insurance?

jboyd6210
on 8/9/12 9:30 pm
I had RNY rny done monday 8-6-12! Love it just nervous about the bill. How much did insurance cover on everyones surgery? I never asked to see how much this would cost! The bill hasn't came in, does it take awhile?
madeformore
on 8/9/12 10:00 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
Every insurance is different but I was pleasantly surprised at how much mine has covered. I am 7 wks out today and I think we've had all the insurance EOBs (explanation of benefits) come in...they started coming through about one month out.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

bugsmommy
on 8/9/12 10:09 pm

It is going to depend on your personal insurance coverage.  What is your co-pay/deductible?  That's what I would be going off of. 

Cherie

Cherie

jboyd6210
on 8/9/12 10:25 pm
I believe my copay is 20% but not exactly sure lol but thank you for the help!! I am sure the surgery is well worth it, just worried about the payments lol
bugsmommy
on 8/10/12 1:43 am

Then that's even harder.  Your bill with be 20% of the negotiated rate with your insurance company.  Many hospitals have a self pay rate and a negotiated insurance company cost.  Wish we could be more help.

Cherie

Cherie

poet_kelly
on 8/10/12 1:34 am - OH
You had surgery and didn't look at your insurance policy first to find out how much insurance would cover and what you would have to pay?  Um.... OK.  Why don't you look at your policy now?  Do you have a copy for surgeries?  Or do you have to pay a percentage of the cost?

You will probably get several separate bills, one from the hospital for your room, board, and nursing care; one from your surgeon for his services; possibly one from the anesthesiologist for his services; maybe one from radiology if you have an upper GI after surgery to check for leaks.  If you had lab work done pre-op (hopefully you did) you will get a bill for that.  Then you will have to make your copays at your follow up appointments with your surgeon, and will get bills each time you have to get labs post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hibrahim
on 8/9/12 10:00 pm, edited 8/9/12 10:02 pm - St Paul, MN
 We have a 3500 deductible max. So my surgery came to 1800 - I did a 10 mo. Payment plan on that and used $600 of my HSA upfront. So not bad at all I would say ;) and yes billing takes Forever!
hibrahim
on 8/10/12 5:01 am - St Paul, MN
 P.s. you can always see if the hospital has discounts, payment plans, etc. some even will delete your bill if your income is low.
Bren0430
on 8/10/12 12:05 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
 If you had a max out of pocket amount you'll probably hit that with the 20%. My max was 5000 so I had to pay that, now I'm 100% covered for everything else this year. If your bill is 30,000 the 20% will be 6000, it depends on you max out of pocket. 

Princess Brandy
on 8/10/12 12:12 pm - PA
 We had a max out of pocket as well. Now everything is covered, even scrips. 
        http://poundsago.blogspot.com/.  My daughters weightloss blog, would love if you all support her in her journey. 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404