Question about morphine

Dravens_Mommy
on 5/20/12 4:52 am - VA
I will be 22 in 2 weeks and last November I found out I have gallstones went I went to the ER thinking I had a kidney stone. Last month I had my first "attack" and they gave me morphine thourhg IV pushed over a period of a few minutes. Every single time the nurse pushed the morphine I had this surging intense pain throughout my entire body with the highest concentration of pain in my neck and lower legs. This pain was some of the worse I have ever felt. I told my husband who told the nurse and all she said was "ok." Noone came to check on me and noone said if it was an allergic reaction or if it was something else. Needless to say I am scared sh*tless to ever have morphine again for fear of the same thing happening. So I have two questions.
1. Does anyone know what kind of reaction this was?
2. If I request to not have morphine after my surgery is there something else they can give me?
poet_kelly
on 5/20/12 5:02 am - OH
I have no idea what kind of reaction it was but sure, there are plenty of things they can give you if you have surgery besides morphine.  I think they gave me Percocet when I had my gall bladder removed.  There are a number of other options.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/20/12 5:07 am - OH
I have no idea what caused the pain you experienced, but just tell them when you ate doing all the surgical check-in/prep stuff that you had a bad reaction to morphine and wod prefer something else post-op.  The are lots of other things they can give you (Dilaudid is frequently given instead).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dasie
on 5/20/12 5:16 am
I am not a medical professional, but my father was allergic to morphine.  He did not know it, and it just about killed him.  He had throat concer and underwent a 15 hour surgery...extremely extensive.   He had never had morphine, and you can imagine the tubes running into and out of him.  When he came to, he was having the reactions you described.  He could not communicate, but he was an extremely smart man.  He quickly realized it was the morphine and was somehow able to communicate this to my step-mom who was able to tell the staff.  His recount of that pain has alarmed me so much that anytime I am having a surgical procedure or emergency like I had last week, I always let them know about my father's allergy.  I don't even know if I have had morphine.  The drug they gave me last week was not morphine, and I was told it was 4.5 times more potent...and that did not touch my pain until I had received mutliple doses.

I completely understand your concern.  You need to share this with your doctors.

MaleNurse78
on 5/20/12 5:21 am - Bossier City , LA
 It could have been many things from a slight reaction to a badly positioned IV. I dont care for Morphine myself not due to any reaction, it is the morphine hangover afterwards that gets to me. 

lynnc99
on 5/20/12 5:42 am
I had a reaction to morphine after my RNY (not what you describe though) - my surgeon simply took me off the drip and replace it with oral pain medication which worked fine. There are options and I simply wouldn't take the risk.
AUDREY A.
on 5/20/12 5:57 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
I have a different reaction to morphine, so they gave me dilaudid instead and then switched
me to a liquid pain med.

Audrey

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 4:51 am - WA
Morphine makes the top of my head feel like it is going to explode from the inside out. It is enough to make me squirm and grimmace. Wonder if I am having a reaction too?The feeling goes away quickly though. Besides if I am in enough pain to warrent Morphine then I want that dreamy feeling for Pain meds but Morphine does not give me that.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 495 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 352 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
Recent Topics