No Carb Diet I Need help

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/12 6:09 am - OH
Cheese has carbs because the milk it is made from has carbs...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jennifer M.
on 6/3/12 4:28 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 Typically, it's not a no-carb diet, but a very low carb diet.  Try to keep your carbs under 20 grams a day.  With that, you can have milk, cheese, nuts, and green, leafy vegetables.  Try mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.  Use avocados with your salad. Snack on almonds or edamame.  You can usually have some salad dressings.  For breakfast, have a protein bar (you can have sugar alcohols which make it pretty easy to find an appropriate bar even at the convenience store... after surgery, you may not be able to have sugar alcohols).   There are low carb breads, but I wouldn't bother with them right now.   

It's going to be brutal for 3-5 days, but after that, it isn't too bad.  Eating at restaurants is typically not a problem.   

Good luck!

chowell
on 6/3/12 1:07 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
My info says to cut out sugars and carbs and increase protein it says i can have some veggies but is not clear as to which ones.

Cecily Howell                

Jennifer M.
on 6/4/12 12:33 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 You can have lettuce, cabbage, green beans, peas, waxed beans, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, zucchini, avocados, squash, spinach and cucumbers (I'm sure there are more, but I listed the ones I can find in my grocery store).  

Avoid potatoes.  Limit carrots and sweet potatoes.  

Check the carb count on beets.  Most people would say they are a diet staple.  I really HATE beets, so I've never checked.  

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 4:45 am - OH
Why are you planning to do a no carb diet?  We actually need some carbs in our diet to stay healthy.  Do you mean a low carb diet?  Did your doctor or dietician advise you to do that?  If so, they should tell you what foods to eat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chowell
on 6/3/12 1:04 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
I need to shrink my liver before surgery. It is only for two weeks.

Cecily Howell                

LiciaLou
on 6/3/12 3:05 pm, edited 6/3/12 3:09 pm - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
I would go with the assumption that they mean low carb; as in >20 g per day. If they want no carbs; save yourself the headache & just do liquids (ie broth) for 2 wks.

When I did Atkins, I lived on omelets. The mornings I would have a cheese omelet, lunch was ham, swiss & mushroom, then for dinner I would have a philly cheese steak omelet. You can also do chef salads with ham & eggs. I would make little snack bowls w/sliced pepperoni, cubed cheese, greek pepper rings, black olives & a touch of italian dressing. Try doing a google search for low carb recipes .... I have found some great recipes for beef & broccoli with cauliflower "rice". GL!

Just as a side tip: Create an account on MyFitnessPal.com and track all of your meals; it will really help to make sure you aren't exceeding the carb levels. I was munching out of something thinking it was Atkins friendly until I logged it - dang near died!

ETA: Beef Broccoli Recipe:
Ingredients
  • 3/4 pound flank or sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain
  • 3/4 pound broccoli florets
  • 2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced or smushed through garlic smusher
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
  •  
  • For the beef marinade
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the sauce

• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth

1 Marinate the beef: Stir together the beef marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Let stand for 10 minutes

2 Prepare the sauce: Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

3 Blanch the broccoli: Cook the broccoli in a small pot of boiling, salted water until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.

4 Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and instantly evaporates upon contact. Add the cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the beef and immediately spread the beef out all over the surface of the wok or pan in a single layer (preferably not touching). Let the beef fry undisturbed for 1 minute. Flip the beef slices over, add the garlic to the pan and fry for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until no longer pink, Pour in the sauce, add the blanched broccoli and bring to a boil. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens, 30 seconds.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 86 views