NUT confused me about protein drinks

Dravens_Mommy
on 5/29/12 8:03 am - VA
I saw my NUT for the first time this past Wednesday and she said that out of all of the protein shakes they recommend, the Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder packs are the cheapest. She suggested that I buy these and mix them with 8oz of FF milk. I was just looking on the website and the powder packs only have 5g of protein each!! I'm supposed to do 2 per day for the 2 week diet and 3 per day for the first 2 weeks post op. How am I supposed to meet my protein goals with so little protein in each shake?????? Thanks!!
Cherokeesage
on 5/29/12 8:21 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I think they make them in sugar free if you choose to use this product.    Add unflavored protein isolate to get more protein. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 8:43 am - OH
They do not make them sugar free.  They make no sugar added, which have five grams of sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 8:42 am - OH
You wouldn't meet your protein goals with that.  I don't think they are worth bothering with, they have so little protein.  I'd buy a good protein shake instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

trishb07
on 5/29/12 10:38 am
RNY on 06/06/12
I bought pure protein powder at Walmart, I mix it in a blender bottle with cold water tastes just like chocolate milk. 140 calories 26g protien

hedrider
on 5/29/12 2:16 pm - Midlothian, TX
 They're the cheapest option because they contain very little protein.  Actually, if you get a good quality protein with 20-25 grams per scoop you are getting the equivalent of 5 packs of CIB.  Much cheaper and more appropriate in my opinion.

It was recommended to me to drink a CIB in milk to increase my protein and calories.  I opted for a protein drink instead.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 490 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 346 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics