chellenc · 4 replies · 46 views
Good Morning
Gypsyqueen5 · 5 replies · 61 views
Most Active

Catheter

Monisha M.
on 7/8/12 7:21 am - CA
RNY on 07/11/12
Hey all...so surgery is in 3 days and now all these questions are coming to mind that I forgot to ask at the hospital.

So I'll ask you guys...did any of you have a catheter??

I think I'm more afraid of the catheter than the actual surgery! LOL
Monisha        
courtwillbehealthy
on 7/8/12 7:23 am - burlington, VT
 they put it in after you go to sleep. 
Sherry T.
on 7/8/12 7:39 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
and they took mine out before I woke up so I never really knew it was in there.  I just knew going into it that it would happen.    Good luck!!!   Sherry
iisme
on 7/8/12 7:56 am

For me I woke up with a catheter. I was told I had to have it in me for 24 hours and they were measuring output.
They also wanted me to walk very soon after surgery but it's so hard with that stupid catheter! I told my surgeon I'd walk a mile for him if he took that stupid thing out.  lol   Didn't work.....had to have it in for 24 hours. (sigh)
Oh and if you are nervous about it, there is nothing to be nervous about. It doesn't hurt, it's just cumbersome. When they remove it, it doesn't hurt either.

10 pounds loss pre-op
Dave Chambers
on 7/8/12 8:07 am - Mira Loma, CA
RNY on 05/10/06 with
Oh yes, what a lovely experience.  First major surgery I had, and the catheter goes in while you're asleep. I didn't realize I had one until a family member had to alert a nurse "the bag is FULL".  But for a guy, the removal wasn't as painless as I thought it might be. I was sure a moment of anxiety, and the the mild pain, and fear of "breaking something" was defintely there. Without the catheter, you'd likely be sleeping in a wet bed for sure. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/8/12 8:21 am - OH
As the others have said, they insert it after you are "out", and sometimes they remove it before you awaken.  I have, unfortunately, had a large number of surgeries (both lap and open), and most of the time they have already removed it, but occasionally they want to leave it in for 24 hours or so.  I have had the same surgeon order it removed right away for one surgery but want it left in for another, so you will really need to ask your surgeon what (s)he does for RNYs. 

Even if they leave it in, you will still be on pain medication when they remove it, so you may not feel anything at all.  I have never had it actually hurt.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Emily P.
on 7/8/12 8:23 am - Southgate, MI
RNY on 11/10/10 with
Almost didnt go thru with surgery due to catheter.  Im so glad I didnt chicken out.
It was nothing.  You'll be fine.  Seriously.  I was a crying freaking out psycho mess about the catheter.  I lived.  Obviously.  LOL 
It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

desireelynn
on 7/8/12 9:25 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Believe it or not I did not have a catheter I assumed going into it that I was going to get one but my surgeon said that he is trying to stay away from catheters therefore I was the experiment and it went wonderfully :) I believe that must do insert one but its generally taken out before you wake up or that is how my sdurgeon used to do it. Good luck :)
garnetgal
on 7/8/12 9:36 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
My surgeon doesn't use catheters, so it really is best that you ask. We were told in advance that he didn't use catheters so it made it easy. Immediately upon coming from the recovery room they had me walk to the toilet and pee in the "hat" so they could measure output.

Monisha M.
on 7/8/12 10:06 am - CA
RNY on 07/11/12
Thanks everyone for the posts! I guess I will just wait and ask the surgeon on the day of surgery if they will do it or not.
Monisha        
aquapolyester
on 7/8/12 12:58 pm
RNY on 07/17/12
This is my first surgery.  I too am freaked out about the catheter, but my surgeon's office has gone above and beyond explaining what will go on with my body before, during and after surgery. Knowing the facts has helped me mentally prepare for this.

If you have a list of questions yet, I would write them all down, and call them tomorrow.  

Also, you'll want to watch for a possible UTI afterwards.  Although most catheters do not cause any kind of infection, it is still a way that bacteria could be introduced into your bladder.  Ask your surgeon what to watch for.  
HW = 400  SW = 352  CW = 330

SaraBurns
on 7/8/12 7:57 pm - Newton, IA
RNY on 06/05/12
they put it in after you are asleep. they took mine out the night after surgery.. my surgeon came to see me before he went home for the day and they told him that i was up and mobile so he said take it out ..

Surgery 6/5/12