Sick From Yogurt!

Coach2012
on 7/11/12 7:15 am, edited 7/11/12 7:27 am
Is anyone else not able to tolerate yogurt? I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant because I'm able to drink milk, and eat cheese, but for some reason I always feel sick after eating yogurt. I've been experimenting with different kinds (Chobani, Yoplait, Fage, Dannon, Light & FIt) because my NUT really wants me to incoprorate it into my diet but the only kind I find I am able to tolerate without feeling sick is the Yoplait Kids kind, w/ only 5 grams of protein. I just had half of a Chobani Champion Kids yogurt and feel sick!  The other weird thing is how filling it is..I feel like it's wet cement in my stomach right now. Bleghh. I'm ready to just write yogurt off as a loss and stop trying it all together because it's one bad experience after the next. 

hedrider
on 7/11/12 7:18 am - Midlothian, TX
 How much sugar is in the yogurt you are eating?  If it's the flavored kind you are taking in added table sugar - perhaps that is making you feel ill.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Coach2012
on 7/11/12 7:26 am
 The Light n' Fit kind had 5 grams, Chobani Kids has 13 grams (6.5 actually consumed), and the Yoplait Kids kind which I'm able to eat has 9 grams. The Fage & normal-sized Chobani have nearly double that, so when trying those I only ate about half as well. I really don't know what would be causing it...the consistency of the Yoplait Kids yogurt is really different from the other yogurts (which may be because it's not as nutritious!) so I'm wondering if that is the problem. 

seanseosamh
on 7/11/12 7:46 am
Nutritionist advised to NEVER eat the flavored Greek yogurts.
I get the fat-free flavored yogurts and mix it with half plain yogurt.
I'm only 9 days post surgery and right now, yogurt is a real treat but I've alwas liked it.
Next time around I may get some of the plain Greek yogurt to mix with the flavored .

The first spoon of anything sometimes feels like it hits bottom with a thud.
For yogurt, I've not been taking a full spooful.  I put the spoon in the yogurt just to coat it.
Pause, lick and repeat.  This way I think it takes 15+ minutes to eat.
Ruthiev
on 8/18/15 1:29 pm

I just ate a Chobani flip yogurt with almonds, chocolate & coconut & got so nauseated!~  It must be the sugar for me and the fact that I'm in my upper 50's.  However, when I eat plain nonfat yogurt with honey or Truvia and fresh fruit, I don't get sick at all.  I guess I need to give all of my sugary yogurts to my neighbor.  No more getting the sugary ones on sale just because they're on sale!

garnetgal
on 7/11/12 7:50 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 I can't eat it either. The side effects aren't worth it. I can eat cheese and drink milk,  but yogurt no go. Makes me nauseous at best, or I just can't keep it down. So, I've given that up as a food source.

Coach2012
on 7/11/12 7:55 am
 Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I feel like I have a very "tough" pouch and am able to eat many of the things some people have trouble with, with no issues at all. I've never even thrown up since surgery, so it just kind of boggles my mind that something like yogurt which so many people are able to eat gives me this much trouble and makes me feel this nauseous. I think I'm going to do what you did and just accept defeat :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/11/12 8:23 am
The yogurt you eat is flavored - you get small dumps on it... lol... Sorry - most of us eat plain (low fat, full or Fat Free) Greek yogurt.
Even plain Fat Free (FF) plain yogurt - has too many sugars for me, as compared with proteins. I dump on that also.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/11/12 8:21 am
Flavored yogurt has sugar or fruit added . You most likely dump on it, I knwo I do.
I can tolerate plain Greek yogurt - then I add some SF sweetener to it. Only when I knwo I can tolerate that - I may add some fruits (but not too much)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

artroxy blue
on 7/11/12 9:16 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Have you tried other yogurts, like soy or goat's milk? They're a little harder to find, but might be viable options for you. Also, can you add in cut up fruit or berries to your yogurt, if it's plain? That might be a way of getting around the sugary yogurts. 

Yogurt is going to have *some* natural sugars in it from the lactose, so check out the ingredients list for added sugars, like evaporated cane juice, fructose, etc. 

Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 216 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views