B12 injections what is the strength you take?

beth1010
on 8/1/12 7:32 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with

I'm struggling to get my PCP to write me a script for me to do these at home.

For those of you that are doing them at home is it difficult?

My issue is that I have to pay a $25 copay for a nurses visit each time I go in for an injection without a PCP visit. It starts to get costly when it would be covered on my pharmacy plan for cheaper.

He seems to think that since my B12 numbers are good I really don't need monthly B12 injections anyway. but that's a whole OTHER issue.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 7:46 am
I give myself a shot once a week. So paying 25 each shot is out of the question.
I got B12 script - no problem giving myself a shot - but I make sure i use thin needles. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 8/1/12 8:18 am - OH
Yes, it's easy.  Did you show him the ASMBS guidelines that say we need to supplement with B12 after RNY?  Your numbers are good because you have been supplementing.  If you stop supplementing, they will not stay good.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Btrue2u
on 8/1/12 10:06 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
I live in Canada but the B12 here comes in 1000mcg/ml 10ml bottle ...so 10 shots at 100mcg each.  But I can walk in without a script it cost me $4.49 for the bottle and $5 for the needles ..the pharmacist showed me how to inject it and where .....is this a controlled substance in the USA? I think it is cheaper than going through insurance and paying the co-pay and doing it yourself ...There are 10 doses in 1 bottle but I figure 8 since drawing it up and stuff so 8 months worth for like $10...... Not sure if it is the same there.....Good Luck   

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

poet_kelly
on 8/1/12 10:20 am - OH
In the US you have to have a script to get the injectable B12.  You can get sublingual B12 at any store that sells vitamins.  But you need a script for injections or for the nasal spray.  I'm surprised to hear you don't need a script for the injections in Canada.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Btrue2u
on 8/1/12 11:21 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
No you don't need one here ...I walked into my shoppers drugmart and it is behind the counter but I was able to just ask for it (they keep the iron behind there too) ...it does have an RX# if I wanted to get a script from my doctor and it would be mostly covered by my husbands work plan ...but it was so cheap I didn't worry about it and even though we don't pay for doctors visits or tests ..I was too lazy to go to the doctors just to geta script ..bad eh?? When I head back to the doctors I will get one and leave it at the pharmacy.  I love our heath care here ...our taxes maybe higher but it sure beats having to pay for a doctor visit or a trip to the ER and even surgery is covered ...I truly don't envy your heath care system.  Jenn      

Btrue2u
on 8/1/12 11:31 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
how much does it cost there ?

poet_kelly
on 8/1/12 11:43 am - OH
I'm not sure what it costs if you don't have insurance.  With my insurance, I just pay $2.60 per prescription, and I get ten doses of B12 for that price.  My insurance will not cover the syringes, I had to pay for those myself, and that cost me about $25 for 100 of them.

Btrue2u
on 8/1/12 11:57 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Plus the cost to go to the doctors too to get the script right ?

poet_kelly
on 8/1/12 12:00 pm - OH
Yes.  With my insurance, I pay 20% of all doctor's visits, which works out to something like $15 to see my PCP.  But she writes a script with a bunch of refills on it so I don't have to see her about that often.  Usually I just ask her for a new script when I have to see her about something else, I don't make a special trip there just for that.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 504 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 213 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?