OT - question for teachers

johns-wife
on 8/27/12 10:02 am
 I noticed that many of us are teachers so I thought I could post a question here. I have an 11th grade pre-functional English speaking student in my English class. I asked him to write his answers in Spanish and I would have someone translate. The trouble is the child was a farmer before coming to the us and does not read or write in Spanish either. I love his work ethic but all my ell strategies won't work for him. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas about how to bring his reading and writing skills up to grade level?
Hillery82211
on 8/27/12 10:11 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm not a teacher but I commend you for looking for a solution to help this young man.  
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
kidnamedtoad
on 8/27/12 11:19 pm
Some smart phones have an app where you can talk into the phone and it will translate it for you.  This way he can give his answers orally instead of in written form.  I'm surprised he's mainstreamed into a regular ed class. Does your district have a newcomers  class?  If he's in 11th grade and not literate in either language he probably at this point needs to take intensive ELD and literacy classes for adults. 

I had a student who came from an Asian country last year and she has not only caught up to her peers in one year she surpassed some students who were born here. But...alas she was literate in her home language first and only needed to learn English. The literacy skills she possessed transferred.
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
Adrianne_Dawn
on 8/28/12 8:55 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 Yeah seems strange to me they have not put him into a class where he can learn how to read and right in Spanish first and then move on to English.  How did he test out at 11Th grade if he can't read or write? 

Can you get an interpreter to help him? He really needs to have a tutor to help him get through his own language barrier first. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 170 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?