Iron infusions and side effects

rbb825
on 6/3/12 10:15 pm - Suffern, NY
infed is iron dextran which causes much more allergic reactions than venifor which is iron sucrose. You might want to talk to your doctor.

I have never heard of them injecting the benedryl into the IV - premedications are supposed to be taken ahead of time so they are in your system and have a time to kick in before the IV iron gets into your system.

I take major premeds because of allergic reactions I had years ago - I take the follow meds at 24 hours prior, 13 hours prior and 1 hour prior

40mg prednsone, 50mg atarax (like benedryl) 300mg zantac

Lisa R.
on 6/5/12 2:32 am - CA
 They give me the Benedryl in the IV right before I get the iron. It works great....with out it I get flushing, itchy nose and headaches.  

I would never take prednosone!  OMG!  That stuff makes me gain weight as well as boost my appetite feel like eating my arm off.  I would rather suffer the side effects then take that drug.  

The Infed worked wonders for me.  WONDERS!  I am back to normal and my infusion are over...for now at least!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
rbb825
on 6/5/12 6:42 pm - Suffern, NY
I take the prednisone for 3 doses - 24 hours before 13 hours before and 1 hour before and along with Atarax (like benedryl but stronger) and very high dose zantac (used for allergic reactions in high doses) - when taken like this, the prednisone doesnt make me hungry or make me gain weight.  When I used to take it for my asthma and I had to take it for 5 days, yes it made me want to eat the entire world but taking it this way works differently.  You say you would never take Prednisone - if it was the only way you get the IV iron, you would take it especially if you needed it to make sure you were able to breathe.  It is easy to say to never.  Be glad you have no breathing problems, sometimes it cant be avoided.

When I took IV iron 10 years ago, I had such trouble breathing, I almost stopped breathing - I had to be admitted and was hospitalized for 3 days and ended up on high dose IV steroids, breathing treatments and IV benedryl and who knows what else.  It was terrible.  I was so iron deficient that I had to do it 3 times over the next 6 months anyway  (They gave it in much higher doses then - 1 gram and now they only give 200mg at a time - so 5 times the dose) even though I was so allergic.  They gave me the same premeds as I take now but the same thing happened but they did it in the hospital and it was done with my allergist and my pulmonary doctor present so they could treat me as the problems arose.

Then I didnt need it until now, 10 years later but my current hematologist was so affraid to do it that he started me on a miniscule dose of 50mg first and then 100mg, then 150mg.  I was okay with those so this Thursday I get to have a normal dose of 200mg for the first time but the premeds are absolutely necessary.  It is worth some prednisone to avoid 3 days in hospital.

I was also told that when people are allergic to one brand, they are supposed to be switched to the other brand.  Years ago, I reacted to both Infed (iron dextran) and Venofer (iron sucrose).  This time, they are using venofer since it causes much less allergic reactions.    They have actually considered taking Infed off the market since it causes so many severe reactions.

M M
on 6/3/12 3:12 am
 Could be -- I feel like I have the flu when I get iron infusions.  
Brittany M.
on 6/3/12 6:36 am

Yup - I was always very fatigued for about a day after my infusions (I had 8 last year).  It also too****il probably the 6th weekly infusion to feel any different, so hang in there!

Paatyn-Den
on 8/3/14 12:40 pm
On June 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM Pacific Time, datorres wrote:
 Does anyone know if fatigue,  terrible gas and bloating is a normal side effect of iron infusions. I had my second one yesterday and all I could do today was lay around and dose off. I am so bloated that I'm up 3 pounds from yesterday. I feel terrible, I thought this was going to help my energy level.

This has happened to me many times that I do not want to go back to the doctor to get the infusions.  The doctor cannot explain why I am so tired at a greater level than when my iron is at a low level.  I become so tired like kryptonite is holding me down that I have to go to sleep where ever I am. 

MyBariatricLife
on 9/10/16 1:06 am

I realize your post is years old, but I found it via a Google search just now. I am looking to see if there is a causation of bloating from IV iron. I have had two treatments now with Fereheme and both times I am so very bloated that I cannot tolerate it. I don't know with certainty however if it is coming from the infusion, because I have had this problem on-going. But it was cleared up before I got the infusions! If anyone has new feedback I sure would appreciate hearing from you.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views