/12 10:28 am - Cypress, TX
RNY on 09/17/08 with
I know I am most likely going to live longer now that I am a healthy weight compared to what I would have if I were still obese, but how does our life expectancy compare to other people our own age who have NOT had weight loss surgery??

This article was interesting...
http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/wlsstats.htm

Laura

47 years old   5' 7" tall   Measurements:  36"-27"-36"   lap RNY 9-17-08  Dr. Garth Davis    
brachioplasty 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright   LBL/BL 6-28-2011 Dr. LoMonaco

aaaaaaa
on 5/18/12 10:45 am
RNY on 08/11/09 with
 Very interesting article. Thank you for sharing. :D

cajungirl
on 5/18/12 10:47 am
It is interesting, the article relates to information back in early 2001 mostly.  I definitely think my life span could be longer since WLS, especially since my comorbidities are in remission.  Even if I don't make it to "old age" 80ish the years I've been given to enjoy because of WLS are well worth it.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

lillypond...
on 5/18/12 11:04 am
 I really don't think about it-- I figure when your time is up your time is up-- so just enjoy the life you have now, but it was a interesting article-- and since I have lost 185 pounds, I am loving life :)
Strjen
on 5/18/12 11:06 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
Exactly! This is exactly what I told my husband. If something happens, then it is meant to be, everything happens for a reason. I plan on living my life to the best of my abilities & when it is time to go, then so be it.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Strjen
on 5/18/12 11:02 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
My husband read this with me & said if he had read this before I had, had the surgery I wouldn't of gotten it. Not that he can make decisions for me, as I probably still would of gone through with it. It is very informative. Wished there was a more recent study tho.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

clsino
on 5/18/12 11:10 am
RNY on 10/06/09 with

It would be interesting to see some statistics that were a bit more recent. It seems that with more and more surgeries going on a long term study should be done.

I am fairly certain that the quality of my life would not have been great had I not lost weight. I was already on 2 meds for high blood pressure, 2 meds for high cholesterol, and was on the road to diabetes. All of these diseases shave years off ones life. So for me even if my life expectancy isn't as long as a person who hasn't had WLS surgery, the quality of my life now far makes up for it!

Christy

AlohaJen
on 5/18/12 11:12 am
RNY on 09/05/12
Wow, that gives me alot to think about..... I am supposed to have my RNY on Sept 5th.... and will begin doing some more research on long term results.....   

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

laura_vermont
on 5/18/12 11:16 am
I think that for some people, wls comes too late.  For example, vascular issues sometimes don't resolve and the individual has to continue to use compression stocking even when they lose the weight.  We're a risky population to begin with - and sometimes, the damage is already done.

I don't regret it for a moment - and hope that it prolongs my life.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

TXKashmir
on 5/18/12 11:23 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I must echo the sentiment that quality of life is more important to me than length of life - and I definitely have an improvement since losing the weight!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/18/12 11:42 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
Looking at the last several generations of women in my family, if I make it past 60 I'll be over the moon.

That is all.
manda2108
on 5/18/12 11:44 am
 For what its worth my aunt had her gastric bypass done in the mid 80's..she is now 68 and still going strong. My plan is to keep have labs done on a regular basis and add vitamins as needed. Who knows what medical advances and research has in store for us in the next decade. 

Turtle Lynn
on 5/18/12 12:44 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I've already surpassed my life expectancy by 6 years by initially getting the Lap Band when I did and losing 100 lbs.  At that point I was told that in the condition I was in I'd be lucky to make it to my 37th birthday.  I was 36 at the time, so, I've already reaped the benefits and with my revision to RNY coming up, I plan on extending my life expectancy even more. 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

avidreader
on 5/18/12 2:36 pm - Cary, NC
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I am not a doctor, but I do not believe these studies.  I especially don't believe the part about the "only 3 more years" theory.  I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes, severe back problems and was lazy to boot - all of these are gone now - you can not tell me I have not extended my life by greater than 3 years (unless there's an accident or cancer or something like that) with these problems cured or in remission and exercising now, too.  Sorry, don't believe it.

The article also touched on my first thought - many people refuse to make the necessary lifestyle changes needed to live the WLS life - refusing to take the necessary vitamins that we KNOW we must take - is that the fault of the surgeon or the surgery, or our own stupidity, for lack of a better word.  Having this surgery and NOT following the rules may even shorten our life.

I, too, am of the belief that when it's my time it's my time, but I think my time has been greatly extended in quality and quantity.

Just my 2 cents!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
cicerogirl
on 5/18/12 2:36 pm - OH
 You have to keep in mind that many people who have WLS are in terrible health to begin with and the weight loss may not come fast enough to avoid a serious problem, and that the damage we have done to our bodies with years of obesity is sometimes not reversible, especially when it comes to heart and circulatory issues.  I do agree that quality of life is SO much more important than the number of years.  The side of the family that I take after is not very long-lived, so I would not have expected to live to be 90 even if I had not had any weight issues at all.

It is quite surprising, though, that there are still no controlled studies on this, since the WLS population is now more than adequate to do a study with a good sample size.

Lora

6 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Day_dream_believer
on 5/18/12 5:47 pm

I had a friend who past away last year from breast cancer.  She was only 56.  She did everything right.  She was thin, and ate well all the time.  She avoided processed foods.  She exercised.  She didn't smoke.  She didn't drink.  I have seen others that smoke, are overweight, and never exercise that live well into their 80's.

We have to do the best we can to live a healthy life and make the most of the time we have.  I would much rather have a healthy 60 or 70 years than  spend my life dealing with the complications of obesity.  We do all we can, but we do not determine when we die.  ( Actually I think self determination may play a role, but that is another topic all together.  I've seen too many loved ones hold on for a few extra days or hours until the time was right.)

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/18/12 6:04 pm - Windsor, Canada
RNY on 07/05/06 with
 This website was run by a lady named sue widmark who was very anti wls after having difficulties after surgery.  Her whole site is very anti wls

7 Years Post Op RNY.  Read about my first year here and Click here for My LongTimer blog. (my newest journal!!).    I love answering questions of preops! Send me a message anytime to add me to fitbit or facebook  ****Ask me about the Windsor WLS Support Group****      Facebook group : bariatric long-timers for those 3 yrs plus!             
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children... to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." *~Ralph Waldo Emerson~*

cicerogirl
on 5/18/12 6:56 pm - OH
 Thanks for mentioning this.  I wondered what the site was just because of the odd way the "article" was worded.  I went back to the site and went to the main page.  It is full of anti-WLS stuff... and some very dubious "information" and statistics (as was the original article).  The site has articles written by people *****gret their surgery but are pretty vague about exactly what the post-op problems were (one mentions years and years of vomiting and one just mentions it being the worst decision of her life with NO explanation of why).  

I also Googled a couple of the names of the "professionals" cited on this web page. Let's just say that what I found did not exactly give me any reason to give any particular credence to what they have to say.

Lora

Lady Lithia
on 5/18/12 8:27 pm
I didn't click the link, but just the info I read in this thread led me to believe this was an article I did read a long time ago and the anti-WLS community is as alive and well as the WLS community.... I've read articles from fat-fans and WLS-phobics and all in between. and anything from someone with an AGENDA is a tough pill to swallow as "unbiased"

If someone asks me if they should have WLS I would never say "go for it" I would want to know why they want it and what they expect out of it, because I honestly don't think it IS right for everyone.

Too often people refer to supposed experts, but they don't hold up to real inspection.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

cicerogirl
on 5/18/12 8:44 pm - OH
Yes, clearly some of the professionals in the article are making their living (and selling books) criticizing WLS and have an agenda (which is why their credibility is zero with me).  I also have not been able to find ANY info on the alleged study by the Mayo Clinic in 2000 that showed a 20-25% rate of "life threatening complications within five years".  I found several other studies by the Mayo Clinic that year, but nothing even close to that one. {sarcasm on}  Imagine that.  {sarcasm off}

Lora