angel91e · 1 replies · 49 views
The scale moved!
MissHolly · 1 replies · 47 views
calcium citrate flavor advice
catalina07 · 6 replies · 63 views

Long term effects

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/12 8:40 pm - WA
 What are the long term side effects of RNY?
Sara L.
on 8/3/12 1:06 am
For me.....I am expecting to continue enjoying normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar, no GERD, reduced risk of breast cancer....all kinds of cancer for that matter, great cardio vascular condition and a big fat ego brought on by all the male attention.

How's that for a list of side effects????

Sara in Maui

lmaosmileyfacenz
on 8/4/12 2:22 am
 hahaha LOVE IT
gbsinsatx
on 8/3/12 3:06 am, edited 8/3/12 3:23 am - San Antonio, TX
Whatever you make of them!

If you are serious about losing the excess weight and keeping it off, the possibilities are endless!

Of course you must understand we are talking about a lifetime commitment. This requires knowing the real battle is not physical, but mental. You must be prepared for this challenge. If you have not dealt with the issues that have led you to obesity, you need to start there before surgery.

You need to set yourself up for success. If you slip up, you just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, put one foot in front of the other and keep walking forward. Do not wait until the next day, week, month, etc. Start once again from that exact point of your "perceived failure".

On a personal note, I no longer have Sleep Apnea, I can now walk without a cane (Osteoarthritis in knees and hips), I now have a low Cholesterol reading and I no longer take a Beta-Blocker for my heart racing and blood pressure spikes.

I have lost 200 pounds and have been maintaining this loss since 11/2011. I can buy cute clothes off the rack and no longer have to order clothing from a catalog. I got my "sexy back" and it shows! I feel awesome and I'm loving life! *Of course it helps if you accept the way you are before surgery. This does not mean you have to like the state you may be in currently, but that you ackowledge you are lovable and need to make some changes to become healthier for yourself.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'3.5", Consultation Weight: 331-12/1/2009, Super Morbidly Obese BMI 56.8, RNY Surgery Weight: 281-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126-12/11/2011

Current Age: 60, Current Weight: 134-11/1/2014Normal BMI 23.4, Relative Risk from ABSI of 0.7, Total Weight Loss Maintained: 197 Pounds, Measurements: 36D Bust, 28" Waist, 38" Hips.  

Laura in Texas
on 8/3/12 4:43 am - Cypress, TX
If you do not take your vitamins, the side-effects can be permanently disabling and can lead to death.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/3/12 5:35 am - OH
The only negative long term "side effects" I have ever heard of are reactive hypoglycemia and vitamin deficiency related and therefore are completely controllable (so I don't really consider the vitamin ones side effects).  There are some poeple who have rather unique reactions after having RNY (e.g., seizures), but those are extremely uncommon.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Neen L.
on 8/3/12 7:15 am - Arlington, VA
Everyone has their little quirks after RNY, but generally if you follow your rules it leads to a new healthy life.

For me, no matter what kind of oral iron or B-12 I took, it just didn't absorb. I grab a B-12 injection every so often and did iron infusions for awhile until I was able to manage it with dietary changes.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html