Wish my sleep study would hurry up, but...

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/3/12 7:39 am - VA
So, I have my sleep study on Thursday night and I really wi**** would hurry up and get here so I can be one step closer to my surgery as this is the last step before submitting to insurance. I plan on staying awake once I wake up Wednesday morning to ensure that I can fall asleep for my study because I have insomnia and don't want to take any sleep aids. However, as much as I want to get it over with, I wish I didn't have to do it at all. My little boy is gonna be 2 on Friday  and I have never been away from him overnight. I know it's good practice for when I'm in the hospital but I'm still nervous.  I guess I'm just having a little self-pity party. Anyways, thanks for "listening."
poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 7:41 am - OH
So you'll have been awake for about 36 hours when you go in for your sleep study?  Did your doctor recommend doing that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hollie313
on 6/3/12 8:18 am, edited 6/3/12 8:19 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I think they want to see how you sleep normally....just like you do at home.  You
may want to run the "staying up for hours" method by the sleep center or physician
who ordered the study.  I know they measure everything...including how long it takes
you to fall asleep.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

wendydettmer
on 6/3/12 8:24 am - Rochester, NY
I remember the first time I had to stay away from my kiddos, it was tough! But hopefully they do will great and you'll be one step closer to surgery!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Sheryl G.
on 6/3/12 9:14 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I just had my sleep study this past Friday. I was glad to get a Friday since I am usually exhausted after working all week long. I have insomnia too, and I was worried about it taking a long time for me to fall asleep. I sometimes take Sonata to help me fall asleep (which works sometimes and sometimes it does not) and the tech said that since the doctor didn't write that I could not take it, she let me take it. It helped me relax a little but didn't really help me fall alseep faster.  It was a long night and I hope I don't have to do it again. I will say that I had an amazing tech who answered tons of my questions and really knew her stuff. That really helped me relax. Also, the room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Still it was very hard to fall asleep and I kept waking up trying to find more comfortable positions and also wondering if it was over yet. I was so tired when I got home that I went to bed until noon!

The tech said it usually takes 2 weeks for the results to get to the pulmonologist but offered to email her supervisor to let them know that I am hoping to have surgery very soon. She even told me in the morning that she did send the email. I thought that was extremely thoughtful of her.

I remember how hard it was for me to be away from my babies (now 16 and 21!). Maybe you can sneak in the house after your study early Friday morning and decorate your son's room and have birthday cake for breakfast?! That would be fun!

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/3/12 9:39 am - VA

Thanks for your reply. As per your suggestion with my son- he is autistic and still cannot eat anything that is not pureed so cake is out for him. Plus, I won't be picking it up from the bakery until that night. It was a good idea though. lol

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/3/12 9:36 am - VA
The reason I decided to just stay up is because I often do not fall asleep until 2am or so even though I have to be up at 6:30am at the latest to get ready for work. I figured I'd rather fall asleep fast so they can get their data versus them not getting enough and me having to redo it.
Eliza55
on 6/3/12 10:28 am - PA

I agree with the others that you should check with your doc on preparations for the sleep study.  Also, don't have any pre-conceived notions going into it.  As part of my pre-op process, I had to have 2 sleep studies - I have severe sleep apnea, but only during REM sleep, and during the first study I only had REM sleep after about 3:30 or 4 am...so you're plan for them to get the data early may not work.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 497 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 437 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 400 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?