Losing too much weight?

vkhill22
on 6/3/12 5:31 am - Duluth, MN
I just had my year anniversary. I started at 260 and am now 113!! That's 147 pounds in a year!! I just got my gallbladder removed and the doctor is hoping that will take care of my constant diarrhea. I'm just wondering if anyone else had lost too much weight? Had constant diarrhea? I know that we are suppose to level out after a year, but I do look too skinny. I never ever thought I would complain about being too thin!! I am a type one diabetic and this surgery has been a lifesaver. My A1C is now 6.2!! I was close to 10 before I started the weightloss process. I am just so grateful for the surgery I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining. I'm just a little concerned.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 6:02 am - waukesha, WI
Just some thoughts....  (First, how tall are you)

1.  Increase fiber.......try Konjac root...........great for diabetics will help keep blood sugars stable and help with diarrhea.
2.  Increase healthy fat.......... olive oil and avocodos.  (should be better for you after the gallbladder surgery.
3.  Increase healthy grains
4.  Eat more often
5.  Make sure you get a lot of protein in to help with muscle development (you may want to try a weight gaining protein mix for weight lifters from health food store.  (Only until you stablize and put some weight on).
Hopefully, this will help stop your weight loss and keep your blood sugar in control.  These are recommendations by my nut.  for me some or all may work for you.  I am also a diabetic type 1.  Starting A1C of 11 on U-500 insulin 80 units 3 times a day.  A1C 5.3 with 3 to 4 units of humolog
with meals.  This surgery has really helped me.  I am now starting to get my muscles back.  Although, I am not to thin.  I could lose another 15 lbs.  I am 8 months out 5'8" currently at 160.
Good Luck. 
vkhill22
on 6/3/12 3:02 pm - Duluth, MN
I am 5'4". I eat every couple hours or so. As for protein drinks, I became lactose intolerant and can't keep them in me. And yes, I've tried the soy ones too.
I think that's part of the problem, I've lost so much muscle and I tend to look like I have a serious illness.
I just talked to my sister that had this same surgery over 5 years ago. She said she went way below her goal also but eventually put on 15 pounds and has stayed at 125 pounds ever since. I guess time will tell. Thank you for your response and congrats on your weight loss journey.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 10:11 pm - waukesha, WI
Try powder egg protein or garden of eden makes a veg. protein.  You can find in health food store or on line.  Good luck.
Cherokeesage
on 6/3/12 7:15 am
RNY on 02/24/12
Congrats on your success.  My surgeon has his patients that lose to much drink a protein drink that is higher in calories.  I've always had issues with diarrhea so was very worried about what RNY would do.  There are foods that make it worse so I avoid them.  (protein bars, oatmeal, to much salad, popcorn, milk, beans and sugar are a few of mine)  My Dr has me add benefiber or a fiber product such as benefiber to my protein drink and it does work to bind things together.  I was skeptic but it does work for me.  I just had an issue with a jello salad that I thought would work.  (jello, cottage cheese and low cal cool whip)  Only took 1/2 cup to give me the runs.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

nfarris79
on 6/3/12 7:22 am - Germantown, MD
 Congrats on the weight loss & hA1C! No thoughts on the runs - fiber & probiotics? On trying to stop the losing, increasing calories & carbs can really put the brakes on! Of course, low glycemic & healthy carbs - dairy, whole grains, etc - no diving head first into Oreos or bags of chips is advised here!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Ladytazz
on 6/3/12 8:17 am
I agree with the probiotics.  I have Greek yogurt at least once a day and that helps.  Also, do you take calcium and iron?  Those things really firm me up.  My problem is constipation now.
As far as losing too much weight, I got a bit too low so I added the healthy fats, full fat products when possible like sour cream and cream cheese.  Nuts and nut butter are good snacks.  Extra protein drinks, maybe add 1/2 and 1/2 if you can tolerate it.  Eat at least every 2 to 3 hours if you can.  Watch the refined carbs like sugar and bread.  That may help in the short term but could come back to bite you in the ass.  I've seen many people worry about too much weight loss at 1 year who are worried about regain at 3 years.  There will usually be a bounce back at about 1 1/2 to 2 years for many and that may take care of the problem.  At about 1 1/2 years for me I regained about 6 or 7 lbs without any change in my eating.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Eliza55
on 6/3/12 10:52 am - PA
I've lost weight very fast - currently I'm about 3 or 4 lbs above being underweight.  I don't have constant diarrhea, but I had a picky pouch for the first 8 or 9 months, and couldn't eat much.  Now, I'm just too active for my calorie intake.

I second Tazz's recommendations -  Although I need to hold my weight for a while, no one has suggested refined carbs.  Refined carbs are my trigger foods, so I'm managing some hypoglycemia with a little whole wheat breat (not something Tazz eats), as beans, nuts and fats still don't sit well with me.  If they did, those would be my preferred foods.

So I'm eating every 2 hours  - protein shakes, meat, some fruits and veggies, and a slice of bread with cheese before I exercise.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

walterswife
on 6/3/12 11:23 am
I am not diabetic and never had problems with persistent diarrhea but I did lose much more than I ever expected I would lose.  At one point last summer I dropped down to under 118. I also figure that I have at least 5 lbs of excess skin.   I looked dreadful.  I saw some pictures of myself and I was horrified.  My children were concerned that I was anorexic.

Per the recommendation of the dietitian, I upped my intake, added a snack and some good fats and additional carbs from fruit and vegetables.  I have had problems with protein shakes since surgery because they are just too sweet. I am still thin but now bounce between 123 and 127 and feel comfortable where I am.

It was a little frightening at first but I didn't want to gain too much as I was already paranoid about bounceback.  My surgeon does not give goal weights because he says that your body stops when it is ready.

Hope you feel better soon.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/3/12 12:56 pm - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with
 I haven't had WLS yet, but my gallbladder is dying. Docs hope it can stay in til surgery. I'm having constant diarrhea for about a month now. So it should get better here soon for you, I would think. Wish you luck.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 521 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?